1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS New to Seraphon/AoS

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by cuteskink, Jan 8, 2020.

1. cuteskink
    Cold One

cuteskink Well-Known Member

So, a quick preface. As the title says, I am new to both AoS and Seraphon. Decided to get back into the hobby after a good 10+ years absence. I am also new to this site, so forgive me if this is posted in the wrong place.

Right. So what I'm wondering and hoping the good people (lizards?) of Lustria can provide some clarity on, is if I should get the Start Collecting Box. I've been doing a lot of research over the last week or two, both here and on other sites, and the majority of what I've found is that Skink-mass is the way to go. So, given that, it makes the start collecting box a bit irrelevant. What do you think?

LizardWizard and Erta Wanderer like this.
  2. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

welcome to the jungle sir glad you could join us.
    as to your question ya the start collection box doesn't have a lot to ofer us competitively but the models in it are a joy to build and paint. if you want whats good(comparatively) in our army you looking at skinks the slann astrolith bearer the engine of the gods razordons and ripperdactals

LizardWizard likes this.
  3. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

It really depends on what you want to do with your army.

If you're looking to play competitively, yes, summoning lists built around a slann, astrolith bearer, two endless spells, and hordes of skinks are the only way to play in the current meta of early installment weirdness and power creep.

If instead you're wanting to do something more thematic or fun (and let's be honest, a lizardmen/seraphon army just isn't as interesting without its big dinosaurs), there's nothing stopping you from collecting whatever you want. The Start Collecting box is also a steal for the models you're getting, and then some if you're up for the challenge.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    LizardWizard and Erta Wanderer like this.
  4. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

well said i like bringing bastiladons with me even thou they arnt very good we are here for the big guys and maybe someday they will be good

ChapterAquila92 and LizardWizard like this.
  5. cuteskink
    Cold One

I just found that post last night! Cool stuff. The main reason I'm even considering the start collecting box.

6. cuteskink
    Cold One

That being said, Eternal host is supposed to be at least decent/playable. I think Lizard Wizard has made at least one post about it. (I don't know how to tag people)

7. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

in casual play yes it can do well be careful of high rend/mortal wounds and you'll do fine

ChapterAquila92 and LizardWizard like this.
  8. Random Lizard
    Cold One

Random Lizard Well-Known Member

I tend to avoid playing eternal starhost as it almost always turns into feelbad games (either you get blown up by mortal wounds or they dont have ways to deal with it at all). Thunderquake is solid of in casual games but the models aren't cheap.

The start collecting box should still be a great purchase based on the value in it (same price as a single carno) and i doubt that post-update seraphon will still be skink spam.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    LizardWizard likes this.
  9. The17thYak
    Saurus

The17thYak Active Member

Welcome! The SC box is one of the best value one out there, especially if you take advantage of the kitbash options as mentioned by Chapter. The thing to note is that while most of the models in the SC are currently sub-optimal that could all change given (as I am sure you will have noticed by now) we are all expecting a new battletome to drop very soon... though we've been expecting one to drop for a few years now

LizardWizard and ChapterAquila92 like this.
  10. cuteskink
    Cold One

Yeah that's a big thing I've been considering... The fact that i could build a list and it become absolutely unplayable anywhere in the next year is... off putting, to say the least.

LizardWizard and The17thYak like this.
  11. cuteskink
    Cold One

Guess I'd better buy 2 blocks of 40 of both saurus warriors and skinks JUST IN CASE

Erta Wanderer likes this.
  12. cuteskink
    Cold One

But seriously. What should I do?

13. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

get a slann i doubt they will be bad a few star priests and then pick one of lizardwizards lists that you like and build towards that
    or just wait untill our new book comes but that could take a long time

cuteskink likes this.
  14. cuteskink
    Cold One

good old lizardwizard

15. knave
    Skink

knave Member

The best thing you can do is buy the models you like, and that you would enjoy building and painting.

Meta can change at the drop of a hat, and keeping up to date with the most competitive build can be expensive and frustrating. You can still play, still win, and still have fun using a sub-optimal list.

16. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

Dracothion’s tail is somewhat viable. It allows something similar to deep strike being used by space marines. You can contain up to 1000 points of units in reserve and can drop them down. the list relies on saurus knights to screen while carnosaurs take out big monsters. The real damage comes from some razordons and Ripperdactyls