1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS New to Seraphon. Building my Lizardmen Battalion Box and later Expansion.

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by YourSwordisMine, Oct 2, 2016.

1. YourSwordisMine
    Skink

YourSwordisMine Member

Hello all!

I just acquired a Lizardmen Battalion box, and I've decided to start a small Seraphon army. We play at 1000, 1500, and 2000 points, so I am planning to build for those point totals. I'd like to Build for 1000 points and then expand up to the next bracket using the same models each time. I've been reading the Seraphon Battletome, and I really like the Saurus with their Guard and Warriors and I think I want Saurus to be the backbone of the army.

So, I want to start building on my Seraphon while I wait for the last of my Slaves to Darkness models I ordered come in. But I dont know how I should best built my units. Thus I turn to the wisdom of this community. Here is what I have so far:

Saurus Guard. These guys are pretty straight forward, only one weapon choice. Do I build them for two units of 5, or one big unit of 10? I'd eventually like a lot of these fellows so my guy says a unit of 10.

Saurus Warriors. Here is my first real quandary, Clubs or Spears? I have 20 of them, so should I build one large unit with all clubs or all spears or go with a unit of each. Again, my gut says 20 with Spears to take advantage of the 2" reach.

Saurus Knights. I only have 8 of them, so I'll be building 5 for now. I really like the look of them as they are riding dinosaurs. I definitely want to use them. Lances seem to be the best option, they only have a 4+ to hit compared to the +3 of their Blades, but on the Charge the lances get better.

Skinks. I only have 12 of them, and I really dont know how to arm them. I like the idea of the blowguns and using them more as a fast ranged skirmishing/harassment unit. But I dont know what is best for them.

Expansion.

Where do I go from here? I'm looking at getting the Start Collecting set as a giant T-Rex appeals to me. It also seems to be the best bang for the buck. I'm also thinking about a Star Priest and an Eternity Warden as well.

Thoughts?

Bowser likes this.
  2. Zheddikus
    Chameleon Skink

Zheddikus Well-Known Member

Hi! Welcome to the forums.

About the Warriors, if you run them in a horde I recommend Spears, while you lose one on the hit you gain an inch of range meaning more hits in the long run.

Knights, the lances are my preferred build. The mortal wounds really help, and if you build the firelance star host it really racks up.

Skinks are a lot of fun. I recommend blowpipes and shields. They are so squishy that the range and ability to ignore rend really helps.

The start collecting box is a fantastic deal! I started off with the Battalion Box and the Start Collecting and it's a pretty solid way to start out. The star Priest is a great way to get some magic support and the serpent staff iso a great ability. And it procs on 5s with a horde of 20 Warriors.

Bowser likes this.
  3. PJetski
    Chameleon Skink

PJetski Active Member

Build Guard into 2 groups of 5. You can always run them as 1 group of 10 later if you want.

Expanding the list - you should look at getting some of the large Monsters into your list. Carnosaurs, Stegadons, and Bastiladons are all good but avoid Troglodon because it is more of a niche pick.

After that try mixing in some of the Skink heroes for magic support or Saurus heroes for an offensive boost to your Saurus.

From there you can round out the army with some of the artillery beasts (Salamanders + Razordons) and/or some flyers (Terradons + Ripperdactyls)

Bowser likes this.
  4. YourSwordisMine
    Skink

YourSwordisMine Member

Thanks everyone.

Been reading the Tactics threads. Think I've figured out how to build my models now.

Warriors are definitely going Spears as I want to run them as one big horde. The idea of that appeals to me.

Skinks I'm going to run with Blowpipe and Shields.

Knights are definitely getting Lances.

As to expansion, I am definitely getting the Start Collecting for the Carnosuar and and more Warriors and Knights. I'm probably going to get another box of Guard as well.

As to heroes, I want to get a Starpriest, an Eternity Warden, and probably the Astrolith as well. I also want to get a Bastiladon for teh lazors!

Are there any battalions/formations I should work towards?

Bowser likes this.
  5. Zheddikus
    Chameleon Skink

Zheddikus Well-Known Member

The formations really depend on your playstyle. With the SC Box convert one knight into a Scar-Vet on Cold One this would give you firelance, very aggressive. If you get another box of Temple Gaurds and the warden, you have the eternity starhost, very defensive. Bloodclaw is a fantastic star host for bigger games, a balanced, imo, army. Another fun one would be the shadowstrike starhost

Bowser likes this.
  6. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

For 1000 points I would do eternal starhost or firelance starhost, and then when you build up to 1500 and beyond using the same models but would switch to bloodclaw starhost. Truly amazing batallion. Mixed with eternal, firelance or Shadowstrike truly deadly.

7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

You won't know this but you can make warriors into guards with spare parts from your guard sprues ;)

8. YourSwordisMine
    Skink

YourSwordisMine Member

Made a Scar-Vet on Cold One
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bowser and SlanntaClause like this.
  9. YourSwordisMine
    Skink

YourSwordisMine Member

I did not know that, and that is good to know, thanks!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  10. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Scarvet looks awesome! Can't wait to see it painted

11. YourSwordisMine
    Skink

YourSwordisMine Member

I created another thread in the painting logs section, but neither the Scarvet pics or the Sunblood pics have been approved by the moderators yet. The last of my Slaves to Darkness army came in this weekend, so I'll be working on finishing assembly and then start painting them. The Seraphon will be a slow growth project when I need a break from them.

Bowser likes this.