1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Next Saturday I am playing my first tournament, and I need help deciding something

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Nielspeterdejong, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

Nielspeterdejong Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,

Next saturday I will join a all day long tournament play with my little brother. We are feeling very excited about it, and we wanted to hear your opinion.

You see, we just did two matches against that Chaos army with the Hell canon I once talked about. And I sadly got destroyed twice since I didn't have any guards (he said that, after I had won my very first match against him, that if I played guards against anyone they would refuse to ever play with me again). I decided to just say "screw it" and deploy them anyway, since he is the one fielding a Hell canon.

However, I had the idea for a really strong army, great for objectives I think, but it kinda felt cheap. And I was thinking about choosing a slightly different army so that it was more varied and fun. But I don't want to make it too weak since I really don't like losing (lol). It will be tournament matches with 2000 points, and we play 3 scenarios from the books. .

So first I"ll list my very first Army idea, and then the second one which I'm thinking about using and which would be more fun:

A)
    Heavenwatch Starhost: 100
    Skink Starseer: 160
    Skink priest: 100
    Bastiladon: 300 (All with lazer ofcourse)
    Bastiladon: 300
    Bastiladon: 300

Eternal Starhost: 80
    Eternity Warden: 140
    Saurus guards: 100

Skink Chameleons: 120 (To deal with Artillery by attacking their engineers so they can't attack anymore).

Total: 2000

This army is slow, but it is pretty much un-killable as long as the two Skink priests get their buff up.The Skink Starseer can try and get rerolls, and give his +1 buff on a unit.

This army works well I think against Sylvaneth, as they can hold 3 keypoints (the Bastiladon) to catch them off).

B)
    Heavenwatch Starhost: 100
    Skink Starseer: 160
    Troglodon: 200
    Bastiladon: 300 (With lazer ofcourse)
    Stegadon: 260
    30 Skinks unit: 240

Eternal Starhost: 80
    Eternity Warden: 140

Skink Chameleons: 120 (To deal with Artillery by attacking their engineers so they can't attack anymore).

This has two different units, and the idea is that my Starseer will put his +1 buff on the Skink Priest to help defend him when he gets attacked (all skink priests will wear the priestly trappings), and to help with casting the buff.

This build is less reliable I think, as the Stegadon and 30 skinks unit are more vulnerable then the tank Bastiladons. But maybe this makes for a more fun looking army?

----

Should I stick with option A, and get the most efficient army? Or go with B and have a more diverse nice looking one? Again, for the tournament we are playing objectives.

Bowser likes this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

If you are going with option B I would drop the Trog, put in a skink priest and buff up a unit of guard. Both look fun to play though, and either should be competitive enough but are beatable. So I wouldn't feel guilty about taking either.

3. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

Alright thanks!

Well, say I drop the Trog, and just take two priests just to be safe, where do you think I should put the 100 points in with option B? Perhaps another 5 guards?

Bowser likes this.
  4. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Sorry that is what I meant by buff up a unit of guards! Should watch my wording. Yeah, one scary unit of guard with the priest would be a good addition.

5. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

Alright, thanks! Well you need 2 units of Priests/Starpriests/Trogolodon. So if I go with just 2 priests (to always ensure I have the buff, well mostly), and then 5 more guards it should work well.

Though I feel that 3 Bastiladon focus firing each of his units one by one is the safest route by far :) (the Heavenwatch lets you reroll hit and wound rolls of 1 :))

Bowser likes this.
  6. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Yeah, I love that first list! Makes me want to buy another Bastiladon!

7. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

The first list is nasty, you're almost 100% sure to have your bastiladons with 3+ saves re-rollable. And, even if you are slow, you will have some really good shooting. I'd go for it.

Bowser likes this.
  8. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

Oh it gets nastier :) I am putting my 3 Bastiladon behind my line of 15 guards. These are all under the Eternal Starhost, so they have 2+ defense, and deal D3 damage if they didn't run or charge previously, with a -1 rend :) I will put my Bastiladon with their sides forward, so even if my 15 guards fall, they will have to get through my Bastiladon next to get to my 2 Priests and Starseer.

The downside is that for command I will have to take the crappy order one where one of my 5 guards units doesn't have to roll for bravery. But the upside is that my Starseer (as long as my opponent doesn't guess my amount) can take 1 to 6 rerolls, meaning that I can even use one of those rerolls for the reroll that determines who starts the second turn.

The Starseer's rerolls also work on that right?

Bowser likes this.
  9. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

If you run into an army that uses mortal wounds or got some serious rend, your guards will meet the fate of the snow in summer... :p

But yeah, the Starseer's reroll works also on the roll for turns. ;)

Bowser likes this.
  10. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

I know :) Hence the second line of Bastiladon. Plus I will keep my army moving to try and shoot as much of them as I possibly can.

And sweet! :D

Bowser likes this.