1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old models with a new paint job

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by dictator, Sep 13, 2009.

1. dictator
    Cold One

dictator New Member

Well after getting tired of painting Vamps and of course my beloved Dark Elves it's time I listen to my wife. She's been hounding me about when I would start my LM. Knowing that all my models are older than dirt definitely isn't good either. Since they are already paid for I thought this would be a good place to start. Overall I want the "Newer," skinks and saurus to be darker in color. When I get to the Special and rare slots the lighter in color the purple and yellow will get. You can see my test models below for what they look like.

The bases I'm going to use DAS to create an old stone street look with grass and the likes growing up.

I have some ideas on how I'll be converting the HWs to Spears. I have penty of plasticard and tubing. It'll be easy once it gets started.

What I need is some feedback and whether this whole color scheme can work, etc. A little bit of anything will be good.
    lm%20saurus%20test%20a.jpg
    lm%20saurus%20test%20b.jpg
    lm%20skink%20test%20a.jpg
    lm%20skink%20test%20b.jpg

2. Jaspar
    Saurus

Jaspar New Member

you can get alot more detail out of those tbo

3. Elmquasmash
    Razordon

Elmquasmash New Member

Well, i dont know if you are a lakers fan or not but i am most definitely not so purple and yellow arnt my two most favorite colors together ;) And also, if you look at a color wheel you will fnd that purple and yellow are on opposite ends meaning they contrast or 'clash' a lot with eachother.. I dont know if thats what you want exactly but i'd say stick with the purple (just becasue i like the color, just not with yellow :rage: ) And pick a color that goes a little more well... You could try the purple and green barny army of doom :p A good red or blue would work okay with purple, just be sure to highlight the purple or darken it because leaving it like that will be too cartoonish of a color

4. dictator
    Cold One

dictator New Member

Ew, well hmm. So complimentary colors might be out and if I do keep the purple go with something darker/lighter. This is a lot to think on. Back to the drawing board maybe Well...**smuggly turning going back to the desk to find different paints**

5. Dumbledore
    Ripperdactil

Dumbledore New Member

Go to GW and ask which guy is best at painting in the store, then discuss the best paints and techniques for what you're aiming for, maybe even book a free lesson. I did and learnt soo much

6. dictator
    Cold One

dictator New Member

@Dumbledore: Touche, I would if I could. I'm to far away and have to little time to spend on that. I'm going to do some online homework at Coolminiornot and see what I can find.

Thanks again all for the replies we'll see how I do the next round.

7. Dumbledore
    Ripperdactil

Dumbledore New Member

well the first thing they told me about is just shading and trying to keep various levels of tone in each area of the model, ie highlighting, using washes, or just plain blending etc

8. rickie_82
    Saurus

rickie_82 New Member

Close to what I'm aiming for. For the purple.
    1. Undercoat black
    2. Highlight the elevated areas (make sure the resseses and shaded areas remain black) Dont need to be to picky.
    3. Aply a layer on the whole model.
    4. Hghlight with a brighter purple (buy a brighter one or mix in some white/pink
    5. Do a wash

Cant testify to this yet, gonna start painting my figgs like this wendsday, see if I can get some picks up. But that's how I'm planning to do it. Should look ok and be decently fast to do.

On colors chosen, purple and yellow is good. But i personally wouldent use yellow on the scales. I'm doing purple saurus with black scales (maybe dark violet). And instead using the contrasting yellow on sheilds and the like. They would look less cartoony in that way.
    Just my opinons of course and I pretty much suck at evrything I do, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Hmm I'm pretty good at sitting on the couch, can I be a professional couch potato?

9. Elmquasmash
    Razordon

Elmquasmash New Member

Also, if you are too far away from a hobby shop go to http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/ select the british flag for english, then go to miniature and model colors, then at the new page select model colors and go to the bottom and select the link that says introduction. Its a whole page on painting tips and how to get a basic skill with painting.. I am going to be trying out my new skills today so wish me luck ;)

ps: i would have posted the link but the whole page is run off the same link :/

10. dictator
    Cold One

dictator New Member

Awesome, I was looking last night and just couldn't find something worth while. I'll be trying this one too.
    @ rickie: Awesome info. I might have to work off yours too. I really wanted a purple and yellow but I DON'T want cartoons running around! I'll work on some new ideas to.

Oh by the way, the test models were just base painted. I don't like having to spend all the time painting completely through a model before I decide if I like the base colors.

Thanks again to all.

11. dictator
    Cold One

dictator New Member

Howdy all again!

I've been at work and think I might have another winner. See below. I just finished the purple and blue but nothing else. Let me know what ya'll think.

Oh I did want to make sure to let you know I haven't decided on the weapons color yet. I need to convert them to spears but I still need a color. I was thinking black with a dark blue highlight?

Attached Files:

12. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

The highlighting on the blue looks very very good, nice work. I'm not as much of a fan of the purple though I must say, but thats just me. I somewhat preferred the purple and yellow because of the bright contrast. :D Would be a hell of a shame to change that blue though...

13. Elmquasmash
    Razordon

Elmquasmash New Member

looks good :) and now instead of the lakers colors we are getting raptors colors which is definitely a much better tea imo ;)

14. Eternity_Warden
    Terradon

Eternity_Warden New Member

I really like the blue scales, nice job!

15. rickie_82
    Saurus

rickie_82 New Member

Looks really nice, personally I would have made the scales darker, But they look really nice :)

16. dictator
    Cold One

dictator New Member

First, thanks to you all for the help with the colors. I am going to try and finish these test models and see if I can eek out a skink or two. I'll try to post as soon as I'm complete.

Still haven't figured out how I'll make spears. I have lot of plasticard and I just need to decide what shape and thickness I want to use.

17. dictator
    Cold One

dictator New Member

Howdy all,
    I have returned. The place has changed to being filled with lots of sand :droid: . I plan on posting a few pics now that I have a place and time to. Look forward to seeing what ya'll think of the new test model and where I'm to go from here.

18. dictator
    Cold One

dictator New Member

Untitled.jpg

Alright so what do you think? I decided to go with grey and brown. With a touch of green and orange. Let me know concerns and criticisms welcome.

19. FireZdragon
    Skink

FireZdragon New Member

i like really much the black and red one on the purple/blue backround honestly :D

20. Okopipi
    Saurus

Okopipi New Member

I was looking for some conversions of the old skink archers! I like it.

Are you just clipping off the bows? How do the archers that face left and have the bow more connected to their body come out?