1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Old Mossy's paint log - Some terrain and lizards (and OnGs!)

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Old Mossy, Jul 25, 2011.

1. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

Re: Old Mossy's paint log - Update 13/2: Skrox and a water b

Nice bright colors, I like the unit a lot :)

2. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

i like your musician conversion :)

3. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

Wow, quite a blog you got going on here. I really like all the work you've done with you're terrain making so far. Looks really good. I especially love the pyramid! That thing is kick ass ! Keep up the good work with everything, I will certainly be keeping an eye on this thread.

4. elmoheadbutt
    Cold One

elmoheadbutt New Member

With the water effect, have you tried using the hardware silicone sealant?

5. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Cheers Favored, I definitely have a soft spot for that pyramid :)
    I'm going to be doing another batch of modular river pieces soon, but this time using the Envirotex Lite resin for the water, instead of PVA. The last ones came out pretty well, I thought, for not too much effort.

And no, elmoheadbutt, I haven't tried that out yet, but I'll definitely be looking at using the crystal clear silicone sealant next time. I got some good advice on that topic from:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaO5-gpZJ6I
    and
    http://terrainwench.blogspot.com.au/2011/03/modular-river.html

meanwhile, I've got a few WIPs going on, which I might post later tonight if i have time. Nothing special, just a happy dinosaur duo (which, incidentally, taught me that I didn't actually know how to dry-brush properly, until now).

6. elmoheadbutt
    Cold One

elmoheadbutt New Member

7. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Nice one! I'd seen that video awhile, but lost it. Thanks mate!

8. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

Pretty good video. Seems easy and affordable for the most part. I'm a big fan of Woodland Scenics products although I've only used a few of their products so far. I've been pleased with them to this point and plan on using more in the future.

9. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

Hey mossy, where and what kind of foam did you use on your river? Did you have to seal it with anything or did the paint do that? I have a marsh peice in the works made of clay. But i cant imagine making a whole river out of that stuff.

10. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Do you mean real clay? I was considering using miliput for the next batch. It'd give more control over the contours of the shore than the foam, but would probably cost more per square foot of ground to use.

To answer your question, I'm using Extruded Polystyrene Foam (not Expanded polystyrene; that's the stuff made of small 'bubbles' of foam). It's pretty durable and has good texture. It's really good for producing 3D objects (eg. boulders, cliffs, ruins, pillars, etc.), rather than more 2D ones (like the ground). Not that it isn't fine for 2D, but I just think there's probably better tools for the job.
    You don't need to seal it, but it does definitely give a tougher outer shell if you do. I usually just mix 50/50 paint and PVA glue, and paint the base coat to seal my stuff.

Caution: If you are going to spray paint the foam, you MUST seal it before spraying, otherwise the aerosol will melt the foam (a lot!). Again, you can seal it just by giving a good coverage of slightly watered-down PVA glue (if you mix paint in with the glue, you can see where you've missed).

11. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

If I remember correctly, super glue will also melt your foam pretty badly (not as quickly/effectively as aerosol will, though), so don't super glue directly to the foam.

12. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Long time between updates, but I figured I'd post what i've been painting recently. I'm happy enough with the final results. I tried to magnetize my stegadon pieces, so that the blow-pipes were removable, as well as the crew. I eventually settled with magnetizing the throne and blow-pipes, drilling holes for the skink crew's pinned feet, and letting the bow and gold headdress sit loose (they don't seem to move).

Magnetizing went well, except I've found the paint often chips off the magnets. It's a little frustrating, but it's not a huge issue for me. Other than that, it all seems to hold together really well. I'm doing a (minor) conversion of a metal skink chief with warspear, and he might not just slot into the foot holes, seeing as he's so heavy, but we'll see.

Painting wise, I'm pretty happy with it all. I messed up the orange layer of the salamander, which spoiled it a bit. The colour scheme for the stegadon was shamelessly taken from someone who posted here and at warseer, but I've since lost the thread. It fit too perfectly with how I wanted it in my head.

Steg pics:
    stegadon-giantbow.jpg
    stegadon-EotG.jpg
    stegadon-blowpipes.jpg

13. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

(Forgot the Salamander)
    IMG_2126.jpg
    IMG_2131.jpg

14. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Re: Old Mossy's paint log - Update 7/6

What's that you say? Models are expensive? Well gather round, as I attempt my first ever proper green-stuff conversion. Watch as I take a $2.50 toy dinosaur, and turn it into a $100 carnosaur... or at least his special cousin.

So seriously, I'd love some feedback on how I can improve the model/my green stuffing ability. And whaddaya think of my first hit-out? The model's head/face make me giggle every time I look at it at the moment. I'm hoping a paint-job will fix that.

Pre-Conversion in battle
    2011-11-27125948.jpg

Scales!
    2012-06-07161833.jpg
    2012-06-07213039.jpg
    2012-06-07213109.jpg

Rider! Now with tail
    2012-06-07213155.jpg
    2012-06-07213212.jpg

Thoughts? Comments? Laughter?

15. elmoheadbutt
    Cold One

elmoheadbutt New Member

Re: Old Mossy's paint log - Update 7/6 - Carnosaur conversio

I draw a lot of dinosaurs. 2 tips that I always give to people:

1). The smaller the eyes, the bigger the creature will appear
    2). Dinosaurs have surprisingly small feet. Think of birds. They have little feet.

Also, on your stegadon's horns I can see blotches of washes. Is it intentional? But wow the howdah and everything on it looks simply awesome!!! I love the poison tips on the spears :D:D

16. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Yeah, those stegadon horns were me trying to blend :shifty: I think the brush must've been too wet. I'll keep that in mind about the eyes and feet. And cheers mate, I like the way the howdah came out. I wanted it to contrast with the steg itself.

17. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

Those Steg colors are awesome! The horns could be blended a little more, but the colors are great. I love that! I may have to steel that idea when it comes time to paint mine. The stone looks really good too.

I'm not too excited for that other dino though. I think it's mostly the toy's posing. It's a children's toy so it's kind of lacking the ferocious fierce look that a carnosaur should have. I'd try and cut the joints and give it a lower profile. Like a stalking or prowling dino. More like the GW carnosaur model. That one looks more like Rex from toy story to me.
    http://scifimafia.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Rex.jpg

Esp considering you have a standing rider. Calls for more of an animated pose rather than a dino just standing still. I think he needs bigger teeth too.

18. elmoheadbutt
    Cold One

elmoheadbutt New Member

Oh yeah in regards to dinosaur poses:

1). The tail must never touch the ground
    2). Unless rearing up, the dinosaur should have their spine parallel to the ground.
    3). Unlike mammals, dinosaurs have ribcages all the way to their pelvis bone so they can't bend their backs very well.
    4). However, they have a lot of invertebrates on their necks are somewhat flexible.

19. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

Really like the horns on the stegadon although it reminds me of Chaos *gasp* how dare you!? Lol anyway, I also like the Salamander. Came out great man.

On the dinosaur toy. Personally I would go with something that doesn't look as "goofy". Like you said, it made you laugh and it definitely did the same for me. Plus, this saves you work trying to make the dinosaur look more menacing. Just my opinion of course but I would buy a different toy. Check our Safari Ltd, they have some cool stuff.

20. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

@Dan: I agree, I loved the horn colours as soon as I saw them. I tracked down the link for where I got the paint scheme from: http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=856
    And yeah, the dinosaur.... you are so spot on about it being rex haha!

@elmoheadbutt: good tips! This guy was just my first attempt at playing with making a proxy model (almost) fit in with my army. I've got a stegosaurus model I want to turn into a stegadon stand-in, so I'll keep those in mind. I really wish I'd made the t-rex have his spine parallel to the ground; that would've actually made for a pretty good model; much more dynamic, and threatening. Like a stalking predator. And less like a rearing horse...

@Favored: Cheers mate. haha, I'll make some fluff about his trip to the chaos realm, where he ate delicious chaos grass, but grew chaos horns because of it. That website is great! Carnosaur eggs? Mountain chimera? The dimensions sound about right.

Anyway, the carnosaur-rex was always going to look a little silly. It's almost finished painting, so I'll post the final product and you can have another giggle. I'll try and learn something from it, and make my stegadon proxy look a little better.