1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Schooler New to Lizzies

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by T`hinker`er, Sep 14, 2010.

1. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

Thanks! That makes two of us :p

2. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

your GS work is inspiring as always, and i think you have outdone yourself this time :)

3. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

Thanks :) I keep wanting to finish this, but I keep getting home after 11pm every night this week exhausted from work...ugh! Hopefully I can get it done this weekend and get some paint on it. I have some interesting ideas for the skinks...although nothing as cool as a Spawning of Bob skink with a fire extinguisher ;)

4. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

No painting done, but I've managed to squeeze a little time into working on my Salamander herders and I thought you guys might want to have a look. They are about halfway done. The idea is to take a "carrot and stick" approach to herding the Sallie - have a guy with a fishing pole sort of thing with a slab of meat hanging off it, another guy with a prod to keep the Sallie heading in the right direction, and a third handler with a net, ushering the Sallie forward. I'm thinking the guy with the meat/carrot could count as two wound markers in a pinch, the first misfire would indicate that the Sallie actually ate the bait...

Here's some quickie pictures:

ThirdSalliecrew2.jpg

ThirdSalliecrew1.jpg

Hopefully I will get this done and can start the painting before the end of the month...things are awfully busy so we'll see. Your comments will help me stay focused on this, so please let me know that you're out there and care :)

Attached Files:

5. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

I love the carrot and stick theme. It makes sense from a herding standpoint. Especially when the "herd" consists of a firebreathing jumbo lizard. :D

6. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Looks good! I like the idea as well. It is cool that each one of the herders has a specific job.

7. Pilgrim Pod
    Skink

Pilgrim Pod New Member

There's so much imagination that's gone into that Salamander and it's herders it's unreal. It looks something special. Absolutely amazing. :)

8. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Nice work. Lots of imagination. Is the "carrot" going to be more like a runty skink? :p

9. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

A halfling or a goblin would work too.

10. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

Well, at first I considered sculpting an actual carrot, but I think that might be 'hitting you over the head' with the concept, and not all that interesting to look at. I do have the bound up dwarf model from Battle for Skull Pass, but that's a pretty heavy bait for a little skink to be holding on the end of a pole, and anyway my son plays Dwarfs and I don't want to piss him off that much (no issue however with the trampled Elf on my Steggie base...my elf opponent can take the ribbing!).

Right now my aim is to just fashion a big old turkey leg looking thingie and hang it off the end of the pole. I should have some photos to update this plog by the end of the week - we've been getting constant rain all week, so I can't mow the lawn or fly my RC planes...good time to get some sculpting done! ;)

11. howie89
    Jungle Swarm

howie89 New Member

That Salamander is all kinds of awesome.

I've got to jump on the bandwagon and say those crew are looking damn fine.

Great thread, please keep it coming.

Regards,
    Howie.

12. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

Hey thanks everyone for the encouragement! I'm sorry it took me this long to get back to you all, but I wanted to have some new photos to post before I fired this thread back up again, and with all the stuff going on in my life (including selling my house) I haven't had that many free evening to sculpt. But I am finally able to show off the latest addition to my army, which will hopefully be painted soon (life permitting!)

So without further adieu, I give you my 'greenstuff'd from scratch' Salamander and 'carrot and stick' handlers:

ThirdSalliecrewdone3.jpg

and the unit from the other side:

ThirdSalliecrewdone2.jpg

Here's a close-up of the "carrot" Skink (the fishing pole, drumstick and his right arm are all newly sculpted since my last post):

ThirdSalliecrewdone1.jpg

And a close-up of the "stick" Skink (his left arm and hands are new - thinking I will add some feathers to his polearm/prodder as well):

ThirdSalliecrewdone5.jpg

Finally, a close-up of the netter, whose job is to recapture the Sallie in the event of a Monster reaction followed by a 'Regrowth' spell (http://www.lustria-online.com/threa...k-with-regrowth-after-monster-reaction.11424/ - JK! Sorry! Couldn't resist!):

ThirdSalliecrewdone4.jpg

Editorial: With all due modesty, I have to say that I like these handlers 1000% better than the handlers with spears (boring!) that GW has been releasing since the Lizardmen came out as an army book. At least back when the Sallie crews were first released there were some interesting poses. The latest are just basic skinks with pointy sticks. It will be interesting to see whether GW adopts my 'carrot and stick' approach when they release the new Lizardman army book ;)

Attached Files:

13. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Pretty good looking handlers.
    I wonder if you ever saw mine,
    I had a very similar idea. :smug:

14. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

15. bonz
    Cold One

bonz Active Member

over the past two days ive read through this entire thread.. outstanding and inspiring work and now that im up to date i cant wait to see more!! :smug:

ps. if GW releases a version of your handlers i'll preorder them :smug:

16. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Agreed about the GW handlers. Incredibly uninspiring models.

Your ones are great, though I do wonder what that skink is going to do with the net :p

17. Dyvim Tvar
    Razordon

Dyvim Tvar New Member

Holy crap -- that stuff is really cool! Love the old-school-style salamander.

18. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

Thanks Dyvim!

Time well spent! :D

Umm, he's on "clean up" duty ;) Cleanliness is an essential element of game etiquette, ya know, for my Sportsmanship score...wouldn't want to leave any droppings behind... :p

19. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

lmao - nice.

20. Why
    Skink

Why New Member

This is absolutely incredible! This thread is the reason I joined this forum. Well that and having a lizardman army :D