1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Old World revamp

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by airjamy, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Togetic
    Temple Guard

Togetic Well-Known Member

I think it was a year or two ago that they introduced that the temple ships had spawning pools and living examples of lustrian fauna, so I guess you're in luck

It does make it a little messy that Slann can now remember forces into existence and also just warp them protoss-style from their ships, and that there's absolultely no distinction between those two things or any real reason to do the latter over the former

I sort of feel like the at-launch "all non-slann seraphon are just physical memories" lends itself amazingly to the idea of keeping heroes around though? Surely their greatest heroes would be remembered most, and it feels more justified to have slann dropping tons of kroq gar onto the battlefield rather than just remembering how cool their non-legendary oldbloods were.

I'm sure they had their reasons, but I don't really get it

Karak Norn Clansman and Oh_Man like this.
  2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

batman-approves-eas5ka.jpg

3. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced that they will set the game after the End Times. There is plenty of space to create games and campaigns without having to retcon. Many years ago, they created a campaign in White Dwarf around the War of the Beard. I suspect they are going to do something similar for the new game.

4. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

They really probably won't, people hated the end times, they are i think trying to feed on nostalgia.

I also wouldn't hold my hopes up for an exploration of lesser known races, at least not before this new system is a success. They want armies that resonate with a lot of people, sadly things like Chaos Dwarfs just don't do that. Something that breaks the straightjacket of Army Books sounds good, I think that is an area they could explore more. Maybe something in the vain of T9A, not having special and rare for every army but army specific things, like Dino's for us?

Padre likes this.
  5. Oh_Man
    Kroxigor

Oh_Man Well-Known Member

They'll prob just do what they used to do, have it set to 10 minutes to midnight in perpetuity.

Padre and Killer Angel like this.
  6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That is probably true, although I wouldn't be shocked if they piggy backed off the success of total war and released something like Vampire Coast or Norsca.

Kilvakar and airjamy like this.
  7. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Kilvakar Well-Known Member

I don't really like playing the "bad guys" most of the time, but I'd definitely go for Vampire Coast!

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Chaos... it marks us all!

tumblr_og90q94t1m1ueu0eqo1_500.jpg

ASSASSIN_NR_1 likes this.
  9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

10. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Yesterday I went to my local GW, and when I was there I had a chat with one of the staff. Our conversation moved round to Warhammer: The Old World, and here are the two things I took away from it:
    • He was not certain on whether square bases would properly come back - he said that was mainly thrown in as a device to tease the return of Warhammer Fantasy in Warhammer: The Old World. He wasn't sure if it would involve round bases with movement trays like War of the Ring or A Song of Ice and Fire Miniatures game, or if GW would go so far as to bring back square bases, but he also said that the Old World was intended to be a 'Warhammer Historicals' game set in the Warhammer Fantasy world. Given that Warhammer Ancient Battles, one of the foremost Warhammer Historical games at the time they were still around, was largely just Warhammer Fantasy with ancient historical units and no magic, the dream could still come true!
    • He was more positive about how the miniatures and rules would be done. He said that the rules were definitely being written by the Forge World team, and that it's likely that most of the big special character models would be made in Forge World resin, but that most of the rank and file units would likely be made by Citadel in plastic. To be honest, I'm not that fussed about the named characters being resin (while it would have been great to have plastic Thorgrim and Settra, I do prefer to use my own generic characters and forge their own stories), and as long as most of the generic characters and units are plastic, I'll be happy (given that Citadel are spamming out plastic versions of all the main characters from Lord of the Rings, that shouldn't be too hard).

Given that GW have released stuff as controversial as Ossiarch, anything is now possible! :p

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I don't want a game without a magic phase. The magic phase is my favourite phase of 8th edition.

12. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I'm sure that will still stay for TOW, I was just saying that because Warhammer Ancient Battles used square bases and the old Fantasy charts, it's still possible that TOW will too.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  13. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

Funnily enough I was working close by to a GW and I went in and struck up a conversation with the guy in there about warhammer the old world. I would not take anything your guy says with any degree of certainty at all as the guy I spoke to says they get told stuff a week before it happens if they are lucky. Sounds like wild speculation to me.

airjamy and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  14. airjamy
    Bastiladon

Int
    Interesting. Store employees don't have the facts though, I would be really surprised if they won't do square based. Not having that would make this feel so much like AoS, I just don't think it is the way to go, especially with how the spoiled it.

I agree that we never know with GW, but I like to think that they would go for some common nostalgia denominator, that likely focusses on the largest known armies and the look and feel of the old gameplay.

15. airjamy
    Bastiladon

I would also like to know the source of this guy on who is writing the rules, to my knowledge, store clerks never know that type of thing. Why would GW share that kind of information, they don't want leaks so should keep especially rule development stuff on a need to know basis.

16. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

The new version of the Old World is doomed unless they allow **both kinds of basing.

And this is Games Workshop’s own fault. They painted themselves into this corner and they’ve no choice left but to sit there and wait for the paint to dry and learn to like the color.

**They made people rebase their armies
    **Nobody that changed squares to rounds is going to cheerfully change Back To Squares.
    **They initially claimed no rebasing would be required...and this turned out to be a lie.

Figuring out What The Frack they are gonna do about the mess they have made on just this issue alone is plenty of reason to take three years before they even try to bring it back.

But someway, somehow, the new game will have to ba a game of Squares, Rounds, and Ovals.

17. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

Can you play AOS with Square bases? I thought they changed the distance measuring rules at some point?

And in any case - I believe the old world will be a different kind of game. If I wanted to play a skirmish based game I would be playing 40k. Made no sense for AOS to fill the same gameplay slot like it does.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  18. pendrake
    Skink Priest

In the first iteration of its rules Yes square bases were allowed.

Then in a wicked, vile, customer betraying, rage inducing, transparent act of pure greed the round bases were made supreme and the squares ruled out.

Some sort of positive spin was put on it of course.

Looking forward... There is no possible way to tell some unfortunate bloke that rebased his Old Warhammer army from rectangles to Rounds, so he could play AgeOfSiggy, that he must now rip the rounds off and go back to the Squares! to play this new back-to-the-Old-World-Hammer.

19. pendrake
    Skink Priest

I agree with all of that.

To succeed this new game needs to:
    • Welcome back Folk that never rebased their square cornered armies.

• Welcome in people that only have round based models because they started with AoSiggy.

• Admit and Permit people that have an Army or Two with each kind of bases.

• Allow someone that has some of each kind of bases in-the-same-army, because their collecting period spanned 7, 8, and Aos.
    I can easily see it taking three years to figure out a way to pull that off. But if they don’t figure it out ...there’s no point in trying.

20. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

No surprise really; I called that right from the start.

That seems.... messy. I don't want a game of half measures.

Unless they copy the KoW system, it is going to be ugly.