1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Paint retarder? do you recommend one?

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Finnboy101, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Finnboy101
    Saurus

Finnboy101 Member

I looked into wet blending, as I would like to give it ago for my idea on my skinks, I'm hoping to go for the day gecko look, for the belly I'm hoping to blend it into the main green, not only that the tails of a day gecko go slightly blue towards the tip so maybe blending in the blue and green there?

So one what do you think on the idea? and two do you guy/girls recommend the retarder? ave you used one? or any other suggestions?

2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Idea sounds good, Liqutex retarder is pretty good, I use it all the time when doing character models etc for standard troops I just layer or drybrush,

When you use it avoid excess heat from a lamp etc, I usually use a old plate and add 2 drops of retarder to one drop of painting depending on the paint (some are thicker/older than others)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Liquitex-...907?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5413e6837b

You can also use Lahmian medium with the almost the same results, you should add this to your bag of tricks if you don't already it allows you to create washes without losing the viscosity of your paint.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citadel-T...-12ml-Paint-/321818051416?hash=item4aedd9c358

3. Finnboy101
    Saurus

Finnboy101 Member

never heard of it I shall look into it.

I was going to use it for standard troops haha, and use the free hand ideas of the dots.

and I have a palette i will probably put it onto with paint.

Thanks for the tips and recommendations

4. Finnboy101
    Saurus

Finnboy101 Member

I didn't even know what that was for I have it in my ultimate paint set, I may give that a go. Thanks again :D

5. Crowsfoot
    Slann

you can add a drop to any paint to help it flow, it will create washes/glazes from any acrylic paint.

A palette is a great tool.

6. Finnboy101
    Saurus

Finnboy101 Member

now all i have to do is decide which out the hundreds of choices to paint.... the hard part....

Crowsfoot likes this.
  7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

I have around 100 paints and use probably 30 all the time, should use more!

8. Finnboy101
    Saurus

Finnboy101 Member

I have a thing for green I tried steering away from it... But It pulls me back in.. green is the way..

Qupakoco likes this.
  9. neveroddoreven
    Temple Guard

neveroddoreven Well-Known Member

I used day geckoes as reference for this guy. I used 2 or 3 coats of medium-thinned paint to get the blends.

[​IMG]

I couldn't find a rear pic, but this tail is blended blue like the hands and feet.

Attached Files:

Crowsfoot likes this.
  10. Finnboy101
    Saurus

Finnboy101 Member

I actually used your work as inspiration I love the fact you based it on your own gecko and the underbelly you did was amazing on your priest . This is the mainn reason I stripped majority of my army an started again.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  11. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I usually just use "Future" floorwax made by "Pledge", *Sold in the kitchen isle
    because it's just a clear acrylic paint with a little scent added to it.
    works good for making washes and ok for blending.

Caprasauridae and Finnboy101 like this.
  12. Finnboy101
    Saurus

Finnboy101 Member

Making lizards smell nice :D

Caprasauridae likes this.
  13. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

I can recommend Liquitex Slo-Dry Retarder as well. I thought you'd only need paint retarder when you do things like blending, but now that I have started using it, I want to add it to almost any paint! It is especially useful with very (originally) thick paints that may have a tendency of creating streaks when they dry even a bit.

I usually add only a very small amount, and to me, @Crowsfoot's 2:1 ratio sounds like way too much. But his miniatures are beautifully painted so that gives credit to his method.

You are not a Finn by any chance? It is sometimes hard to find certain products here in Finland. Clas Ohlson carries a range of Liquitex products (they have super nice stuff for basing, in particular), but I didn't find the paint retarder from their selection. Amazon UK is also great, and has the full range.

Also I would highly recommend trying out the Lahmian Medium. Use it instead or alongside with water when you thin your paints. It makes the paint more transparent without making it too runny. Great stuff.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  14. Crowsfoot
    Slann

@Caprasauridae

I make the paint almost to a milk consistency and usually do 2 coats so adding more retarder helps the paint do both coats without refreshing, you could also use a wet palette for this.

Like you say a drop is enough to allow you to get the paint on without it clumping or dragging.

Caprasauridae likes this.
  15. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Ah, I see, so you don't use anything other than the retarder to dilute the paint? I also add medium, but I should try your way and see how it feels. Yeah, I use the "milk consistency" rule as well. Thanks for the advice!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  16. Crowsfoot
    Slann

For base coating just retarder, add layers I usually use the paint from the pot (I'm lazy)

Medium is great mixed with retarder to give you that extra control and time for the finer detailing.

n810 likes this.
  17. Finnboy101
    Saurus

Finnboy101 Member

and links or videos on how to roughly use it?