1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Painting New Years Resolution

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by strewart, Dec 15, 2011.

1. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I've seen this idea on a couple of forums, sounds rather interesting. It is quite simple, you pledge to paint more models than you buy over the next year. Buy 16 saurus? You need to paint at least 17 models. Should be an interesting way to help keep on top of things and make sure the brush keeps brushing.

You keep a log in the thread, and every month, you check off how much you have bought compared to how much you have painted and see if you can buy more yet or not.

Anyone interested in participating?

2. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Sure, why not. At the very least, it'll make me keep track of my compulsive model buying ("but it's a bargain on eBay/the internet! How often does that happen?!")

3. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I am interested. There should also be a minimum of models to paint per month. I have a fully unpainted VC army, some Ogres to finish, and some lizardmen to finish. I could go months (yea, right) without buying anything new (except paint and washes).

4. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

I'm definitely in!!!! I have 90 unpainted lizards, 30 or so unpainted HE, 45 unpainted Skaven, 40 unpainted Beastmen, some unpainted monsters (dragon, trolls, ogres), an unpainted Khadoran army (one basecoated model with 7 primed models). Sad thing is, I might buy stuff with all those unpainted miniatures!!! I plan to finish one unit (or 10 models in case of a big unit) per month. If I can pull it off, I'll probably have a fully painted Khadoran army and a half painted Lizard army. For the rest, it'll have to wait :D.

5. strewart
    OldBlood

Yeah I'm happy to include a monthly target in here. The reason I didn't was because I thought monthly vows and such would be in seperate threads, but might as well keep a target per month for this one too.

Don't want to think about how much I have unpainted and even unassembled.... Off the top of my head, close to 200 undead, over 100 orcs, ~40 high elves, 80 Perry human models are still unassembled, and I have loads more assembled but not painted. :p

I really should be aiming to buy no more at all. But I already have a preorder that won't come until the new year.

6. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

I'm all in, it's good to have things to keep you motivated!

7. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Hehe, I'm in the same boat. I think I have:

about 40 lizarmen models to finish
    2 stegadons to finish
    one slann to finish

Overall Ogre army that is about 80% painted (needs details and bases).
    Ogre Characters x 8 or 9

About 120 VC army models to paint

Unknown amount of O & G models to paint (these are not organized and are just thrown together).

Needless to say, I could go a very long time without buying anything new (except paint). However, I know that will not happen (AS I MUST HAVE THEM ALL :bored: ).

8. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

SanDiegoSurrealist New Member

In our next league by week 5 you have to have at least 1/3 of your army painted (min 3 colors) or you forfeit the portion of your dues ($15) that you get back at the end of the season for playing all your games on time.

And of course, I just bought a 2500-point Daemon Army, all Slannesh, I have a 60+ Daemonetts (half of which I still have yet to assemble), 10 Seekers, 6 Fiends and a Keeper of Secrets. In addition, a lot of it is metal so I still have to pin everything, league starts up again in Jan so I have to get cracking.

Lizards I only have 20 Temple Guard and my LM army is done, the TG are all base coated so I have at least started those.

40k I have 6 Ultra Marines painted but at least 30 more to go, 10 Terminators, a couple of Rhinos, a Land Raider, a Dreadnaught and a Land Speeder to finish. I am selling off all of my 40k stuff so not in any hurry to paint it, if fact I may just say ‘meh’ and not bother. If anyone wants to make me a reasonable offer, I would part with them fairly cheap.

This is a good resolution, it will keep the wife happy with me not buying any more figs, and represents enough of a challenge to be interesting, so I am in as well.

9. The Red Devil
    Stegadon

The Red Devil Defender of Hexoatl Staff Member

Sounds like a good idea! I have way too much that need to be assembled and painted, not to mentioned all the 5th edition stuff that I want to strip, convert and repaint.

Currently working on finishing a winter isolated room Im building in the garage, which will become my den. So the goal is to finish that before new year, and then after it would be good to finally be able to start on the warhammer stuff.

Kind of been putting off working on the army, as I feel its too much hassle to have to take out and then after clean up and put everything back into safe storage when you only have half an hour for example to get some painting done.

10. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

I'm in - i've an absolute crapload of minis with only a single model test painted or simply basecoated so I want to get some of those units completed.

Want to finish off my Tyranid Warriors by the end of year (they'll be my first unit completed ever!) and then i'll try and put up 20 Ork Boyz in January.

11. parrot
    Cold One

parrot New Member

I´m in. I don´t have so much to paint as most of you(8 saurii and a whole box of CoC). I´m not planing to buy anything ´´major´´ till april.

12. ForgottenKnight2001
    Saurus

ForgottenKnight2001 New Member

I can't even count the number of models I have to paint. If I only had the motivation.

I've gotten as far as "I'll paint one full unit to table top quality this year" as my resolution.

13. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

my local store is having an army building challenge starting January and I've already got the models i'll need for my Tyranid army so this will fit in perfectly. by April i should have 1500 points painted.

14. lizardninja
    Temple Guard

lizardninja New Member

im in i have a whole 2000 point dark elf army to paint plus loads of lizards left :)

15. gusuwoi
    Jungle Swarm

gusuwoi New Member

I am in!! I still have to paint
    2 salies,
    6 chameleon skinks,
    1 stegadon
    1 oldblood (the new plastic one),
    3 swarms.
    maybe one extra rank for my saurus block.
    I cant even remember when I bought all these :S

When am done with the above I will buy my kroxigors or terradons and my slann!!
    Good luck to all of you!

16. CdlP
    Skink

CdlP New Member

Yep, in for this. Being a student I'm not massively into the buying loads of stuff because I'm bit skint, but even that said I still have stuff undone. Namely:

3 Kroxigors,
    5 Temple Gaurd
    5 Saurus Cav. (bane of my life I just don't like um)
    5 Charmleon Skinks
    1 Scar Vet. on Cold1
    1 Scar Vet.

And then I need to base loads, really hate basing models. Painting and Highlighting brown is not my thing! So I've got say, 60+ models to base :(

BUT IT WILL BE DONE!!!! :)

17. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

heading into the GW store today to do some painting at lunchtime - on the list to complete this month:
    20 Hormagaunts
    12 Genestealers

What's everyone else doing?

18. lizardninja
    Temple Guard

lizardninja New Member

I'll probably go for 10 dark elf warriors just to get back into painting stuff :)

19. strewart
    OldBlood

I have already purchased 2 models this year, so at least 3 to paint...

My immediate goal is to finially finish my EotG and to finish my unit of 6 dragon princes.

20. Chaq Mundi
    Saurus

Chaq Mundi New Member

I think this a good idea for me, I'm way behind where I think I should be regarding my fully-converted WOC army; pretty much everything's completely planned out, but I've only converted 15 of the marauders, 2 of the Warriors, and 1.5 of the Knights. Besides that, I also have my Lizzies, the Jabberslythe I got for Christmas, and some other conversion projects that I'm itching to get started on. Busy, busy!