1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Painting New Years Resolution

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by strewart, Dec 15, 2011.

1. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

With me just ordering another 12 chaos warriors and 10 knights, I better hurry up and get painting! I don't have one model 100% complete yet sadly... However, I have a fair few that are on their way. I will aim to get my first test chaos warrior finished this week then hopefully I can churn through the rest of the unit after that.

2. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

As well as Cang ;) you've got a very full plate right now mate!

3. strewart
    OldBlood

Cang was alreafy on my list previously so thats ok, but yes I do have him. Luckily, he counts as 1 model so I can paint something else that I bought before this year for this challenge. ;)

Next bit of cool weather we get (its been high 30's and even a couploe of 41C days here, paint dries before it gets to the model!) I'll try to motor through a bunch of warriors. I really shouldn't be still buying since I have so many. But at least everything is getting assembled quickly, which is an improvement on previous years.

4. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

Finished a Mawloc last night and am close to getting those 8 Termagaunts done, will post a pic when completely finished and based. Next on the list is another 6 Warriors and 2 Hive guard, maybe the other 8 Genestealers I've got left if I have the drive. I'm at -30 TYD at the moment though so I'll probably do something different after those so i don't lose interest entirely. Got 40 Ork Boyz primed and ready to go though so they're a likely next candidate. This has been the longest I've been painting one army since I started collecting and I'm not sure I have the dedication!

5. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

So many orcs and goblins in storage, waiting for paint. ~150 goblins alone... Think I need an assembly line.

6. Creeping Death
    Skink

Creeping Death Member

I'm playing warhammer now for over 5 years and I have a lot to paint (play Lizardmen (3500 pts worth) and also collect Goblins (1500 pts), Skaven (3000 pts) and Dwarfs (2500 pts)). Everything is blackened, but only a few with actual paint. Finished 2 Kroxigors, 3 sallies (not the handlers though) and 8 Miners around Xmas and I'm now trying to finish my 24 skinks. 15 done 9 to go. Then my SW (2 units, one with spears and one with HW). I hope when posting here that I will paint more ;-)

7. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

if you've got pics we'd love to see them! keep up the good work!

8. strewart
    OldBlood

My end of February update looks a bit grim.

Bought:
    Chaos Sorc Lord (half painted)
    Chaos Lord on Daemonic Steed (Half painted)
    Chaos Lord on foot (basecoated)
    BSB Conversion (Assembled)
    10 Maurader Horsemen (6 assembled)
    New VC Zombie Dragon (Assembled)
    12 Chaos Warriors (Assembled and undercoated)
    12 Chaos Warriors (Half assembled)
    10 Chaos Knights (Still on sprues)
    20 Warriors with Halberds (not yet shipped to me)
    Bits for a chariot conversion (in post)
    Cang the Dragon! (Assembled, needs GS filling)

100% Painted:
    1 Chaos Warrior.
    P3021369.jpg

However, I am at least making progress on everything else which is more than previous years. I am now hoping to finish painting my first box of 12 chaos warriors and my lord on daemonic steed very soon since I have finally worked out techniques for everything that I like.

I'm pretty much setting myself a year to buy, assemble and paint a full 2500 point army in this thread, plus whatever extra random models I decided to buy along the way.

9. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

Good looking warrior strewart, I like the metallic green helmet and fur. Nice work.

yeah, February was a bit grim for me too, all due to a Tyranid Battleforce arriving. Did manage to get a Mawloc done though, so pretty happy about that one.

For March already on order:
    1 Tyrannofex
    1 Tervigon (GW finally released a model for this one yeah!)
    1 Hive Tyrant (again, finally in plastic!)
    These 3 will put me at -41 for the year so far.

Partially painted though:
    8 Termagaunts 80%
    6 Warriors 25%
    2 Hive Guard 15-20%

April I'm planning on starting my Ork army, which should bring me closer to 0 again :)

10. Creeping Death
    Skink

Creeping Death Member

Finally finished my 24 skinks AND my Scar Vet (based and coated (gives a nice shine to them)). Am now painting the 9 handlers of my 3 salamanders. Maybe I will post them, when I feel more confident that they are reasonably good ;-). On 21 April there is a competition in Belgium and the Netherlands and I promised to the GW shop owner in Ghent that I will enter a my Scar vet, a Krox and my Salamanders (thats why I'm doing the handlers first before my SW units). I also started my Skink Priest, because I can't work on one thing alone.

11. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Is it too late to have a new years resolution? :D

Things listed below are unpainted, primed, partially painted, or in need of repainting:

26 SW w/HW
    26 SW w/Spears
    40+ 5th edition SW w/HW
    4 5th edition SW w/Spears
    20 CoC
    4 Terradons
    10 Temple Guard
    36 Skinks
    40+ 5th edition Skink Archers
    2 Priests
    2 Scar Vets (or Oldbloods)
    1 Carnosaur w/rider

1 Wood Elf Dragon
    2 Waywatchers

12 WoC

Tons of 'Nids (I've only gotten 3 models painted in this army)

Whew. I though I had more accomplished than that. All my 5th edition guys were done when I was just learning, so I'm going to repaint them. I haven't bought anything yet, so I'm at least ahead!

12. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I'll get in late too. I bought gobs of models last year. This year I bought a bunch of bits. A Kroxigor head (I lost a Kroxigor head a while back) and a replacement base to Tehehuan (I lost my base for that too) and a set of miscelaneous bits that I'll get roughly 10 whole models from. I also bought 32 skinks yesterday with the store credit I won. I bought some 10 halfling, two DOW special characters, and a halfling hot pot thrower (4 models) earlier this year along with Tiktakto and a Kroxigor. Not counting the bits that don't form whole models that's ~60 model purchases this year.

So this year I finished 11 skink skirmsihers, a test model for a chamo skink, and 8 Salamander/Razordon crewmen, and 5 skink horned one riders (the horned ones were done ages ago). 50% done on a Stegadon, 90% done on Tichi Huichi, 95% done on a skink priest, 95% done on a skink chief, and 80% done with 23 Saurus Warriors. It's Spring Break and I have little else to do but paint so I plant to get my almost dones completely done and sart my first conversion project, skink zombies for a Storm of Magic VC pact.

I'm not planning to buy any more Lizardmen this year except bits for a Tet conversion or Kroxigor if I can get a bargain. I need more Dogs of War Core units but those are hard to find at reasonable prices, the downside of collecting a whole army that's OOP. This year I should easily paint more than a I buy, but I haven't painted much this year till a few weeks ago so I'm losing on the month to month battle.

EDIT: Guess I bought about 30 modelsI forgot about in January. I need to go on a serious buying freeze if I want to participate in this.

13. strewart
    OldBlood

Yreah its never too late to join! And I really should freeze my buying to and start ramping up the painting. Fairly simple eqation; paint more models than you buy. I am not sure I would be able to freeze myself completely, but I will set myself a goal of finishing 5 models in the rest of this month, and if I don't then no more buying at all until I am ahead.

14. Creeping Death
    Skink

Creeping Death Member

Yeah, it was my birthday this month (6th) and I got 1 krox and 12 Chameleon Skinks (so no converting needed of some skinks). So actually it isn't my fault I'm falling behind ;-). I'm on a roll tough, just finished my 9 handlers (Gave them 3 layers of Thraka green wash and finished the spears of like my other skinks and did the gold bits). Now starting to give first Ice Blue layer to my SWs, 6 down, 26 to go. Searched how to post pictures here, so will soon do this (hopefully this weekend).

15. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Happy belated birthday, Creeping Death. <--not something you hear very often

So I've gotten 16 Saurus, 3 Skink handlers, and a Salamander painted so far this year. That's 20 models. None of them are based yet though. Does that mean they don't count?

I've also bought one Kroxigor, and I have my sight set on a box of skinks. That's 25 models. This means I'm +19 so far, and I'll be -5 after a few days.

How many models does a stegadon count for? 6 or 1?

16. Little Wolf
    Saurus

Little Wolf New Member

Right now I have

finished:
    1 Scar-Vet
    5 Saurus Warriors
    1 Slann mage-Priest

and bought:
    1 stegadon

I'd say I'm about even right now.

17. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

I'd say 6, depending on how many skinks you can cram onto the howdah.

April was a positive month for me, bought 3 of the new Tyranid models, painted 8 Genestealers. +5 for the month, -33 so far for the year. Am planning on starting painting my Orks this month though (at least 20 Boyz) so will look a bit healthier at the end of the month.

18. strewart
    OldBlood

End of march looks pretty much the same as end of February for me. The positive is I haven't bought anything else (I've resisted) but the negative is I have completed any more models. I have 8 on the go at the moment though, and another 10 with undercoat. So at least for a change this month I am moving in the right direction. :) Been way too busy with uni unfortunately.

19. Creeping Death
    Skink

Creeping Death Member

Well, I finished 1 Chameleon Skink. I'm pretty happy with it. My other 11 are basecoated annd allready received their washes. I wished I had finished them in March, but I guess I have to settle with the end of April. I'm currently -29 for this year. Those 11 ChSk will make it -40.

20. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

I'm getting closer to the goal now - April saw me buy no models, and i managed to get 17 painted. with another 5 close to completion, May is starting to look good too. That puts me at 66 bought, 50 painted. -16 so far year to date.