1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Painting Slump

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Deathfrisbee2000, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Deathfrisbee2000
    Kroxigor

Deathfrisbee2000 New Member

Sigh. I have 11 more Saurus to paint for my escalation league that starts this month, but everytime I sit down, I paint a handful of scales or a shoulder pad and then give up. I need to find some kind of motivation. Other than ADD medication or illegal drugs, any suggestions?

--DF2K

2. Gor-rok
    Terradon

Gor-rok Member

Fantasy books on CD (or whatever genera suits you). Sit, listen, paint. I'm listening to the BBC version of the Hobbit right now; Ive also got a Gotrek & Felix story lined up.

It also helps me to set a goal that I must accomplish before getting up. I'll force myself to do all the metallic colors on a unit of models for example, or finish all the shields. Then I reward myself with something or other, usually a vice of some sort (tobacco, glass of whiskey, biscuit).

Hope that helps!

3. Guardian of Hexoatl
    Temple Guard

Guardian of Hexoatl New Member

Okay. Gor-rok.. You sir are a genius! I did what you suggested to him and I must say.. it works! I made plans to go to Powells (A six story book store in Portland Oregon with an entire 3,000 square foot room on the 5th floor dedicated to fantasy books :D ) on tuesday and then to go to my friends party later that night. I decided to make that day of fun my reward. I would go only If on monday I finished my current project which is to finish painting a block of Saurus and a squad of Dire Avengers. So Monday morning I poped in some headphones and listened to "Fireborn" by Nick Kyme on my ipod and began the painting :) I must say, This is how I'm probably gonna paint from now on, save group painting sessions :)

4. Gor-rok
    Terradon

Gor-rok Member

I don't know about the genius part, but thanks! :D Always happy to be of service...

5. Juhaaha
    Razordon

Juhaaha Member

Try listening Heelanhammer or Podhammer episodes. Helps for me

6. msinosic
    Kroxigor

msinosic New Member

I'd rather have 11 models to go than have only painted 2 Saurus in total! ;)

7. Chahlie
    Cold One

Chahlie New Member

Here's what I do. Undercoat your models with a pink ink wash. Really, bright, rose pink. It motivates me to get them painted, because I don't want to go on the battlefield with pink saurus. Of course, if you like pink, just choose a color you don't like. (I stole the idea from a friend who used nasty yellow-green, but I liked that color so much I now use it on my space marines. Go figure.

8. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Haha thats a good idea actually, just don't make the undercoat something horrible that will show through. :p

9. Chahlie
    Cold One

Chahlie New Member

That's why I would use an ink wash. It doesn't show through if you give them a base-coat, but it's still visible enough to not leave them unpainted.

10. Lolgamer
    Skink

Lolgamer New Member

My skinks are pink and purple :D