1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Parry save for cavalry

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by leapin lizard, Feb 12, 2011.

1. leapin lizard
    Jungle Swarm

leapin lizard New Member

I thought that only foot infantry models with mundane hw/shields got parry saves, but Army Builder is showing cav units that use mundane hw/shieds with a parry save also, is that correct?

If it is, do Monstrous Cav and/or models riding monsters with HW/shield get parry saves?

Thanks in advance for the help. :)

LL

2. Josh Ichimaru
    Cold One

Josh Ichimaru Member

New rules cav get parry save.

3. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Wow I actually didn't know that.

Interesting, however, I doubt there are many cavalry units that actually use a hand weapon not a spear or lance.

4. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

Erm the very last paragraph in the parry rules clearly states frenzied and mounted models don't get it.

5. leapin lizard
    Jungle Swarm

leapin lizard New Member

Thanks for the responses guys.

Strewart I came across it the other night in a league game vs Dark Elves. COK's use lances on the charge (if they get the charge), and I believe if the DE player was correct, they use hw/shields after that in ensuing rounds of the same combat.

HoverBoy - I'm going to check that out I saw the Frenzy thing but probably stopped reading the paragraph thinking it wouldn't address cav at that point. I hope your right, otherwise I nerfed this guy out of his 6+ parry saves in combat. Of course he nerfed me by giving his Dreadlord/cold one a 0+ armour save when he was wearing the armour of destiny (1+ armour save that cannot be improved).

Regards,
    LL :smug:

6. Josh Ichimaru
    Cold One

Josh Ichimaru Member

You sure, I played a mtach yesterday and the hobby store owner said that cav get a pary save, bloodknights and blackknights were both reciving pary saves. I trust him since he owns a hobby store but ill have to check this one up :S

7. bradsul
    Skink

bradsul New Member

Mounted models do not get parry saves. Final paragraph under 'Parry Save' on pg88 of the BRB.

8. leapin lizard
    Jungle Swarm

leapin lizard New Member

Yeah, these guys are right on. Page 88 of the LRB. The last sentence under Parry Save says mounted models do not get a Parry save. I am finding a lot of little things in Army Builder that don't show up correctly (which is how this question all started). Some others I have found; it lists a Parry save for TG when they don't get one having to use Halberds now. When Skinks ride a Steg it reduces their leadership to 5 while the Steg stays at 6. When putting the dragon helm on a Scar-Vet it doesn't give him +1 to his armor save, in the rule book it clearly states it improves armor saves by 1 while also giving a 2+ flaming attack ward save.

Thanks again for the help everyone.

LL :smug:

9. strewart
    OldBlood

Yeah I didn't think it had changed... Should have checked before agreeing, sorry.

So in subsequent rounds when they start using hand weapon instead of the lance, it actually doesn't give any benefit at all as it has always been.

10. oxyquel
    Skink

oxyquel New Member

but can they switch from lances to hand weapons and shields? since lance its a special weapon dont they must stay as they are? same for our COC we cant use hand weapons since we have spears. am i wrong?

11. Eladimir
    Salamander

Eladimir New Member

Also can't the TG have HW/S out while they march do the armour save and then once in CC have to switch to Halberds?

12. oxyquel
    Skink

oxyquel New Member

as for the temple guards im pretty sure that they must use only the halberd. no parry saves for them..

13. Sao
    Cold One

Sao New Member

Cavalry
    1st round of combat (if they they charged) Lance
    2nd '' '' '' Lance (just no Str modifier)
    3rd etc etc

They count as using broken lance to batter people over the face (same for spears)
    If people use the broken idea then they would only work once per game....

And TG have a 3+ AS vs Shooting/Magic
    4+ AS in combat due to halbards being two-handed, therefore they cannot use shields

And you do not get a parry save mounted or anything else except for models with the INFANTRY rule (somewhere in the WFRB)

And never trust hobby store owners, or GW staff. Their rules knowledge is not that much superior to a regular player. It only benifits new players or those who cba to look in the rulebook.

The only GW staff I trust are those with a FaQ near them or the Games Dev's. As you WOULD hope they new how to play the game they wrote!

Lloyd

14. strewart
    OldBlood

Correct on every point. A broken lance (or one not charging that turn) is essentially a hand weapon since it gives no benefit at all. And TG can only ever use the shield at long range, not in combat.

Bretonnians do have a special rule where they can charge with a mundane lance and in the next turn, switch to their magic other weapon.

15. Gor-rok
    Terradon

Gor-rok Member

Not that it has any practical effect that I'm aware of, but the rules for both Lance and Spear say that "in subsequent turns, or if the wielder did not charge, the model uses its hand weapon".

If nothing else, it explains why they can use the lance on a later charge...