1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Pinkies Paint log: Terrain for the terrain competition added

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Pinktaco, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Re: My 2½ month paint quest. Steg & bast = done, kroxigors n

Perfection is the enemy of the good, especially when you have a pile of unpainted models. When I get around to paining my second Slann (my first Slann was painted fifteen years ago), I will be satisfied if mine is at the quality of yours, but I have a lot of things to do before my Slann and I have to decide on a color scheme.

One small thing I might do in your position is either wash or highlight the bone tusks, or wash or highlight the Skink attendant. The Skink is practically invisible as is.

2. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

A bunch of badly taken photos incoming:

But it does give an impression of what I've painted. Besides that I've also begun painting my rippers, terradons (but I'm probably going to repaint all of that), my other kroxigors and some other small things.

Attached Files:

3. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

No :jawdrop:

First you use Agrax Earthshade which is quite nice in making the little details pop out and giving you a brownish color.
    Then you use Athonian Camoshade which will give a green look.
    :smug:

4. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Yeah I realized that in my earlier painting career. When it takes forever to paint just one models you'll never finish and it'll suck out all your motivation. But thanks :smug:

I would like to point out though that the slann is a long way from finished. The skink and bones haven't been painted yet. What you see is the white primer. :)

5. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Re: Pinktaco's pink paintlog

Today I ordered some glue and red paint to make some dripping blood. I want my carnosaur to looks as ferocious as possible, so blood dripping from the mouth is needed :bored: :D

6. Crillaz
    Cold One

Crillaz Member

Great job with your army! I really like the colors you have chosen. Only thing I don't think fit really is the yellow scales on the basti, it looked better when you had it purple in my opinion.

Anyway, looks great and I wish I had been more original, like you, and not painted mine blue… :)

Keep it up!

/Crillaz

7. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Thanks Crillaz :)
    Painting the colors GW uses aren't bad, I still think the blue color is a great color scheme and besides if you're new gaining some experiene in one way or another is never a bad idea.
    You can always make the blue army small and start over with something completely original if you feel like. :smug:

8. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

A quick update:

I got my order from GW (2x templeguards and 2x carnosaur/troglodon kits). I've already assembled a carnosaur and will be spraying him tomorrow. I'll get down to the actual painting once my girlfriends brother is on his way back home tomrrow. I've decided to go with the original red color which is also on the box for my carno. The reason is quite simple, it just fits with my theme.

My slann is also 95% down now. I just needed some more paints (which I got today) so I can finish him up. He's looking great so I can wait for one day to finally have 30 templeguards painted and have him with them.

I'll be uploading pictures of my carnosaur in the coming week once progress have been made.

Oh.. I also ordered some red paint and a glue in order to make some dribbing blood effect. I'm just not sure if my order got through their system because I haven't heard anything from them <.<

9. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Painting on my carnosaur is well on its way. I got the (most) scales and skin done. Unfortunately I have completely forgotten to add on the head gear for the carnosaur so it's rather bald right now haha. Once that has been done glued on I can paint the head and get on with the upper back scales.

Pictures will probably be uploaded tomorrow.

10. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

I promised pictures so here they are:

povv.jpg

oi71.jpg

I still need a lot done on the head, but at the moment I'll leave it until I've made the rest, not including the throne and the OB.

11. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

So far so good. :)

12. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Anyway just a quick PLGO update:

I've have been painting, but I'm not done with the carno. Real life things got in way. I'm 95% done though.

I haven't had the time to paint anything else though, so that's unfortunate. My goal, after the carno, is to paint 30 templeguards - I'm hoping for something like 5 a week with my current speed.

On another note I've started playing with a COR bus including several characters. It's a lot of fun and powerful, however none of my current riders are painted and they're in a bad condition. So I'll be ordering 10 naked Dark Elf Cold Ones from a place that sells bits and make some proper riders. I'll be making something like 3 scar vets and 1 oldblood so I'll be using bits/leftovers from my carnos and templeguard leftovers so I'm already excited for that! Only issue is that it won't be until after I've painted those damn guards.

One last thing: I have a another secret thing I'll be showing you in my next update. Should be interesting. :)

13. Hojdar
    Cold One

Hojdar Active Member

Good to hear that carno is getting there. I admire your dedication to the templeguards though. Painting 30 straight for 5-ish weeks sounds like a pain, even for a patient and slow painter like myself. You'll be seeing temple guards everywhere by the time your done I'd say :D That COR project also sounds exciting!

14. starkey
    Jungle Swarm

starkey New Member

Army looks good, I too will be doing purple Lizards alot of inspiration here :)

15. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Painting the templeguards aren't going as quickly as I wished. I messed up some of the colors on my unit champion so I had to redo certain part due to the colors clashing, I'm happy with the result now though even if it took quite some time.

My basing skills are still a hit and miss, but it'll do.

Anyway here are some pictures of my (yet to be finished carno):

I've actually been having a great time with my carnosaur. A combination of iceshard blizzard and bloodroar on a WoC lord made me kill him in one turn of combat with either 0 or 1 wounds taken on the carno. Following this he ate a WoC BSB.
    He has also eaten a high elf lord on the baby dragon so that's interesting.

Tonight I'll bring him against my HE friend, so we'll see how he does. :)

So.. I have one last thing in my update:

This cute little Japanese Spitz will be mine in 2 weeks time, so I'm very much looking forward to that! My girlfriend and I was the first to look at the litter so we could freely choose which one we wanted. We choose the biggest of the bunch who incidently is also the "alfa-male" of his siblings and is named Zeus.

Oh and one very last thing: I've only talked about my guard champion, but I am working on 7 more on the same time, they just aren't nearly as done as this one! :)

Attached Files:

16. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Just need to paint 7 shield/arms and I'll be done with 8. So it's already looking great.

Attached Files:

17. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Look what came to me today:

Two 30 model (25mm) movement trays. One 10 model cavalry tray and one 50 model (20mm) tray. All with steel sheet.
    To make the magic work I also ordered 150 magnets (in 3 difference size), but I regret that I didn't get more.

I also got myself six 10 model (20mm) skirmish movement trays along with an additional two 5 model (20mm) movement trays

The steel sheet more or less fit the movement trays, I only had to cut one of them with a scissor. The steel sheets are self-adhesive so that's awesome.

Some time in the future I'll order some more steel sheets in order to magnetize the skirmish movement trays.

As you can see on the picture I can hold the movement tray upside down so they work really well, which is great. I'm also loving the ease of taking models on and off. It really speeds up time to put the models in order, which can at times be annoying when you have lots of loose models.

Overall I'm quite happy, even though the initial order got quite expensive, but from here on out it won't be that expensive. Definatetly worth it.

So, on to my templeguards:

Over the last two days I've managed to assemble, prime and paint both scales and skin of 20 templeguard models. I can now proceed to paint the details. I'll probably be painting 5 at a time from here on out because otherwise I'll probably kill myself - having to paint one color at a time :smug:

So it's been a productive few days.

**EDIT**

I realize they are some poor pictures, but you get the idea :)

Attached Files:

18. GCPD
    Bastiladon

GCPD Active Member

What kind of magnets did you get (and from where)? I'm starting to look into magnetising myself, so any advice/tips you can give me would be great!

19. Crillaz
    Cold One

Crillaz Member

http://www.gaussboys.com

This shop can be recommended. Haven't ordered from there myself, but people I know have.

/Crillaz

20. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Well I only have a very limited experience with these magnetics since I've just got them today.

I orderen from https://www.tinyworlds.co.uk/ and it was a rather quick procedure, so my only issue with them is that they only take Paypal. That's not an issue in itself, but it becomes one when Paypal doesn't work with their site. For whatever reason I did, however, get it to work after a couple of days trying.

Anyway I like the site because it had both movement trays, magnets and steel sheet. For whatever reason I've been having issues finding it all in one place in Denmark.

About the actual magnetizing part; it was rather quick really. The steel sheet is put on the movement tray. I then glued on 1 of the 6 x 2mm magnets unto the buttom of the base (of my templeguards). Without being an expert of having tried different steel sheets and magnets I'd still say that those I bought works really well. I obviously haven't tried shaking my movement tray full of models with their faces downwards, but as you can see they can easily hold with no problem. They do their job.

Overall it is so simple to do that there really isn't that much to say.

Nexy up: magnetizing my ripperdactyls/terradons.

* I used these magnets http://www.tinyworlds.co.uk/magnets/neodymium-rare-earth-magnets and I bought one of each size.

I'm not sure if this site is more expensive than others though.
    Also, if you (or anybody else) would like a photo of the actual size of the magnets and/or a view of how the magnets have been applied I can easily do that.