1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pinktaco's army: Almost done with my steg aka the red beast

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Pinktaco, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Pilgrim Pod
    Skink

Pilgrim Pod New Member

Re: Pinktaco's red/brown/gold army (a newbie's contribution)

I'm loving the colour scheme also! It's nice to see something as brave and different as those saurus. I love how you've implemented the idea. Looking forward to what you have lined up next to show us. :)

2. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

Thanks for the kind words guys :3

I'm pretty much done with my regular saurus warriors, if it wasn't because I manage to make some huge mistakes where the pensle slipped. It resulted in a green spot on one of my saurus' back <.< another one has an ushabti bone color spot on his leg. So they'll have to be redone. Otherwise that's 27 core units ready.

Next up is making the command group and then I'm done with saurus for now.. which is nice since I'm sick and tired of painting the same units lol.

Anyway after that I'll make a salamander. it'll probably be green so it'll stay within my colours. I decided to make a salamander before the steg because of the size. I don't think I have the time for such a large unit being I'm rather time constraint at the moment. I've just moved in a new apartment so I have to get settled + my eductation is rather demanding.

I'll obviously update with pictures once the full 30 units saurus unit is done.

3. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Oh also.. I'm horrible at painting eyes lol. I know I'll just have to keep on trying, but holy hell some of the are more fortunate than other.

My ETA on the commmand group is by the end of next week, however I cannot promise anything.

4. newscales
    Kroxigor

newscales New Member

the red/gold/green reminds me of chinatown.

5. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

dsc0121xv.jpg

dsc0118yl.jpg

Attached Files:

6. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

I messed up the command groupd for my saurus unit. I think I was a bit too fast with with. I'll have to redo some of them. Instead I painted my salamander and I think I'm satisfied with the colours. They're similar to the rest of my saurus units, however I decided to go with a green colour for the body since I'll be giving my cold ones and other monsters the same - I figured it wouldn't look too hot if I made both the riders and the monster the same colour so I think this will be good.

*EDIT*

Oh yeah, I gave the salamander golden claws. I realized it looked sort of dumb only having gold on the tail and the head, so I figured it would be better to have some more gold. I'm not too sure if I'm happy with the result, but I suppose that is also due to how some of the claws appear to be messed up (I bought the figure used). Also I suppose the claws aren't supposed to be painted golden, but It'll have to do. :)

7. bonz
    Cold One

bonz Active Member

something you might find useful, when i used to paint gold i would take a yellowy brownish colour, GW 'snakebite leather' was a good one, then mix it with a light silver metallic, i used 'mithril silver'.

the result is a pale gold colour which gives far better coverage than any GW golds, one coat should do it even over a black undercoat then add a wash to shade

you can vary the colour depending on what brown or silver metallic you use and the ratio of the mix, maybe give it a try?

also the red saurus look awesome!!

8. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Re: Pinktaco's red/brown/gold army - salamander is done

Yeah, I always base-coast my gold with either a brown mixed with either mithril silver or a gold. It means you only need to add one layer really. Khemri brown + burnished gold is my usual base coat.

9. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

So everything concerning warhammer have been put on a Hold for the last 2 month, however, I'll soon be back at full speed. I've just ordered the New book, some paint, the bastiladon and 2 kits of terradon. I should also have a slann and some templeguards coming (bought used) so I got tons to paint, but more importantl. I'm almost ready to actually play :)

10. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

zasx.jpg

So I messed around with some of colors for my skinks and I think I'm happy with the result. He is obviously not done yet.

The yellow paint is meant to be war painting and not an actual part of the skink's skin. He he's my first one and the paint is a bit rough.

I'll be doing some more when I get the time (in one week I'm back to full speed!). Until then I'd like your opinion on the color scheme I've picked.

Oh and yeah I was inspired by the yellow face skinks in the new book.. or was it the white dwarf issue. :p

11. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Re: Pinktaco's liz' - purple/pink skink added, opinions need

I like it! Some definition to the pink scales with, say, a red wash and some highlights to the skin and it will look great! Also, the yellow is great complementary colour to the purple. Good luck with getting back on track with the hobby!

12. lizardmek
    Saurus

lizardmek New Member

I think a very light purple wash over the pink scales will blend the two colours together

13. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Already done. Will be posting pictures some time thursday. Looks good :)

14. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

So yeah my inactivity unfortunately continued. Having painted some of my skinks I completely lost the will to continue lol. I dunno why, but I just hate paiting all the their juvelry with the gold color. To me they're more or less just suicide units so yeah I dunno..

Fortunately though I just received my kroxigors, a bunch of new paints (one of which was needed for the bastilado, the rest for my ripperdactyls) and a new brush so I been paiting and have found my will to continue ;)

However, since Total War: Rome 2 released and I had my first battle this weekend I've been rather limited in painting time. Anyways these are some of the things I've managed:

i0xm.jpg
    kgxk.jpg

For the Rippers I decided to go for the original color since I figured it would fit to the rest of my army:

qk1f.jpg

As for the skinks? Well I'm thinking of just painting the skin, scales and weapons. Although for now they aren't high on my priority list. Currently I'm unsure whether or not to just continue with my bastiladon and finish it up, paint more ripperdactyls (and finish the current one) or paint some kroxigors.

All 3 of them are something I'd love to paint.

I got another battle this week (probably friday) and I got school and some other stuff in between so I'll have to make time for it whenever I can.

15. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Re: Pinktaco's army: bastiladon + ripperdactyl added.

Also yeah - I know the pictures are rather shitty. I'll have to update some time in the future. I'm personally really happy with the bastiladon. I like the color and the actual painting is alright all things considering.

The Ripperdactyl is.. ok-ish. The colors are fine, but I'm limited due to my own skills lol. Hopefully I'll get better in time. :p

16. Draxack
    Skink

Draxack New Member

Nice work on the bastiladon, can't wait to see more work from you.

17. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

Bastiladon and Ripper are coming along nicely. Looking forward to an update.

18. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

I've been messing around with a kroxigor today and this is the result:

5c0q.jpg
    0dgf.jpg

19. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

Re: Pinktaco's army: Kroxigors updated

I like this one! Keep it up man.

20. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Re: Pinktaco's army: Kroxigors updated

Study has keps me busy. Got an exam this friday followed by a week off from school :D

That means I'll get some painting done. I've already painted all kinds of things, but none of it has been finished, so I hope that'll be done.

I got 3 kroxigors that are 75-80%, 3 terradons that got their base colors, but needs to be highlighted and stuff like that and some skinks and chameleons skinks that needs to be finished. Oh yeah, not to mentioned the freggin Bast needs to be finished lol. Still haven't gotten around to that <.<

I'm also anxious to get going with my Ancient Stegadon (I actually got both the old AND new model waiting). I got a color scheme in my head that I hope will pan out.

Hopefully I'll get the steg, bastiladon and kroxigors done. If all goes well I might continue with an additional 3 more kroxigors since they haven't even begun work. Alternatively I might also just go full retard and get all my skinks painted. They can be relatively quickly done.

Oh yeah and an update on the gold painting issue I had earlier - Im considering using a gold from erhh Vallejo or whatever it's called. Apparenlty it's supposed to be a god send gift for all painters, so I might consider getting that. Oh and some other paints such as yellow from them, since it's hard to cover with.

All in all my current color scheme is something like: gold/brown/red for all saurus and purple/brownish gold/pink for skinks and kroxigors. Monsters will be whatever I just come up with.

Any ideas for my slann?

So yeah.. I'm not dead and neither is my painting. I realize I take forever with updating <.< but I've also been playing the actual game and that takes some of my time as well. Hopefully I can have some of the bigger things painted in the following week.