1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pinktaco's army: Almost done with my steg aka the red beast

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Pinktaco, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

Re: Pinktaco's army: Kroxigors updated

Right, so here's a small update:

I've put my GF on skink duties so we managed to paint the skin/scales of 18 skinks. They now need some warpaint (yellow), eyes, weapons and other small details, however I'm quite happy we managed to get through all 18. At least now they actually have some paint on them which will look alright when I field them.

I've also given some love to 2 more kroxigors. They've had their scales painted and their some of their skin coloured. It shouldn't take long to get the rest of their skin. After that they need warpaint like the rest of my skinks, weapon etc.

Also I've begun a rather time consuming paint job with my Ancient Stegadon. I'm probably manually painted 70% of all the scales on the creature by now. Hopefully I can be done with it by tomorrow. I did this because I'm horribad at dybrushing and just washing like I usually do didn't quite do the trick. So I decided to go full retard.

Here's a couple of pictures. They're quite bad, but I wanted to upload something so you get the idea what I'm talking about:

qip8.jpg
    cojy.jpg
    0mes.jpg

As you can see the steg still needs quite a lot of work. The idea was that the red colour beneath the scales will pop out between the scales. Had I just used the ushabti bone colour and washed it with a red it would've looked quite bad I reckon. In fact I actually did try it just with a brown was and it didn't look well. Overall I'm quite happy with the current result (the left side is as of right now completely done). I can't wait to be done with the scales and begin on the other parts of it.

So My general theme of the army is:

(all) Saurus model to be painted with the red/brown/gold colours.
    (all) skinks + kroxigors to be painted with purple, pink and yellow.
    Bastiladon is purple/green.
    Ancient Stegadon is red and brown (for now).

This way I won't have to many different colours in my army and what I have is something I think that makes sense (green/purple on bast is not far from skink color and same with the A-steg).

2. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Re: Pinktaco's army: Ancient steg added

I finally got all the scales painted. I almost killed my neck in the process, but now I can finally rest. I don't have a lot of classes tomorrow and they're somewhat late so I finally had enough free time to put work into my stegadon.

In all honesty I'm quite happy with the result. Both the Steg and my bastiladon will be my favorite paint jobs and most beautiful models on the battlefield, especially because they're so large so your opponent really gets to see what is coming for him.

I realize my work isn't perfect, but painting every scale individually without dybrushing is a pain and I'm not a great painter, so there's that.

I'll let the Steg dry (just applied the wash) and I'll upload some pictures when I get up (it's bed time!).

3. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Right, so here they are:

nh3k.jpg

b1qq.jpg

kh6p.jpg

tft5.jpg

I haven't yet finished the grey spikes on the tail and I think I should consider to paint some of the other spikes on the back with grey (followed by nuln oil wash).

I'll see if I can't be done with that some time today.

4. hilburn
    Cold One

hilburn New Member

I think it would look better with ice blue scales you should repaint them.

Nah it looks sick man, good work

5. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

:rage:

But thanks :D . I'm adding spikes as we speak. I have a game tonight so unfortunately I can't get as much done as I was hoping, but luckily I'm free tomorrow so I'm hoping for make a good progressions.

6. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Alrighty then..

It's been going slow, but I have made some progress. :jawdrop:
    I've been busy with school though and I just got myself a PS4 some weeks ago so that has been eating into my paint time as well. Anyway here are some updated pictures of my steg:

tr9n.jpg

jg4a.jpg

z75l.jpg

Personally I think the wash went a bit overboard on the steg so but becoming a better painter is a slow process so I'll just have to accept that it doesn't get perfect just because I say so, lol. With that said though I'm proud of the howda. I'm really looking forward to painting the second part with the blowpipes since I already have plans for making the blowpipes sexeh.

When that is done there's just the skinks left, but they should be painted rather quickly.

After this I'll move on to my bastiladon and get the crystal painted.

**EDIT**

one thing though - I bought the beast used, already painted, and I resprayed it. I might've been a bit too generous with the spray because some of the parts on the steg have less details than the would've. It's a shame, but I'll probably buy another some time this year and give it a go again :meh:

7. Connosaurus
    Saurus

Connosaurus New Member

Re: Pinktaco's army: Almost done with my steg aka the red be

For some weird reason i really like the saddle/thing

8. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

You mean the howda? Where the skinks go (if they were actually painted) :p

9. Connosaurus
    Saurus

Connosaurus New Member

Yea srry i had a brain fart, forgot what the howda was called.

10. sillyduck123
    Saurus

sillyduck123 Member

Like the color scheme :D