1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: According to the chart in the original post, which Game of Thrones character are you?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Mar 29, 2018.

?

According to the chart in the original post, which Game of Thrones character are you?

1. Arya Stark

2. Cersei Lannister

3. Eddard Stark

4. Brienne of Tarth

5. Ramsay Bolton

6. Sansa Stark

7. Jon Snow

8. Khal Drogo

9. Tyrion Lannister

10. Joffrey Baratheon

11. Jamie Lannister

12. Daenerys Targaryen

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I'd like to get back to discussing GoT, I really liked our chat about it.

Sooooo favourite scenes featuring your favourite characters?

2. Hyperborean
    Ripperdactil

Hyperborean Well-Known Member

Hrmmm favorite scenes...I mean look the Burning of Mereen like in the books, excellent, in the show just as excellent lets be real here.

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Welcome to AoD. The Age of Derailment!

But back on target, in a straight up, one-on-one fight, which GoT would be the strongest?

The rules:
    • single combat, no help from anyone or anything (people, dragons, etc.)
    • you can choose the character in any state they appeared in throughout the timeline of the TV series (flashbacks don't count) i.e. Jamie before his hand was lost is fair game, but not Robert Baratheon in his prime (since this occurred outside of the timeline of the show)
    • the fight would take place in a fighting arena in average weather
    • no magic or magic items
    • characters can be equipped as they were at any point throughout the TV series (but no magic items and for the sake of argument let's disallow valyrian steel...in which case the combatant would be given the same weapon made of normal steel)
    • no ranged weapons; let's only consider close combat
    • try not to exploit any loop holes in these rules... the idea is a fair one on one close combat without the aid of magic items or ranged warfare. Simply skill + weaponry vs. skill + weaponry

[​IMG]

4. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

Sir Arthur dayne

5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

As per the rules...

You have to choose a character as they were between the time period starting from the first episode of season 1 to the last episode of season 7. Flashbacks don't count. During the specified time frame, Sir Arthur Dayne is already deceased.

6. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Huh. I thought I posted this last night but apparently I was too tired to click "post reply".... here it is:

Ser Barristan Selmy

Main problem with him is that he is old, but I feel like he would still beat almost every other person in 1on1 combat.
    I think Jamie (who at that point is considered to be one of the best living swordsmen) mentions that he wouldn't bet on winning against Ser Barristan, despite his old age.
    IIRC when he quits Joffrey's guys who are supposed to stop him (all expert Swordsmen) all either refuse fighting him or get killed trying. I think in the TV show he even mocks them saying none of them is able to stop him.

NIGHTBRINGER and Hyperborean like this.
  7. Hyperborean
    Ripperdactil

It’s why I am so glad Barristan is still alive in the books he really is that awesome. He might be old but he didn’t let himself go soft.

Jaime pre hand loss though probably would have given him a solid run for his money

NIGHTBRINGER and Aginor like this.
  8. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Then whoever the guy is that takes over for drogo in the "interesting dothrakii character that daynerys likes" category

9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I think while Jaime is a good warrior, he was a bit overrated. I think Drogo or Brienne would take him, even when he did have his hand. Oberyn Martell is also a good combatant, for all intents and purposes he had the Mountain beat. It was his overconfidence that resulted in his death.

I still think Khal Drogo is the front runner. He is said never to have lost (and unlike stories of other characters, his uncut hair is evidence that the stories around him are actually true). We see him in only a single fight, but he is absolutely toying with his opponent and beats him with ease after purposely discarding his own weapon. His only downside is a lack of armour, but it appears that he has the skills to make up for it. Sadly, he is taken down by women.

10. Hyperborean
    Ripperdactil

That over ratedness is what really contributes to his character, especially when he loses his hand because he is beginning to realize a knight isn't all that is made out to be. He starts to have that revelation a bit prior but the hand loss is a real solidification for him. Brienne is an exceptional warrior herself.

Khal Drogo, yes is possibly the most successful out of all of them fight wise.

In the long run though I don't blame Mirri she saw a chance at vengeance at took it. Additionally though if Drogo had made sure the wound stayed clean he possibly would have survived. SO it was a mixture of Mirri's own vengeance and Drogo's dang pride (at least in the book, its been a long time since I've watched the show)

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

His story arc and realization is a very intriguing. While he is a skilled warrior, I don't think he would make my top 5.

Lest we not forget Daenerys, if not for her, Drogo would never have sought the aid of Mirri. If he had kept the wound clean the odds are very much in the favour of his survival. I'm sure the Dothraki must have some sort of healer, however limited. That wound seems pretty superficial, if the Dothraki were not able to survive such a minor injury they would have died out pretty quick.

12. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

What was the wound caused by, again?

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

14. Hyperborean
    Ripperdactil

In the book it was incredibly severe like a massive flap of skin was hanging off of him and a literally flapping in the breeze. He kept removing bandages. So even if he had let it heal on his own without a poultice he was running the risk of infection.

Wanted to add to the Jaime bit he is a very compelling character and I think he will survive the game or at least go a hero’s death. One theory I have run across is he is the younger brother from Cersei’s prophecy that will kill her.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That explains our different viewpoints. I was considering it from the perspective of the TV series where the wound is very superficial.

Interesting!

He was a great character... it would have been interesting to see him in his prime. As it stands, I don't think he would be fast enough or strong enough to hang with the best of the best. Still, he can't be fully discounted.

16. Hyperborean
    Ripperdactil

Oh yeah his wound was a wide open one in the book, on his chest. Mirri did intend to heal Drogo but Drogo did not want to listen to her so he picked at the bandages and let dirt get inside the wound. Mirri did not betray Daenerys and Drogo until the blood magic part, since he was already on the brink of death from literal blood poisoning.

Some of the perspective points between the two are pretty massive. Its why I put up with the dry bits of the books since they do end up containing important stuff.

Like Cersei heard a prophecy when she went to a witch as a child (Maggie the Frog) who said she would have three children and her husband would have 16 (?) I believe. And she would be queen until a queen younger and more beautiful than herself came, she would see her children die, taste ashes in her mouth and the valonquar (Valyrian for younger brother) will wrap his hands around your throat.

Daenerys also has a massive intensive prophecy involving "the Prince that was Promised" but Aemon Targaryen, Maester Aemon from the wall, says they were a fool to believe it was Prince since dragons are both male and female (according to Westerosi lore dragons could change sex to lay eggs sorta like how some fish change) since fire has no set path

I would also like to add Jorah would be a challenge due to the fact he has been fighting and going through most of Westeros and Essos. He is also a tourney winner and adaptable to boot!

Aginor and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

You're right, that is completely different from the show. In the show, it doesn't really make much sense why Drogo would trust Mirri, other than Daenerys convincing him to do so. The book seems to back him into a corner a little bit more.

Her come uppings are on the way. She has so many enemies, but the Jamie angle you proposed is intriguing.

Jorah is a great warrior but I really don't see him beating the likes of Drogo, Brienne, Oberyn, The Hound, Barristan Selmy, etc. Jorah is very scrappy, but he doesn't seem to have the higher level skills that the others possess.

18. Hyperborean
    Ripperdactil

He really was honestly. He kept refusing healing. But that's who Khal Drogo was he did see himself as unconquerable and if he had survived, would have been.

Jaime is becoming free of Cersei's influence, he's realizing exactly how toxic his relationship with her truly truly is. ON the same note I find Cersei an incredibly interesting character. She is literally the worst but is very well written overall.

Jorah is your barfighter, you want him at your back. He's amore trustworthy version of Bronn

Below is actual image of me talking about ASOIAF to people in person

[​IMG]

19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That sounds about right for a guy... "nah... I don't need to see a doctor!"

Agreed. She is an intriguing character. Other than her love for her kids, she has like no redeeming qualities.

This is known. But Bronn is a heck of a lot funnier!

This took me much longer to figure out than I care to admit. :oops: (A Song of Ice and Fire)

Aginor likes this.
  20. Hyperborean
    Ripperdactil

I pray every dude in this forum does not ignore severe injuries...so I think that is well over half the forum.

Don't pick your booboos dudes!

I would drink with Bronn! But thinking back to best fighter it definitely depends also on environment. I know we were talking one on one earlier but with Westeros and Essos there is only so many places for pitched battle. (And honestly, I think if the Red Wedding hadn't happened, there was evidence at least in the book someone let me know if there was in the show that something similar to it was going to happen regardless, I know in the show Jeyne Westerling a lady who married Robb was a noble woman of westeros but was replaced with Talisa, Robb Stark while not necessarily the best fighter was an excellent strategist)

Is all good! GoT and ASOIAF is almost interchangable at this point