1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: What are the odds of GW re-releasing the Tomb Kings?

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, May 7, 2017.

?

Do you think that GW will ever re-release the Tomb Kings?

1. Yes - within a year or so

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. Yes - within a couple of years time

12 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Yes - but not for a very long time

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
  4. No

23 vote(s)
    47.9%
  1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Yes the TK were once a living race. Nagash wiped them out. Now Nehekara is the land of the undead... but in certain cities I believe that living humans are allowed to coexist among the TK undead. I could be wrong though.

Captaniser likes this.
  2. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Nagash didn't wipe them out per se, but he betrayed them and cursed them to exist as Undead after they died and to never die in peace. I can't imagine additional humans still living in the Tomb Cities after so many hundreads and thousands of years - they would have all died and then popped up as Undead.

Captaniser likes this.
  3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

He did indeed wipe them out and he did so through several methods. Firstly he had the Great Vitae River poisoned (hence forth being known as the Mortis River), which killed off a huge percentage of the population as they succumbed to the effects of the consequent plagues. Next, he marched his armies over the weakened survivors to reclaim Khemri. Lastly he unleashed his most devastating spell, the Great Ritual:
    "As his spell reached its crescendo, a great wave of power surged from the sorcerer's body, washing over the lands of Nehekhara and stealing the life from everything in its path. Crops shriveled and animals perished within seconds. The last people of Nehekhara fell to the ground, their skin withering as if they had aged a century in a blink of any eye. Within minutes, there was no a single living creature in the entirety of Nehekhara." [page 15 of the Tomb Kings 8th edition book].

Of course The Great Ritual is also the spell that cursed Nehekhara to undeath. It is because of this spell that all the inhabitants of Nehekhara rose from their tombs/graves and became effectively the army that we know and love today.

Captaniser and Crowsfoot like this.
  4. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Well, evidently he did wipe them out then (I don't have any Tomb Kings army book of any description, that's why I don't know :p)

I just have copies of these legendary tomes:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Captaniser and Aginor like this.
  5. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Sounds like the makings of a great film, where is Speilberg!

NIGHTBRINGER, Captaniser and Aginor like this.
  6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Those are some great tomes. But in regards to this topic, you just can't beat this lovely book:
    [​IMG]

7. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

good news for @NIGHTBRINGER ... :(

link to updated compendiums

Tomb Kings got super nerfed. No more named heroes and all skeleton units lost DEATHRATTLE keyword
    Tomb Kings lose deathrattle synergy AND their summoning & healing spells AND suffer huge points increases, and none of their bad stuff got any better.
    The sphinx ' ability to "halve the wounds" is now ridiculous. SSC must wound to inflict the penalty to bravery.

TK are outdated and totally useless...

to say "sure, compendium armies will always be playable", is just an insulting joke.

Aginor, NIGHTBRINGER and Captaniser like this.
  8. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

Captaniser Well-Known Member

Holy moly, that's insane. Looks like GW really want's too pull the pluck on the TK.

Guess @NIGHTBRINGER got what he wanted...

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  9. Killer Angel
    Slann

more or less, all the discontinued models suffered.

The Von Carstein family is totally gone.
    Kraggi (dwarfs) went to 20 pts to 70.
    Teclis is no more.

and so on...

Captaniser likes this.
  10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

This is truly good news (for me, condolences to the AoS TK players out there).

How much of a points increase did they see?

It will be interesting to see how the Ebay market reacts.

That's how I feel about Ao.... never mind. :angelic:

Jorgik and Aginor like this.
  11. Killer Angel
    Slann

some notable examples:

old Royal warsphinx: 340 pt, halve the wonds taken, can be cured
    new: 440 pts, doesn't halve wounds, cannot be cured

old Catapult: 120 pts, gives -2 to bravery to targetted unit
    new: 160 pts, gives -2 to bravery only if wonds successfully

old Necroknights: 160 pts, can be raised with spell
    new: 240 pts, cannot be raised by spell

old warriors: 80 pts
    new: 80 pts... but they won't receive the discount for horde formation, that are now available for all hordes.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  12. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Yeah they pretty much killed them.

So while they weren't technically lying when they said "we will make sure you can continue to play all your models" the omitted the part of the sentence that said "They will suck though, so you won't want to".

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  13. Killer Angel
    Slann

The sad part is that they are also killing Death faction.

Just look at battletomes.

Order: Seraphon, SCE, Sylvaneth, fyreslayers, kharadron...

Chaos: Skavem, Khorne, Tzeentch, now Nurgle..

Destruction: Beastclaw, onespliterz, Ironjawz.

Death? Flesh eater. ONE battletome. Profile pages for Death? 2. For Chaos and Order? 6 each.

Instead of fixing it, they just removed the keyword Deathrattle, which was the most logical new battletome for Death, so all possible synergies are gone.
    Death now gor FEC (solid), Nighhaunt (5 models) and Soulblight (7 models). Wich cannot ally with Deathlord.
    The "Grand Allegiance Death" is now "Flesh eater court with Mounrgul".

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That seems like an EXTREME nerf. Unless they were virtually unstoppable prior to the update,that seems army breaking. Were they among the strongest armies prior to the update?

Wow... that seems particularly despicable on GW's part.

I'm sure that was the plan all along. Somewhere on this forum, at the onset of AoS, I predicted this very same thing (not specifically to the TK mind you, just in general in regards to legacy armies). Legacy armies make them no money at all, they want you to buy more Stormcast and the like.

Just out of curiosity, and seeing as they are a legacy army as well, how did Bretonnia fare?

Killer Angel likes this.
  15. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

I heard they were pretty damn strong, but not unstoppable. And yes, TK were one of the higher tier armies.

It's GW, they might have a new CEO, but at the end of the day, they still are GW.

I had that theory too, that they were going to kill of the legacy armies, they generated no income so they were pretty much useless to GW.

Bretonnia was pretty useless beforehand, and is still utterly useless.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  16. Killer Angel
    Slann

Sure, it was logical and I understand it. That was my prediction as well... but not in this way.
    What i don't like it's the lack of honesty.

One year ago they could have said: "the discontinued armies will be playable up 'til the GHB II, from that point on they will be illegal in tournaments".
    It hurts, but it would be a honest position.

But if you say "don't worry, old armies will be ok", you should have the decency to keep your word, to the spirit of it and not only to the letter.

GW have the power to do what they want... to lie about it is just bad behavior. Unprofessional, if you ask me.

Now, if I buy models from Ebay, should i feel bad because I'm not supporting GW? (insert a bitter, sarcastic smile)

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

GW is a business and as such they only care about the :greedy::greedy::greedy:. If they had said from the onset that legacy armies would soon be eliminated from the game, then they would have lost a larger percentage of their customer base. I'm sure their hope was to string people along and get them invested in AoS. Some people may still leave, but many have become AoS diehards and will simply move onto a different army.

I agree with you that it is dishonest, but it was probably (financially speaking) a prudent move. For me this is no surprise at all... I saw this coming from a mile away. I still feel bad for those that were duped by GW yet again.

18. Killer Angel
    Slann

The only thing good for TK is that (thanks to GW and its urge to remove all the named characters and replace them with generic ones that keep the same abilities), now all of the previously named characters can take the Death command traits and artefacts, so we can buff Settra.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

@Killer Angel Someone may have picked up a complete Tomb Kings army. :wideyed: For the time being, I won't say who.

Details to follow. :)

20. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

dwa.jpg

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.