1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: What do you think about the new Age of Sigmar models?

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Jun 28, 2015.

?

What do you think about the new Age of Sigmar models?

1. AMAZING - I can't wait to buy them!

2. Pretty Good - I'll probably pick up a box

3. Okay - They're not bad, but nothing special

4. Unsure - I need to see better pictures to make a judgement

5. Pretty Bad - I wouldn't buy them

6. HORRIBLE - How could my precious Warhammer devolve to this?!?

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

With the leak of the new AoS models, I thought I'd take the opportunity to gauge everyone's reaction to it.

aos1.jpg aos2.jpg aosc.jpg

Vote, discuss, celebrate, vent...

2. LawGnome
    Chameleon Skink

LawGnome Active Member

I don't like space marines.

I don't like chaos models in general.

As such, these models really don't offer me much. This is entirely personal preference, of course.

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Not even Sigmarines? ;)

4. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

I've gone with pretty bad, although the models themselves aren't badly sculpted, they lack any kind of appeal (at least to me), but hey, opinions and all that.

I think part of this stems from the fact there's nothing defining about them, nothing "new", "edgy", "different", "stand alone" and numerous other similar adjectives. They simply look like a variation of minis, factions and table top variants that already exist, there's nothing to set them apart.

When you add into this the roller coaster of hopes, dreams, fear, anger, joy and overall cocktail of emotions that was the end of times acting as their build up, I think this only compounds the lacklustre appeal I see in them.

Gogery, jevan, borkbork and 4 others like this.
  5. Haemoglobin
    Ripperdactil

Haemoglobin 9th Age Army Support

Gotta agree with Rikard. The models themselves don't look bad, they just miss that vibe that makes them "Warhammer Fantasy". It's basically just a 40K model to me.

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That is how I feel about them as well.

Scalenex and borkbork like this.
  7. laribold
    Cold One

laribold Active Member

It's just the staggering lack of imagination that probably annoys me more than anything.

The sigmarites aren't my cup of tea at all and yes you can break their armour down and explain most of it away as inspired by ancient/classical/medieval armour but it really does look very space mariney.

You've just destroyed the world and have the opportunity to do ANYTHING you like and all you do is copy (an admittedly very high selling) design and port it across from a different game?
    It just smacks of the same lack of effort/interest as the joint Elven armies from ET Khaine.
    From a creative perspective it just seems like such a wasted opportunity (I'm not talking here about whether it's a good business decision or not)

Scalenex and Caprasauridae like this.
  8. novatomato
    Razordon

novatomato Member

the more I look at them the more I want to forcefully evict my morning repast. Really, really, really do not like the new aesthetics. A completely personal taste but to me they are much to "OMG SOOOO EPIC!!!" in the design. Very World of Warcraft.
    Not my cup of tea.

9. Hyperborean
    Ripperdactil

Hyperborean Well-Known Member

They look good but seriously I am only here for the mount.

As someone mentioned in the Age of Sigmar rumor post, the legs better not be fused to the damn mount!

10. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

I think one of the things that's REALLY bugging me are those angels.

Not the best picture I could find, but look at the angels and their armour from darksiders.
    Am I the only one who finds this sort of similarity to be well (for want of a better word), cheap, especially when this comes from a company who have been rather infamous when it comes to handing out cease and desist orders?
    [​IMG]

And the angels from Diablo 3.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That's a good point. From what I can see from the pictures, they do look remarkably similar. GW is extremely proactive in defending their IP, but they're quick to "borrow" from others.

12. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Exactly, even if I was excited about these models, this sort of move on their part is low, being inspired is a good thing and something we should all use, but there's a stark difference from taking that inspiration into new territories and ripping someone else's artwork.

Yeah, I'm sure I must look like a massive hypocrite considering my avatar and I make no excuses for that, but considering how my versions of things like Saurus, Kroxigor, salamanders and razordons turn out compared to the original, I like to think I've at least tried to branch off a little.

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Well, maybe this will open the door for other companies to rip off more of GW's stuff. Maybe someone will swoop in and give us a 9th edition that flows directly out of 8th. Unlikely I know, but a lizard can dream can't he?

I think the models you sculpt are very different from GW's. They are the same only in the sense that they're both "Lizard-men". In my mind, your models have a distinct T-rex feel to them (and who doesn't love a T-rex? :)), while GW's does not.

Rikard and Scalenex like this.
  14. neoanomally
    Skink

neoanomally Member

I will be waiting before I pass judgement, but if everything looks good when the box set is revealed, I will probably pick it up. I just hope that there are Lizardmen.

15. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

I like space marines, they look like Star Wars Stormtroopers. :smuggrin:

That was me. But they do have :droid: SpaceMarine-itis. Was not trying to say otherwise. I think it is the "purity seals, pointless tabards and cloaky bits" PLUS the huge redonkulous shoulder pads AND the way all myriad elements were mixed together.

I wonder who that was. :angelic:

None of the poll options really reflected my thoughts on the models that have been seen so far. My opinion is more this:
    • They are not AMAZING; I probably will not pick up a box;
    • But they're not BAD, apart from the Chaos models; I would not want to buy those: those are everything I detest about the style Chaos models have been trending toward for years;
    • Warhammer has devolved a great deal prior to the current 8th edition;
    • I don't need better pictures to make this judgement.

16. little-myth
    Carnasaur

little-myth Well-Known Member

Well, they don't have that original vibe, feels like a copy and paste with a few tweaks.... Yeah Sanguinary Guards below.

99120101121_BASanguinaryGuard01.jpg

17. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

@little-myth Do Sanguinary Guards have jet packs and decorative wings? (those are a flavor of SMarine I was not familiar with.)

18. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

They sure do

19. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I was in GW Manchester at the weekend and got talking to one of the guys and we got onto Lizardmen and he said they had been working on a new window display and were told to include every faction, I asked including Lizardmen, answer "yep there not getting killed off".

Now he could be guessing or he could know something.

Guess we will find out soon enough.

neoanomally likes this.
  20. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

They are not Lizardmen so to me they are not interesting.
    It's not like the models are terrible, but they do not have much appeal to me, as I personally do not quite like how bulky they are with that overdimensioned armor.

NIGHTBRINGER and Iskander like this.