1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Predatory Fighter in Supporting Ranks - Please Read!

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by GhostWarrior, Jun 13, 2014.

1. GhostWarrior
    Cold One

GhostWarrior Member

In an effort to help improve constructive discussion on this forum regarding tactics, army lists, and just general Lizardy-goodness, I have created a post to help clarify the biggest question every Lizardman player asks, namely:

Does Predatory Fighter (PF) work for models attacking from supporting ranks?

The truest answer is: It depends on where you play.

At the Garage Level - it's something for you and your opponent/buddies to decide.

At the Local Game Store and Club Level - It's up for your Club/Game Store to decide.

At the Tournament Level - It's up to each Tournament Organizer and/or Rules Committee to decide.

Arguments

There are those who would argue that a literal reading of the BRB means that you cannot gain PF Attacks in supporting ranks, beyond what can normally be achieved (1 for most unit types, 3 for Monstrous Infantry/Cavalry types).

There are also those who would argue that a literal reading of the BRB (and the fact that Army Book trumps rulebook) means that PF attacks in supporting ranks are allowed.

There are also those who argue that Games Workshop meant to allow PF to work in supporting ranks, but in the way they worded the rule, have not allowed it to work.

Now, having said that, I would like to qualify these statements as clearly as possible to help reduce confusion. This is in no way meant to give any personal opinion on where I feel the decision should fall. Here are some links that have covered this debate in various levels of detail:

Lizardmen 8th Ed. FAQ http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/lizardmen-8th-ed-faq.13582/

Advanced Rules vs. Basic Rules(Predatory Fighter) http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/advanced-rules-vs-basic-rules-predatory-fighter.14261/

The Path to Awesome - Tracking Every Game Ever http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/the-path-to-awesome-tracking-every-game-ever.13333/

The question has come up in many more threads then this, and the result is the same - there are people in both camps, and the argument is circular.

The truth is this - if you want this rule to work for supporting attacks (and you have no local ruling on the matter), you will need to discuss it with each opponent before each game. You will also need to be prepared for that to mean that it is played either way.

I would like to suggest that our community move on from this topic, to focus more on developing lists and strategies towards continued Lizard success. I understand that the uncertainty on this topic leads to tweaks in the value of these discussions. I suggest people read how that value changes based on application in their local environment (where PF may or may not be allowed from supporters).

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Happy gaming!

-GhostWarrior - Lead writer of the 2014 USA Masters FAQ

2. SilverFaith
    Terradon

SilverFaith Member

To be perfectly honest, I think it is pretty silly that it is as hotly contested as it is.

PF means very little in terms of additional attack in the first place, and the impact of whether or not PF works in supporting ranks or not, is very small.

My local group allows it, because of this fact - the impact is so little, you might as well just allow it to work, so you don't bog down the game with unnecessary additional dice rolls.

I would understand the issue if it had a large impact on the game, but it doesn't.