1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Products for paint stripping available in UK?

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Ritual, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I've seen people recommend using Dettol to strip models with, but I don't currently have anywhere I can do that as it bloody stinks the place out.

Any ideas for other products that are easily available in the UK I could use... I have about 60 ish models, including 2 tanks I need to strip... Some metal, some plastic.

Any ideas appreciated!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I use Cutex Acetone free nail varnish remover, it stinks and it will take a few bottles to strip 60 models but it is really safe for the plastic models, for your metal models any paint stripper will do.

If you use Cutex get an old plastic food tray you can get around 10ish normal models in it easily remove the base as this stops models siting flush then just stick the lid on and leave somewhere safe overnight, to clean them up warm soapy water and an old toothbrush or if you have this a suede brush one with wire bristles.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Cutex-A...354009?hash=item3add53b619:g:1~kAAOSw32lYzvsn

Ritual likes this.
  3. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

Excellent, I'll give that stuff a go!

No idea how I'm going to soak these tanks, they're huge.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  4. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Plastic freezer bags put some Cutex in then seal the bag shake up now and again.

Ritual likes this.
  5. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

Gotta be worth a shot!!!

I am tempted to strip it all, use what I am going to use for my diorama for the painting competition and either sell the rest unpainted, or paint it up nicely and try and sell it that way. Not sure which would have more success.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  6. Crowsfoot
    Slann

I found you don't get enough money for the effort so I tend to paint and sell to just make enough to buy minis, e.g I bought a SC skeleton horde built Arkhan the black painted him (in my blog) and sold him for £85 so I got the SC for nothing minus Arkhan and made £35 for my time painting which was around 20hrs so not much.

I don't do it often but the big models like that tend to sell and always to China or the US.

Qupakoco and Ritual like this.
  7. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

Very interesting... Never considered selling painted models before, the thought just occurred to me. They might be worth something stripped, I have no idea about 40k stuff to even identify half the things, and most of them are bashed up. Would be good conversion fodder though.

8. Nefertem
    Temple Guard

Nefertem Well-Known Member

You could also try Isopropanole, aka 2-propanole. It isn't toxic (nevertheless Ethanole tastes a lot better) and is used as antiseptic (or paint cleaner). You can get it for cheap. Nevertheless models need some toothbrush treatment after staying in a isoprop-bath...And it smells so good....

Bowser, Qupakoco and Ritual like this.
  9. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

You might try Simple Green or Crystal Green. I've used a similar product in the US and had pretty good results. Let the minis sit in the solution for a couple days and the paint just rubs right off.

Bowser and Qupakoco like this.
  10. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

We don't get either here without paying 300% shipping costs sadly.

Bowser likes this.
  11. Padre
    Stegadon

Padre Well-Known Member

After some quick online research, apparently "fairy power spray" has the same active ingredient. Beyond that, I can't help. I can give a lot of advice for the US, but not much elsewhere.

Bowser likes this.
  12. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

I also read that, it's not too pricey either so might be worth a shot. I'll give it a shot and report back.

Bowser likes this.