1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progress on my converted Cold Ones ^.^ (lots o pics)

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by CaptainKirk, Feb 13, 2013.

1. CaptainKirk
    Saurus

CaptainKirk New Member

I don't like I should be resurrecting an old thread on an account that I can't get in to so I figured I'll just start one with the pictures of my progress through the work :) So here you go!

This is a picture of the Cold Ones after I had trimmed the body down and with some of the green stuff work done

002.jpg

and from there I added the heads after 'lengthening' the necks about 1 1/2 centimeters so the body wasn't too big for the head

DSC_0948.jpg

then I threw down the basecoat in a much darker (and uglier) blue

DSC_0965.jpg

and then I went to work on the Cold Ones :)

141.jpg

and now, after putting this off for about two and a half years (long time, I know.... :rolleyes: ) this is where I am as of last night!

P1020211_zpsb28ad915.jpg

P1020209_zpsab0a6e26.jpg

Now, my painting skills aren't all that great as I don't give myself a lot of practice :( Hence, why it took me more than two years just to get this far :p But let me know what you think! Its been fun making these guys, my only problem with them is that they don't rank up in a second or third rank too well.. Luckily I only have five so far :p

2. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Pupils!! They need pupils. Or at least colored eyeballs. Looks great though! The beefed out bodies and longer necks make the Saurus look natural on them. Well done.

3. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

That unit is brilliant, lots of character. The cold ones themselves are really well painted, but I really love the extra details like the vines you've added. Keep at it !

4. CaptainKirk
    Saurus

CaptainKirk New Member

thanks guys. Yeah, I definitely need to finish the eyes on the cold ones but I'm just trying to get the arms on these guys :(

I always liked the idea of giving my cold ones lots of vines and banners to make them look more exciting :) Hopefully it will all look good when I'm done!

5. CaptainKirk
    Saurus

CaptainKirk New Member

Well, here are some more WIP shots of them. Because it took me so long to work on this project one of my paints went bad so I can't finish the riders but I've gotten almost everything else done.

P1020225_zps77045ad1.jpg

P1020223_zpsa872f9bb.jpg

and then here are a few shots of my more favorite bits of work that I did on these guys:

P1020227_zps751cc3a4.jpg

P1020228_zps2c3d4d2d.jpg

P1020229_zpscda82c2f.jpg

The pictures do me more justice than what they look like IRL. The gems for example.. They don't look good at all but the semi-fuzziness of the photos makes them look pretty good. It WAS my first time painting gems though so I'm still happy with the way they turned out.. Anyways, ENJOY!! :smug:

6. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

Sick a** cold ones!

7. gewaltatron
    Saurus

gewaltatron New Member

Nice work. I am going to do myself a oldblood on a cold one in the same way when I find the time.

any specific recipe how you sculpted the scales on that cold ones?

8. CaptainKirk
    Saurus

CaptainKirk New Member

@favored: thanks :) I put a lot of time into these guys (especially since I don't have too much experience with painting OR green stuff!) so I'm happy with how they are turning out :D

@gewaltatron: I used a simple hobby knife and lots of water to keep the green stuff from sticking too much. Don't let the putty sit too long before you start cutting the scales. I just used the backside of the blade and 'pressed' it in where I wanted the lines. To get a better feel of it, take your hobby knife (or whatever you are going to use) and try and trace the lines of the actual model's scales. It helped a lot getting the 'feeling' for what I was doing. And try and keep with the models form: big scales up higher on the back, and smaller scales the lower you get.

Now, after having done five models and a couple other small projects I have a much better idea of how I can improve them.. Luckily, I have five more DE cold ones that I get to fool around with so hopefully the next batch will be much better :smug:

edit: and after you have cut the scales in, a lot of them will be rounded or 'bubbled up' because of the putty being so soft. You can use the but of this kind of tool to make them flat (something I wish I would have done the first time #facepalm)

that small tool on the tail is perfect for smoothing out the small scales!

9. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

The longer necks are a vast improvement!

10. SteelSnail
    Jungle Swarm

SteelSnail New Member

They look very cool (no pun intended).
    Thanks for sharing.