1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Psychadelic Scaly's by Possum

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by PossumCraft, Jul 13, 2012.

1. PossumCraft
    Skink

PossumCraft New Member

Rawr.

So, a few months back I set out with the aim of building an imperial guard army, and was determined to stick to it.

The intermediary steps are kind of vague. I'm fairly sure something went amiss along the way, but I don't know what.

Still, without further ado, Lizards!

saurusbanner.jpg

And that's a Saurus (obviously). He's the banner bearer of my horde of 40 Saurus with spears, of which 14 are already painted.

saurusunit.jpg

It's probably apparent at this point that my aim is to blind my opponent and have them be too busy tripping out to beat me.

Next up is a test scheme for a Temple Guard.

61397285.jpg
    tg1c.jpg

I'm still in two minds about this. It's not psychadelic enough for my liking. I was thinking of trying a bright red fading to pink and orange. You know, like those guady shirts they wear in Hawaii.

I also have a half dozen skinky's painted...

painted_skink_lizardmen_warhammer.jpg
    ...thuswise. My plan is to have each batch of ten-ish skinks be a different colour. I'd like to claim there is some logical reason for this, but really it's just that I get easily bored.

A jungle swarm is nearly done, too:

jungle_swarm_painted_lizardmen.jpg

Just needs some mossy crap on the rocks.

That pretty much sums up what's finished.

I have a Tehenhuain who's all but done, so he'll be up soon.
    Also got a couple of Mournfang's who are gonna become stegadons, a thundertusk that'll be a Slann riding an ancient steggy and a couple of Arachnaroks that are gonna have skinks put all over them. Just because.

Okay one more. This is my current Lord fellow, which counts as whats his face on a Carnosaur.

frontpage.png

Feedback, thoughts, suggestions and criticisms are much appreciated ^.^

Bracnos likes this.
  2. Didymus
    Chameleon Skink

Didymus Active Member

3. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Wow these are crazy and fantastic! I love the saurus and the oldblood on the carnousar is so great. He looks like the predetor. Looking forward to se more!

4. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Wow I think these are the most original paint schemes I have ever seen, :jawdrop:
    and some amazing conversions as well. :smug:

5. Little Wolf
    Saurus

Little Wolf New Member

Your temple guard seem so normal compared to the rest of them :p. They're awesome, I love them! Must be a lot of work though... :)

6. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Great work! What did you use for your bases? They seem very natural. Looks like slate.

7. PossumCraft
    Skink

PossumCraft New Member

Sneaky trick actually. It's all Sculpey oven-bake clay.

To make the realistic rocks, bake off a random shape of sculpey (I use the mishappen parts that didnt work for what they should have) then, once they're cooled, get a knife. Stick the tip in and twist while pushing down, and it splits the clay along very rocky looking lines. Be careful, though, easy to slip with a knife.

8. Arli
    Skink Priest

I have a ton of sculpy laying around. I may try that. Good work.

9. E_Ran358
    Skink

E_Ran358 New Member

Those Saurus Warriors are insane!

10. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

I'd like to lick some of your warriors... I'm sure you have been licking some similar coloured frogs around your area. Great job on transferring those hallucinations onto the models! I'm eagerly waiting for your next trip...

11. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Those saurus... WOW! You've pulled it off so well. I freaking love it! Ditto for your carnosaur and rider (although I'm not sure his weapon is to my taste).

All these pictures have now been saved to my 'Awesomely Inspirational armies' folder.

The skink priest and temple guard are also really well done. Lots of good blending, beautiful attention to detail. I really like the way you did the ivory on the TG's tail. I may even steal some ideas for my next skink priest.

12. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

Amazing work. Having seen your Carnisour, your future projects sound just as amazing. Can't wait to see those. I love the idea of your skittle skinks. I have a friend that painted a unit of zombies the same way for the same reason. Couldn't sit down and paint zombies all brown and drab green for about 0 points each. haha

Though I must say, I too find your temple guard too bland. They look good don't get me wrong, but they are just old saurus with fading skin tone. With your lord still being a bright color, it doesn't make sense to me that the TG are so dull in comparison.
    Also funny because if someone would show me the TG on it's own without the lord and warriors that go with it, i would say the TG is unusually colorful.

13. PossumCraft
    Skink

PossumCraft New Member

Rawr!

Thanks for all the feedback and comments :D I appreciate it. It's nice to know the drug-trip paint scheme meets with approval. I spent a week painting the carnosaur with my fiance calling it the 'mincy mincy monster' because of the bright colours -.-' less than encouraging.

So! To start with, a few more shots of said carnosaur:

saurus_carnosaur_conversion1.jpg
    saurus_carnosaur_conversion2.jpg
    saurus_carnosaur_conversion3.jpg

I'm quite impressed (if I say so myself) with the final outcome, as this one was done in a really short time. I swung by the local GW on wednesday and got told there was a painting comp a week on saturday. At that point the conversion was about 50% done so... didn't really expect to finish but figured I'd try.

Anyhoo, a week and a half later and I had finished (and was just waiting for the swirling after-images to fade from my eyes...) and I took him down to the store. There they told me I'd been given the wrong info and it was a unit of infantry not a commander for the comp! :O

Still. I got a trippy commander out of the whole debacle so no complaints (and I can almost see properly again now!)

On to the new stuff:

The feedback on the Temple Guard has kind of confirmed what I was thinking: too boring.

Round two:

tg3.jpg
    tg2.jpg

Quite like the lary red, though I'm not convinced its quite colourful enough. Might need to fade to something bright toward the belly.

Maybe shade it into a bright goldy-yellow with black spots.

The other idea was to paint the inlay on the armour panels in an offensively bright green.

Thoughts?

Bracnos likes this.
  14. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Maybe some teal and black swirls on the shields would help spice them up?

and maybe some yellow bellies as well?

15. PossumCraft
    Skink

PossumCraft New Member

Hows about:

tg6.jpg

tg4.jpg
    tg5.jpg

Quite like this one. Kind of... sunset-tiger-hawaian shirt.

I like the idea of teal and black shields... I'm going to investigate that :D thanks!

Bracnos likes this.
  16. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

Definitely the last one, the temple guard shouldn't look any less bad ass than the saurus, after all they have higher ranks ;)

Your imagination and free hand skills are inspiring, but doesn't painting a whole unit like that way get tiresome pretty quick?

Anyway great job on these ones!

17. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

I'm a fan of the blue and purple one as well as the other.

18. Arli
    Skink Priest

I noticed that you painted the where the arm attaches to the body. Do you use super glue to put the arms on, or do you scrape off the paint some and use plastic glue?

19. PossumCraft
    Skink

PossumCraft New Member

I use superglue exclusively nowadays, except for basing. I used to use the poly-cement stuff for plastic but I just got frustrated with how long it took to dry. I am going back about 8 years now, so maybe it's faster nowadays :p

I use loctite stuff called power flex which has a slight 'rubbryness' to it when dry, so things don't immediately snap if they get a bit of tension. It works out more expensive, obviously, but I do quite a lot of painting and conversions on commission, so I have to kinda take my time to account to balance that out. Besides, I'm very impatient and hate waiting!

20. PossumCraft
    Skink

PossumCraft New Member

I've been playing around with a mournfang today while waiting for various gnarly smelling substances to dry on an unrelated project (oddly enough, the imperial guard that these lizards were meant to be...)

So, a mock up of the general layout of a Mournfang Stegamadon:
    mournfang_stegadon_conversion1.jpg
    mournfang_stegadon_conversion2.jpg
    mournfang_stegadon_conversion3.jpg

The intention is to have a skinky on each of the lower side platforms in warmblood-javelin-pose and an interchangeable chap at the back - a skink or a skink chief/priest that can be switched out. I'm also planning to magnetise the bow and have mounting points for the blowpipes so it can be a steglet or ancient steglet, depending how many warmbloods need turning into jam.

I'm in two minds about the bald spots on the mourny. On the one hand I could paint them to look like shaved skin and have some lizard-glyph warpaint there. On the other, it reminds of an old and incontinent dog I once saw with bald spots cos he had mange. I could add fur over the bald bits instead, though the warpaint would break up the monotony of furness.

Oh, and he will have his tusks added. How else does one shish-kebab helpless humanoids.

Bracnos likes this.