1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Purple Lizardmen

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Tristaco, Jan 16, 2011.

1. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

Thanks Tristaco! i'm well pleased with these guys, esp considering it's my first attempt. I just need to learn how to win with them :D

Good luck with that. I've found the wash technique is extremely easy to do and looks great, yet light enough to see the details etc when you're trying to pick them out after. In my original test batch i did two skinks with a Liche purple skin and found it way too dark for my taste. Does sound like an awesome paint scheme for a Slann though!

2. Slanny*are*tranny
    Cold One

Slanny*are*tranny New Member

thanks i might do my army like this my purple is way to dark
    i wonder how this is gonna look on bigger models

3. Tristaco
    Skink

Tristaco New Member

Well, I did both styles and ended up going a little crazy with the washes on the second one...Replicating the super complicated color I did for the dark one in about five minutes...... Lighter washes for my saurus it is..

Ps: My slann Is going to get a "heroic" And extremely dark purple color scheme giving awesome contrast...By "heroic" I mean spending more than ten minutes on the individual mini..waaay more.

4. Josh Ichimaru
    Cold One

Josh Ichimaru Member

I made some skinks look pretty much the esact same as yours but when i got to my sarus purple shades go form light to dark to fast and i really didnt like the look of it. I'm curious to how your sarus turn out please post some pics when there done! thanks.

5. nightmareius
    Saurus

nightmareius New Member

you guys have inspired me, im about to start collecting some lizardmen and i was think i need somthin different to the plain old blue. you guys have shown me the way and i am goin to try the purple, i will post pics whan i get them (may be a few weeks yet).

thanks heaps,
    nightmareius

6. nightmareius
    Saurus

nightmareius New Member

hey sevensevensare49 with your purple lizardmen did you paint the back scales with a purple or did you just heavily wash coat them.

7. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

hey nightmareius,
    I've done the scales in Liche Purple for the grunts, and black for the braves and chiefs. Then washed it with black, so it darkens up slightly.
    I tried a regal blue on my Oldblood scales, but it just looked wrong.

What colour are you planning on using for the scales?

8. nightmareius
    Saurus

nightmareius New Member

well if i decide on purple i will use a lich purple on the scales, but i am also thinking of green as a possible scheme while using the same technique you have told.

9. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

Cool I've done a Catachan green on my Hunting Party skink scales, comes up pretty well. With my usual black wash to finish should look pretty dark, almost black.

10. nightmareius
    Saurus

nightmareius New Member

so your skinks are heavily washed purple but the rest of your army is washed black at the end right? anyway was wonderin if u could post a picture of a purple saurus so i could have an idea at what one looks like.

11. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

I've really only done my skinks and Salamanders at the moment, the only saurus I've started is my Oldblood, and I didn't like the blue so I moved onto other items for the minute. I'll post a picture of the Oldblood w/blue scales tonight though, and the Skink handlers with their Catachan green scales so you know what yours could look like.

All of my lizards will have the same skin tone though - wash everything twice with the purple, then do the scales in purple or black, then do a black wash to finish the skin off.

12. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

work in progress- Oldblood w/Regal Blue scales. I've done a wash of purple and blue here - fail.
    P1030697.jpg

and the Handlers w/Catachan green. I like these ones.
    P1030694.jpg

13. nightmareius
    Saurus

nightmareius New Member

like the skinks, the saurus looks like the blue of his skin has mixed with the purple, without that the skin would be fine. im thinking of doin the same as you and changing the colour of the scales for either each unit or unit type.

14. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

yeah the Oldblood looks like he has some kind of skin disease haha
    Ironically that one's arm fell off this morning (again) so i'll have to pin it.

15. nightmareius
    Saurus

nightmareius New Member

gt to love metal models lol. ive never pinned before, how does it work, ive heard of it

16. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

17. nightmareius
    Saurus

nightmareius New Member

thanks, ive got alot of metal models from my space marine army which fall to peices with the slightest knock.

18. Josh Ichimaru
    Cold One

Josh Ichimaru Member

I wish I pinned my hive tyrant i was only 12 when i started collecting nids and now thye are completley destroyed after I fill up my lizzy army i eventualy plan to rebuild it with true earth magnet carnifex's ect, theres a guide somwhere on youtube on how to do it on a carnifex you can swap arms whenever you want.

19. nightmareius
    Saurus

nightmareius New Member

yer b ut now the hive tyrants are plastic arnt they, and to team with the theme of this topic, tyranids do look good in purple too lol :astronaut:

20. Tristaco
    Skink

Tristaco New Member

My hive fleet is purple and green. Also hive tyrants are still 90% metal only the weapons arms are plastic.

Also I;m painting my hive fleet for a tourney this sunday. when thats done my lizard men will finally get some work done on them!