1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Putting the "Rock" in Rock, Paper, Scissors - 2K Competitive

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Joshua Horchler, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

Joshua Horchler Well-Known Member

Two things about this list. One is that my meta is pretty diverse. I face a lot of different armies with diverse strengths and weaknesses. So if you are me, you can do two things, try to build a TAC list, which I love and is usually more about being able to adapt to missions than pure power, or you can bring a streamlined, narrowly constructed list with a single purpose. This list is the 2nd option. The 2nd point I want to make, is that Seraphon are really good at making 2++ units. When the GH2 drops, I'm hoping to see some of the popular mortal wound beasts and units nerfed a little by way of a slight point increase. If that does happen, Guard based lists will improve. Rambling completed, here is my rock-hard list (@LordRibbit inspired):

Leaders

Saurus Eternity Warden (140)
    Skink Starpriest (100)
    Skink Priest (100)
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur,(260)
    Skink Starseer (160)
    Battleline
    10 x Saurus Guard (200)
    10 x Saurus Guard (200)
    5 x Saurus Guard (100)
    Units
    5 x Chameleon Skinks (120)
    5 x Chameleon Skinks (120)
    Behemoths
    Dread Saurian (400)
    Battalions
    Eternal Starhost (80)
    Total:1980/2000

Fairly easy to get a 2++ on the Guard and the Dread. Both demand mortal wound attention, and one is a giant model that takes up half the table. My normal combination of Starseer and Priest make another appearance to provide spell support and cheesy re-rolls. This list can be a hard nut to crack. If your opponent, A, lacks mortal wounds or B, doesn't understand the importance of killing our weaker heroes, they might not enjoy the game. If your meta is not about spamming mortal wounds and you want to make a list to stomp, this would be a solid direction. Its flaws are pretty obvious. It lacks a lot of speed, it lacks a lot of long range shooting and it is weaker to mortal wounds. That being said, if you haven't played with a Dread, who has a 2++, has the serpent staff buff, and is blessed by Starlight, you should try it :), just make sure your opponent knows before the game that this is meant more for competitive.

I had to proxy a Dread, a Carnosaur with a cardboard base to represent the size... looked terrible haha. I'm trying to convince myself on pulling the trigger on buying the model.

2. LordRibbit
    Temple Guard

LordRibbit Well-Known Member

So how have you found this list thus far??

Bowser likes this.
  3. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

I played one game with this exact list. It was against a pretty casual player fielding some Khorne Bloodbound. I was able to get the turn 2 double turn and he didn't position his models very well, so it wasn't a very competitive game. I had trouble getting through all his Reavers, but it was a pretty easy win. I haven't played since then and unfortunately won't be able to play for a little bit. I want to play against Stormcast, Beastclaw and Sylvaneth.

That was the first time running a Dread and the Eternity Battalion. I think it's a decent combo. 400 points is a lot for one model, so you have to make it count.

Crowsfoot, LordRibbit and Bowser like this.
  4. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Great defence, great attacking power.

It's a strong all-comers list, however I see other two potential problems:

- high rend armies, especially with range (a dwarfs cannon that shoots with rend -3 is something nasty)
    - Armies resilient to your rend (Death and models that are immune to rend, as Spirit hosts, and start from a save 4+ furtherly powered by their ward save. Or a Mourngul...)

Crowsfoot, Bowser and Joshua Horchler like this.
  5. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Looks like a strong list. @Killer Angel is right, but you should be able to get some good shots in with the chameleons.

Joshua Horchler and Killer Angel like this.
  6. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Absolutely yes, the chama skinks should be ablke to deal with gunners.
    Those precious chama are your ace in the sleeve: use them carefully to maximize their utility, depending on the situation and on what the sensible targets are.

Joshua Horchler and Bowser like this.
  7. Joshua Horchler
    Troglodon

Thanks guys! Yeah I love when I pop up my two Chameleon skinks and get some hot rolling. It feels good when they put in work and then disappear. I love the little bit of cheese that we get :)

Bowser likes this.