1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick Stegadon question

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by SiegeCommander, Jul 13, 2009.

1. SiegeCommander
    Skink

SiegeCommander New Member

Hi I recently started lizardmen, all I have so far is the battalion and a scar vet(on foot). I was looking at purchasing a stegadon kit as my next addition to the army. My question is whether it is possible to easily switch between the different howdah weapons and the EotG? If not could I magnetize the parts to make switching easy? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Hmm yep. I haven't actually taken the giant blow pipes off the sprues yet because I'm not using them, but it would likely be very easy to magnetize them and certainly the giant bow could be easily magnetised. The engine part? Magnet for stability if you want, but really the engine will glue to the throne and that will sit nicely without glue on the howdah. In fact, the two howdah pieces (front and back) will easily stay attached without glue and just click on or off, it is a very well designed kit.

Welcome to the forum! :)

3. SiegeCommander
    Skink

SiegeCommander New Member

Woo I got my steg and it definately looks like it can be easily magnetized :D But now I have another question. What reds do they use in the picture to get that skin tone? Also if I put the skinks on bases would they fit in the carriage thing?

4. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Here's my idea. It's a little more expensive than magnetizing, but it'll save you the trouble of drilling and messing around with magnets.
    Buy extra howdahs from BitzBox (or BItz Barn) and assemble them in each different weapon scheme. Then, it's a simple matter of forgoing the glue when you attach the howdah to the back of the Stegadon. That way, you can easily just pop each one off his back and replace it with another.

5. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Its pretty cramped up on the howdah, bases might take up a bit too much space... Stick the howdahs together (not with weapons or to the steg or anything) and try putting 5 bases on it. You probably could get them on there, but it would be a bit tight.

If you are going to be magnetising anyway, why not add magnets on the floor of the howdah like I'm doing? Then you can drill thin wires into the skink feet and have them attached by magnets to the howdah. It requires a fair bit of time though, as I have found out. :p

I just went to see if the steg painting guide on GW website is still there, but you are out of luck they did a step-by-step on the green steg not the red one.. It looks like mechrite and scab mostly to me, with a fiar bit of highlighting. I'm not great at picking the specific colours though.

6. beardedgecko
    Saurus

beardedgecko New Member

well, the only thing I can recommend is what I do fo my characters incase I want to remove them. I cut the smallest slotted bases in half, and glued them only to half of it