1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Qupakoco's Cohorts (Updated 1/29/2013)

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Qupakoco, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

The beginning of a paint log!

Criticism is more than welcome, as I am by no means a professional painter.

Like the skink in my avatar, my army uses Snot Green and Dark Angels Green as the primary colors with crests of skinks or back spikes of saurus painted a different color to differentiate their spawning.

Here is a unit that I am currently working towards finishing. I painted a test model back in 2005 and haven't looked at them since, so they are my top priority. I'll be finishing up their weapons and shields as well as doing some touch-ups and washing over the rest of this week.

2012-03-13223156.jpg

I really like how the red spikes look. Plus it will make it easy to pick out this unit on the battlefield as I'll be staring at their backs most the time anyway :)

2012-03-13223304.jpg

Here's the Champion. He is in dire need of touch ups, but I'll get his weapon and shield finished first.

2012-03-13223334.jpg

2012-03-13223357.jpg

Looks like I missed his leg bling. I have 10 more saurus to add to this unit, but they aren't primed yet. I like to have 30 available for any unit of saurus, so another box will be needed at some point. Right now they are being filled with 5th edition models, or "slabs" as I like to call them.

Warden likes this.
  2. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

Re: Qupakoco's Cohorts

i like the scheme, but i think they need a bit more contrast. i would either dip them or give them a wash of badab black :)

3. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

I definitely agree. I'm planning on using badab black to finish them off.

Looks my lighting sucks as well. I'll have to figure out something different for that.

4. Anton_S
    Temple Guard

Anton_S Member

A wash of Badab will certainly be good, but they might end up a bit dark. Drybrush some highlights onto them afterwards in that case.

5. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Good idea. I just washed one of them and he did indeed turn out a bit dark. I'll drybrush tomorrow when they are all dry. Thanks for the tip.

6. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Ok, these guys are done with painting. I need to base them yet. I'll put up some pictures this weekend after I figure out a better way to take pictures.

7. Moniker
    Kroxigor

Moniker Member

For my part, I prefer drybrushing first, then washing. I find that it helps blends the layers together while still achieving the contrast.

8. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

love the colour scheme! the red pops out brilliantly. nice one, can't wait to see the photos

9. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Ok, so here is a chunky update on my army progress. Unfortunately I have discovered that it's my camera that makes the pictures a little low in quality. I'll definitely be borrowing a friends camera for the next round of pics.

Saurus!

2012-03-28222834.jpg

Shields are highlighted with the same color as the back spikes of the saurus. Of course they aren't based yet, so once that happens I have a feeling they will stand out a bit more. Definitely going to be a light colored dirt or something.

2012-03-28223213.jpg

Here is the Standard Bearer. I used a flashlight to try to get some more detail in the photo. I glued some rocks onto his base to keep him from falling over.

2012-03-28223413.jpg

SALAMANDER!! My favorite.

2012-03-28223848.jpg

2012-03-28223904.jpg

2012-03-28224003.jpg

I used an old pot of gobbo green for the sally base. Definitely noticeable. I am planning on putting some more stuff on their bases as well.

Here are some cowboys I am working on. I haven't picked a scheme for my Cold Ones yet, but I think the grey with blue looks pretty good so far. They aren't nearly done yet.

2012-03-28224211.jpg

And I also got a new Krox! I've been eyeing him for awhile and he just went on sale for 20% off, so I couldn't pass him up. I am shocked at how much larger these new krox are in comparison to the old 5th edition ones that I still use. Check it out:

2012-03-28224335.jpg

His scheme will be similar to the this guy. Hopefully better paint job though, lol.

2012-03-28224500.jpg

Next up is a bunch of Cold Ones! Like 23 of them. Not that I'll ever use them all in an army, but still. I can't complain. Thanks for reading! Critique is appreciated as always.

Warden and Scalenex like this.
  10. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Small update!

I have a Carnosaur that I painted a long time ago. I decided to do some touch ups on him because he was starting to look worn. I was originally going to repaint him, but I couldn't match the original skin-tone that I gave him. Rather than ruining the orange tone that I had originally created, I decided to let him be. I haven't used him in a battle yet, but I hope to soon.

I also thought He was looking at the ground a little too much, so I put a rock under his feet. I tried to match the rock's color with paint on his feet, but It didn't really work too well. I think he's battle ready though!

IMG_3307.jpg

IMG_3306.jpg

IMG_3305.jpg

IMG_3304.jpg

Does anyone have any advice for making the rock/feet look a little better? I'm thinking dry-brushing with bleached bone or something. I used green stuff to make his feet look like they were actually touching the rock, but the pictures make it look chunky.

11. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

You could glue some flock on top to the rock te represent moss and that would help conceal the metal around his toes (flock between his toes too).

12. tankrothchild
    Skink

tankrothchild New Member

Hey Qupakoco, I stumbled over to your log after you posted in mine, I really like your army, especially that carnosaur, he looks great.

With your carno rock dilemma, I think the rock is fine, but I think the rest of the base could be built up a little around the rock, so the rock looks more like it's embedded in the ground a bit. Right now it looks like it's sitting on a super flat surface. Maybe some sand and some cork board broken up could build it up a little and make it look a little more natural? Other than this, that model looks great, real nice piece of your army, keep up the great work!

And thanks for your advice on my cold one, I'm going to work on him right now.

13. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

My best advice for the rock... use cork instead. It's a very easy material to work with and gives great rock texture.

14. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Thanks for the tips! I have a few corks from wine bottles, so I'll see about making them look rockish.

Got a bunch of saurus finished this weekend. I'll post some more pics tonight.

15. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Saurus!! As said before, different colors are to indicate different spawnings and purposes.

IMG_3317.jpg

IMG_3319.jpg

Spear saurus have blue shields and blue back spikes. The blue doesn't really pop out like the red did, but I think it looks pretty good.

IMG_3314.jpg

IMG_3313.jpg

IMG_3312.jpg

That's it for now. I haven't finished he scar-vets yet, so those guys are next on my list, along with all my cold one riders.

Warden likes this.
  16. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

Great looking army so far. I really like what you've done with the saurus especially in the amount of time you did them in. And, of course, the carnosaur looks awesome as well! Keep up the good work.

17. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Thanks for the kind words, Favored.

Whew, it's been a while since I updated this. I just finished up a unit of Cold One Riders that I'll post pictures of later today. I think they turned out pretty good. Next on my scope is a bunch of Skinks and both of my Stegadons, old style and new style. I'm also going to have to transfer both of my Carnosaur's over to the chariot base at some point, in order to make them more modern.

Lastly, I have a 5th edition Slann that I am in the process of converting to look more modern with a floating palanquin. If anyone else has successfully converted one of the old Slann's, I would surely like to see the results.

Thanks for reading!

18. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

The cavalry has arrived!

20121022_172935.jpg

20121022_172822.jpg

20121022_173133.jpg

In hindsight, I realize that I need a better light at my work station. I see tons of little mistakes that my camera flash picked up. Oh well.

Attached Files:

19. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Hello, I just went through your blog. A really nice unit of cavalry, I like all the small conversion you did, like the Temple Guard head, the musician and especially the standard! But the Carnosaur is so far my favourite, such a menacing look! How is that model coming along? Did you finish it yet?

20. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

ooooo, I do like that colour scheme on those cold ones. Those bad boys are beautiful! The colours on the weapons and standard fit perfectly, and they look brilliant.

The old and new cold ones fit pretty well. You could snip some of the crests off the newer ones, but I think they look fine. The only negative is the basing. What are you going to do with them? It'd be a shame to leave these guys on such plain bases.

Looking forward to the slann conversion.