1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Raeins New Lizarmen army

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Raein, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Raein
    Saurus

Raein New Member

Ok so i'm quite new to painting lizards and this forum. and i have never thought my self a good painter, but i think im getting better slowly so i thought i would post a few images any comments and thoguhts are welcome.

IMG_0011.jpg
    My saraus old blood with out it's base, i still need to take a photo of him on his base, that pic to come.

The base without him on it

Here are some pics of what saraus' i have painted

Banner Lizard

Unit Champion

IMG_0024.jpg
    Musican

IMG_0025.jpg
    Normal Saraus'

Some of those pics might be a bit to dark so i might have to retake them. I have a good idea for basses for the saraus' just need to get teh stuff,when i got money. So yeah this is my first attempt with lizards so as mentioned above any Comments and thoughts are appreciated

Attached Files:

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Welcome to Lustria!

You have some decent painting techniques working well, I like the skin on your Old Blood and the models look good. It may just be the camera flash, but it looks to me like the white areas (teeth, bones, drum) could use a little more wash. Also the eyes stand out as looking flat, but some wash on them to make them fit with the rest of the model a bit more.

Keep it up, I look forward to seeing more!

3. Lord Cedric
    Terradon

Lord Cedric Member

Green Lizards. I like them! Nice job on deciding where the colors go. Looking forward to seeing more pics from your army.

- Lord Cedric

4. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

i recommend a coat of antishine on everything, so they get a matte finish. that will make them look much better imo.

5. strewart
    OldBlood

I like the wet look on lizards actually. A lot of real lizards look shiny or glossy.

6. Raein
    Saurus

Raein New Member

They aren't quite finished yet :) need to fix eyes in some, make the bases, paint the bases than varnish it, I just hope to keep the wet look that Stewart was talking about :)
    Thanks for the welcome, now that you mention it your right :) always takes a second pair of eyes to see what I can't, i plan on giving it another coat of wash on the teeth, don't know what color wash I'd use for the yellow eyes, what would you think??

I have started on my skinks, I still got plenty of sauras' to finish the ones in photos have been updated, will try to get me photos soon... As for my skinks I thought to go for a different spawning color, will post a completed painted model on its plain base when I'm free next, thanks for the welcome once again and the kind words :) made me feel very welcome :)

7. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Hmmm you might try a dark green wash instead of black ink on your Saurus.

8. Raein
    Saurus

Raein New Member

I use vallejo paints and their base coat was a dark green which was washed with Gw's badab black, than dry brushed a shade of green up than used Thakra wash, highlighted/ drybrushed a lime like green washed with azmuren blue than highlighted with lime green again, thats the scales... The under skin was beige washed with grephiona sepia... Will post/ take better photos of sauras' with their new shields and the new skink scheme

9. strewart
    OldBlood

I'd go for a brown wash - ogryn flesh, sepia or devlan mud depending on what kind of tone you wanted on them. If you have a steady enough hand and a brush with a fine enough point, it may also pay to put a black dot in the middle of them. Quite fiddly and difficult though!

10. Raein
    Saurus

Raein New Member

Yeah, thank stew... I have actually tried to do the black but my paint dryd to quick as it gets hot here... Needing to get a wet pallet... Thanks for the tip stew will post be pics even I can

11. strewart
    OldBlood

Haha yeah painting in an Australian summer is very very difficult. Even the weather at the moment makes it a bit hard with the paint drying on the brush before it gets to the model. And using a fan or AC creates airflow which also dries paint faster.

Good luck with it!

12. Raein
    Saurus

Raein New Member

Haha I know it sucks... Nah not using fan or ac.

13. Ihx-Karaq
    Saurus

Ihx-Karaq New Member

Feels strange reading about that weather problem of yours.. sure it can happen here as well, paint drying on the brush.. but at this moment its frost outside and below freezing, It will soon start to snow as its late fall over here :)

14. strewart
    OldBlood

Mmm cold can also be difficult since the paint takes forever to dry. Although in Europe you keep your houses fairly well heated in winter, don't you?

Autumn and spring are great for painting. In winter here (admitedly not that cold, but we don't really bother with heating the house usually) I can leave a wash for well over an hour before it dries. In summer it can reach 45C during the day and the paint dries way too fast. Such a difficult hobby we have. :)

15. Raein
    Saurus

Raein New Member

Yet we still do it, :) just kind of finished the skink,

16. Ihx-Karaq
    Saurus

Ihx-Karaq New Member

The biggest problem with the cold winter is the base coating, can't really go outside to spray paint.. need to be indoors somewhere. Yeah we keep our houses at around 20-25C, outside here in northern sweden it can reach -35-40C in the winter and +35-40 at the summers.. pretty big adjustments :p

back to topic!

Any pictures of that skink? Like what you have done so far :)

17. Raein
    Saurus

Raein New Member

Ok so after a weekend of uh... Fishing. I have managed to get the skink basicaly finished, this is jut a test model to see if the scheme will work....

My Saraus warriors with tehir painted sheilds and eyes completed, the eyes are a bit meh.

IMG_0033.jpg

any comments and thought welcome

Attached Files:

18. Lord Cedric
    Terradon

Lord Cedric Member

Looks good so far! Something I noticed and rather really like is the ice-blue/topaz look on parts of the banner. It's a very striking color compared to the darker colored saurus. Imo, I think a small detailed ice blue/topaz tie-in with the saurus shield would compliment the model. Just a thought/suggestion but not entirely necessary. I do like them as they are. nice job.

- Lord Cedric

19. strewart
    OldBlood

Very nice saurus, a crocodile-like quality! The skink looks good too.

20. Raein
    Saurus

Raein New Member

Yeah i did that too make them stand out, and i actually got it from some aztec jewllery, so i was trying to keep it in theme. i quite liked it too; don't know how i would tie it into the sheils though unless i try my hand at free handing some glyphs onto the sheilds.

Thanks mate :) yeah i dont know whether to make him a different color as i am making them from different spawing pools.