1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Raeins New Lizarmen army

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Raein, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

you have nice colors going there, but as always there is a little room for improvement. I would apply a coat of anti-shine spray (i know the army painter and testor have some of that, but there are probably 10 more brands that work) to kill the shine on the models. Unless you want a slimy look, which is very hard to pull off, a matte model will look better than a shiny one.

It looks like you have drybrushed on the gold, which i would not do in the future. Instead, apply a few thin coats till you have an even surface and then ink it with devlan mud. It will look much more rich :)

The eyes can be improved quite easily too. i will post a very basic eye painting tutorial later today :) (in a new thread though)

2. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

3. Raein
    Saurus

Raein New Member

i Probably wont coat them in matte varnish till i do their bases. hence why they are still shiny.... as for the weapons some were done slightly watered down, while some werent... and as for the wash i used black i thought it would define the weapons better, i do agree that i might of put it on to thick.... washes and painting aren't my best things, tryign to improve it though. Yeah i hate eyes, they are may bane, i will definatley look out for that thread, i should really paint the eyes before i glue arms on as they get in the way :)

Might have to try that i might try it on one weapon and see how it goes, i mainly use vallejo paint, and gw washes. when i think of golden/brass weapons which is what color i use i think that black shows that its aged and not so shiny, which i think if it was barand new than yeah but i think i might give the weapnd a light drybrush of brass and that will be done :)

4. Raein
    Saurus

Raein New Member

ok its been a little while here is another scheme i am thin king of taking for my skink skirmishers
    i was thinking of doing a orange and black one but than i was like it seem so good.. so what do youthink and comments and thought welcome.

mind you they aren't quite finished yet, the crests will have skin tone in it to distinguish skin from scales

5. Agrem
    Kroxigor

Agrem Active Member

Quite nice and original colour scheme. I like it. The red makes a nice contrast to grey and makes the models stand up more. I'd like to see a unit of those how they look together.

Only thing I don't really like is the red ring around the eye. Makes it look like the skink had an accident with make up. :p

Keep up the good work! Are you planning on carrying this theme over to saurus as well?

BR
    Agrem

6. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

I'm on the other side of the fence, the ring around the eye is what I like the most! Gives him a distinctive look. The colors are nice as well. Though I suggest that you pick another (preferably lighter) for the crest .
    Nice work! :D

7. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Agreed about the ring around the eyes being great. It's actually made me decide to give my next skink unit a blue ring,

8. Raein
    Saurus

Raein New Member

i was actually thinking that i'd strip the saurii and repaint them, but i don't kno still on the fence.

Thanks amte, yeah the crest is going to be a skin toned color with ogryn flesh was over it. to be honest they arent quite finished :)

9. Raein
    Saurus

Raein New Member

Ok so i decided to go with a brown wash over the first coat of grey, thanks for the idea looks better than a light coat of black wash. i have finished 5 and have around 7 to go. here is the start to finsh of these models, some of them are still missing arms as my glue had finally got gluggy and unusable so will need to buy more. but that wont stop me painting the parts before i put them together. so here are the photos.

IMG_0062.jpg \
    IMG_0056.jpg

what do you all think?

Attached Files:

10. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

All your picture links are broken in on your first page. Says you deleted or moved the pictures.

11. Raein
    Saurus

Raein New Member

yeah i got to go round an change them , been to busy eh

12. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

do you have a printer? if so, go to it, and steal a blank sheet of paper and put that beneath the model. now lift up the back corner so it forms a nice arc. tadaa! you now have a great backround for your models. it helps a lot to show off the colors, and you can also use it for white balancing in editing (in PhotoScape (free download) i press Ctrl+W and click on something white and it rebalances the colors perfectly. one click!)

GL

13. Raein
    Saurus

Raein New Member

Been a bit to busy and have neglected this.... Ooops... So I have finally finished with my skinks giving them and their completed bases an coat of matte varnish. I have decided to strip my Saurii and reprint them... I was thinking of doing a similar scheme as my skinks, or any suggestions ? Have also started on my coc painted one do far and halfway through three more will post pics when I can

14. Raein
    Saurus

Raein New Member

Haven't had much luck with painting recently, have attempted to paint some more of my TG, I roughly have one complete in one scheme and another in a different one. Will try to post pics of comparison I am unsure of the colors... Grey with blue scales or green with yellow hmmm... Also got a box of skinks and a chieftain on its way, was thinking of making a skrox unit...

15. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

Keep up the good work. The models are coming along nicely. Let us know when you finish the TG.

16. Raein
    Saurus

Raein New Member

Will try to get one painted this weekend have decided to go with same grey on the skinks with ablue for the scales and maybe go for a highlight of this blue
    stay tuned might have time to post a complete pic of my oldblood has had his base added too and slightly touched up....