1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS ravagekitteh's Amazing Age of Sigmar Battle Simulator

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by ravagekitteh, Apr 25, 2019.

?

Do I add Allegiance Abilities next or more units?

1. Allegiance Abilities

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. More units (list your choices below)

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

ravagekitteh Well-Known Member

Here is my Age of Sigmar battle simulator for you all to enjoy. The concept is simple - just input the size of the units, what the units are (yes, I know the order is counter-intuitive), and any weapons choices, and it will simulate a one on one battle between the two, including shooting and any other abilities the units may have. All it requires to run is Python (the programming language), which can be downloaded for free off the website. I will warn you it is very bare bones, with no GUI and very little leeway for typos, although it does allow some abbreviations for weapon options. I also have not subjected it to full on testing (this is just a relatively small project I'm doing for fun), so there will likely be bugs. The program itself should be updated at semi-regular intervals.

With that in mind, the purpose of this thread (other than to supply the program itself) is simple - this is for you to ask questions about its operation, point out bugs, make requests for characters and features (within reason - don't expect any major changes) and other things of the sort. However, with the exception of reporting bugs and other issues, I would prefer if discussion of the technical side (eg how it is coded, getting hold of the code, better programming techniques etc) was to take place in the development thread here.

Currently supported units:
    Seraphon:
    Saurus Oldblood
    Saurus Sunblood
    Saurus Warriors
    Saurus Guard
    Skinks
    Bastiladon
    Stormcast Eternals:
    Liberators
    Idoneth Deepkin:
    Lotann
    Namarti Thralls
    Namarti Reavers
    Ishlaen Guard
    Sylvaneth:
    Dryads
    Khorne:
    Bloodletters
    Skull Cannons

And now, without further ado, the program!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  2. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

Wilhelm Stürmer Well-Known Member

Ok, this is a neat program and I really hope you continue to develop it. I've been playing around with it and ran into a "buggy" output.

Bug.PNG

The wording for the Bastiladon surviving is confusing, as it states the unit survives with "0 wounds remaining"

ravagekitteh likes this.
  3. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

I believe I have fixed the problem if you want to give it another try (by the way, it will accept abbreviations like se for solar engine if you want to speed things up - I'll try to add more as time goes on). Also, if you moderators feel it is good enough, would it be worth pinning this thread so it doesn't get lost beneath all the others?

4. GreenyRepublic
    Temple Guard

GreenyRepublic Well-Known Member

Hey, this seems familiar...

My version however has been woefully neglected - Ravage do you fancy joining our efforts on this? If you feel comfortable with C++ that is, however I am also wanting to implement special abilities by way of Lua scripting.

5. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

As much as that would create a far superior program (and how I don’t want to steal your thunder!) I think I would struggle with doing that. The act of collaboration would be hard enough with the limitations of the website, but with my idiosyncratic programming technique and lack of knowledge on programming beyond the basics of Python, I think it would be too much effort on both of our parts for not enough progress. This was only ever going to be a relatively simple program that I made for fun and for my own personal use - adding it to the forum was only really an afterthought anyway. I’m more than happy to supply the code and talk through how I’ve done certain things, and to give you credit for coming up with the idea I’m the first place! But when it comes to collaboration, or grand gestures like GUIs or changing the language/technique entirely, I think I’m going to have to politely and respectfully decline if that’s okay.

6. GreenyRepublic
    Temple Guard

GreenyRepublic Well-Known Member

Not a problem at all, C++ would be a big leap for a new programmer, though if you ever wanted to learn I'd encourage it as it can teach a good amount about manual resource management. If you were interested in helping me write ability scripts in Lua when I get round to that I'd be thankful, and of course if you want to contribute your own model/weapon XML files please do!

7. Womboski
    Temple Guard

Womboski Well-Known Member

I just want to say I enjoyed your conversation and the respect shown for each other. Keep it up Lustria Online!

8. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Very interesting tool.

how is the development going?

9. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

Watch this space... ;)

10. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

IggyStarhost Well-Known Member

Boots up Anaconda... we wait...

Do I need my GeForce? Please do

11. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

What with the release of the new Battletome and everything, I decided to revisit my Battle Simulator with all the new Warscrolls along with the old ones so you can compare them against each other and various other enemies! The interface is just as rudimentary as before unfortunately, and if you have any background in programming whatsoever I'd advise you not to look at the code lest you become suddenly and violently ill at how awful it is, but it does at least (for the most part) work. Like before you can expect plenty of bugs as frankly I don't have the willpower to subject it to any real testing - feel free to report any you find and I'll do my best to get to the bottom of it. As for the future, while obviously there are several Seraphon Warscrolls I have not done yet which I'll see if I can get round to, from there there are several directions I can go. I can either work on adding in Allegiance Abilities and aura affects/spells etc, although I will warn you that will likely take a very long time and I definitely won't be doing the old ones and probably not any other units, or I can add in some more other units from other factions for you to test the various models against - I'll stick a poll up for you to decide. In the mean time, these are the units currently supported:

Seraphon (Both old and new, simply type "Old" after the name for the old Warscrolls):
    Saurus Warriors
    Saurus Sunblood
    Saurus Guard
    Skinks
    Bastiladon
    Saurus Oldblood
    Saurus Eternity Warden
    Slann Starmaster
    Saurus Knights
    Ripperdacytl Riders
    Saurus Oldblood on Carno
    Kroxigor