1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Razordon Conversion

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Lorrec, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Lorrec
    Skink

Lorrec Active Member

132E7C7E-108B-4496-BBE2-A6CDDA225ED8.jpeg
    Dark Elf Cold One mount used as the base. I used clippers to remove the saddle and Dark elf icons. Green stuffed over the saddle and smoothed a ball of green stuff on the tail. Before the green stuff hardened I clipped a tooth pick into a small point, and used the flat end to create circles where future tooth picks would be glued. The plastic spikes on the tail are clipped from the spare head plate of a Bastilladon.

I plan to water down liquid green stuff to create a second bond and secure the spikes (tooth pick tips). And if that still seems too weak a bond I may add a layer of thinned PVA glue. I’ll update once the conversion is finished and painted. I’m making 5 more and any comments and suggestions are very much appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Warden and Crowsfoot like this.
  2. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Q: what is dissatisfactory about the standard Razordon pose?

Notes/Comments:
    It seems like a waste of a perfectly good Cavalry Mount. That said, it is an interesting conversion.

Any plans to get rid of the reins? I think I would add some of those metal tokens to them, that would explain their purpose.

Any possibility of honing the wooden spikes to sharper points? Many look blunted?

I have often wondered about using copper wire as an armature material for spikes, backspines, or horns. But toothpicks could work.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Warden and Lorrec like this.
  3. pendrake
    Skink Priest

I need side by side visual comparison:

[​IMG]
    This Razordon painted by NightBringer

Warden likes this.
  4. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I'd love to see it painted. Could work.

5. Lorrec
    Skink

Lorrec Active Member

I like the standard Razordon. I don’t think my conversion is an improvement over the GW sculpt, I’m just working on a budget and I wanted 6 Razordons. Since they are out of stock and $30.00 each I wanted to create a cheaper alternative. I also have tons of the cold one models I got from a trade so I’ll have enough left over for an entire fire lance.
    The reins would take a lot of work to remove, but I’m taking your advice to add some Lizardmen bits so they don’t look out of place, and I like to think the reins are there for the skinks to herd them.
    I think once I get some paint on the model it won’t look so ridiculous. Well I hope anyway XD.

Warden and ILKAIN like this.
  6. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

While I do agree with @pendrake 's point about the reins, +1 to doing Razordons on a budget.

Really neat conversion!

Lorrec likes this.
  7. eron12
    Saurus

eron12 Active Member

I really like this conversion. I do think it would look better with some modification to the reins.

Lorrec likes this.
  8. pendrake
    Skink Priest

Glyph pendants? Maybe that’s what they are called.

Lorrec likes this.
  9. Lorrec
    Skink

Lorrec Active Member

I’m still working on the paint scheme, I hope to finish them in the next couple of weeks. Here’s a few pictures of the 6 I’ve converted in action. 1B377600-ED12-42D7-9639-8DE16FE9595D.jpeg F7ADC384-3F7A-4DD2-8168-5651BFEB4F25.jpeg

Galen, Aginor, ILKAIN and 1 other person like this.