1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Razordon Happiness

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by spawning of Bob, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

having a proxy game in a couple of minutes vs Daemons..wanted to try out the new razors....decided to check in one extra time because of your post BoB

GLAD I DID!

here birdy birdy bird!!! NOW EAT THOSE 4RS!

n810 likes this.
  2. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

Go PhatMoFo!
    phatmofo.jpg

Hope you can turn the tables on your foes!

Razordon Report Compulsory.

3. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

So ...about that Daemons game ..I won.....but the razordons didnt do anything else than fending off nurglings and laying 1 wound on a Soul Grinder.....which was my fault..I played them terrible.

BUT!

had a High Elf game JUST AFTER!

and HERE the music sang (yes, it sang...im not out for debating that statement)

..I have no idea what jungle god decided that 8th is gonna be the Razordons turf, but they outperformed my sallies in any way.

while both got up against each of their unit archers, the sallies didnt get to finish theirs of...while the razordons needle-cushioned their way through the archers turn 1, and continued to overhaul a unit of Phoenix Guards..killing 5 first round and then send off 18 shots the next...where of...no one got through ...
    but you cant blame the raz's for that.....when your opponent saves 6 shots on a 6+ armoursaves and then saves rolls 12*4+ on a ward save...nothing will do -.-

anyway, my conclussion is: march + skirmish + quick to fire +18'' = VIOLENCE!

While Sallies might be more reliable to weaken larger blocks, razordons are most certainly more effective when trying to get them finished, and for smaller blocks..they take the medal, since the salamander cant get the use of his entire template.

Since the Sallies dont have the -3 to armour save and march and shoot anymore, I think I will use razordons from now on. They did SO well....

n810 likes this.
  4. CookieGuy
    Skink

CookieGuy New Member

What unit sizes were you using for Sallies and Razors? It's hard to interpret a battle report without knowing how many there were. Still, it's good to know. I've been itchin to play Razordons for awhile. I don't even remember where I left the models...

5. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Great stuff! I, too, have been feeling bad for the Razordons (just abbreviating them 'Dons don't work, as that could be almost any of our dinos: StegaDON, TrogloDON, TerraDON... Don Don Dooon) because they had no use. I have been scavenging through eBay to find some disheartened Lizardmen player trying to sell off his Razordons, but really rarely see them, which is weird. Wants me some of 'em!

But I have couple of questions. How do you rank a unit of 6 Razordons, for example? Just three in front, three in back (or 4+2 or whatever), in Skirmish formation and don't care about the Handlers?

Secondly, I don't have the book at hand, but can Razordons really march and shoot as has been implied here? But Salamanders can't?

The purple Razordon looks really cool! I have a hard time trying to decide what colours I should use for mine....

6. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

I ran them 3 in each

Thanks for a cheap laugh :D

Its because no one bought them to begin with -.-' been on the same hunt.

I dont think theres a rule that keeps you from forming them exactly as you want (no "Z" formation though :D)
    Remember that handlers are never actually "there" ..they just serve as a wound marker.
    If someone charges your DONS and they they hit a handler but not the DON, they actually didnt hit anything, and the charge fails.

I was about to write a long summary of how they could...but now I read the following under both "Spout Flames" and "Shoot Barbs"

A "DON" can shoot if it moves, but not if it marches ' ,,,,,,,major bummer.

still pretty good unit! but now I see its on even bars with the sally again :)....at least.

7. Walgis
    Ripperdactil

Walgis New Member

they cannot march and shoot as its said in theyre rules.

8. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

I feel like I'm checking eBay for Razors on a day-to-day basis! Where are they?! I can't find any of them whilst trawling through the discount online shops either :(

I say this a lot, but Sallies are near abysmal for me to play with: every game I've had the rate of misfires is more than the shots got off. Every. Game. EVER. I'm happy if I get three shots off per game, and that's with two of them!!! It's become a running joke. I don't understand how my bad luck with dice rolling is so fixated on the Salles! I guess it's got to happen to someone, statistically.....:s I feel like the Razors are calling me to them, hopefully they'll be more in favour with the Dice Gods :/

I almost forgot to comment on Bob's Razo0r after that rant: I like purple, I like the razor! Very nice; my own Cold-Ones are purple...I may invest in a purple army in the future :p

9. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

as written in the comment just above yours.. pretty sad they cant.

Beat you to it!
    my army is Naggaroth Purple based :D

10. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

Doom and Darkness! No March and shoot?

I'll edit my post.

11. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Nice razor Bob! I like it better than the purple abomination in the first pic. ;) As for using razors vs sallies, I've been tempted to use them, especially with the range increase. Add one more person scouring ebay for cheap, used razordons.

12. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

No! Wait!

Razordons suck!!!! Citadel no longer manufacture purple paint!!!! You could hurt yourself on those nasty spines!!!!

(Bwahahaha! Gullible Lizardmen Players shall flood Ebay with cheap Razordon's! I shall purchase all of them and then sell them on to Rychek for a ridiculous profit! I shall call myself "Games Workshop" to indicate that I have sold my soul!!!!!)

13. Drmooreflava
    Saurus

Drmooreflava New Member

I don't think razordons will put out the numbers you think they will. Salamanders are still better because they can put the hurtin' on ranked infantry. This is their role, peel off a few ranks before we get to combat. Lizardmen monsters struggle with steadfast units, if you can peel off a rank or two from a unit before your ancient steg charges in, he might be able to break steadfast after 2 rounds of combat while winning combat because the unit doesn't have as high of a rank bonus in combat res.

I feel like 2 salamanders will be more effective than 3 or even 4 razordons.

Salamanders are much much much better chaff too. Razordons can't flee, they have to stand and shoot. Salamanders can move up, pop a shot, flee a charge and set up for the next shot. Razordons move up, shoot, get charged and probably lose combat due to ranks and banners. While a group of 5 razordons might be formidable in combat for someone to be comfortable with them taking a charge, I don't see them being as helpful to your army as salamanders or an ancient steg.

14. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

I encourage you to try them. As mentioned before, they actually outdid salamanders in my last game. Also on big blocks..and I have my Salamander experience intact :D

I do tend to think I was lucky on the Raz's though, so I have to try them again.

but whatever happens I still feel both have a spot now...
    3 Raz's will most certainly put more wounds on a few/single model unit than 3 Salamanders
    but salamanders should outperfom on blocks, + they have flaming and auto-panic check.

I think Razordons will have place as the "get that flying thing out of my lines" in my army.

15. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Hmm... if you play your razors like they are sallies, then yes, sallies are superior. But if you play your razors like razors and don't move them right up to the face of a large ranked unit, the flee issue is moot. Each unit must be played according to its role.

16. Drmooreflava
    Saurus

Drmooreflava New Member

I agree, but we have so many other units that can deal with enemy units that don't sport lots of ranks. Lots of ranks are a large obstacle to overcome with all lizard units barring saurus cuz you can actually build lots of saurus ranks and expect them to make it to combat without taking a ton of casualties and hopefully break steadfast.

Salamanders are better vs deeply ranked units (as you said), one of the few enemy units that can pin a lizardmen army in place for just enough time to swing the battle is a deeply ranked unit.

The role a salamander fills cannot be replaced by any other model.
    The role a razordon has, can, IMO, be filled by a few different options. I feel like, stegs or saurus cav can deal with the same units that razordons fight and can do it from the specials section. They are also slighty harder to kill than razordons.

Anyway, GW did have to do something with razordons. Now they are a pick-able choice (however, they are expensive $$ wise), where before, they weren't even considerable. Hats off to G-dubs for stimulating razordon sales and livening up the lizardmen army book.

17. Kcibrihp-Esurc
    Razordon

Kcibrihp-Esurc Well-Known Member

Aah! It's a Carnosaur! And it bought Bloodroar 7 different times!

18. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

It was just pointed out to me that Razordons are Monstrous Beasts in the current book. In the old book they were Warbeasts. The one thing that changes is that now Razordons get a Stomp and cannot be Stomped or Thunderstomped.

Slanputin likes this.
  19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

In addition they are immune to regular killing blow and can make up to 3 supporting attacks (in their case 2 attacks unless buffed)

Slanputin likes this.