1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

razordon help

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by tchorben, May 16, 2009.

1. tchorben
    Jungle Swarm

tchorben New Member

I just Bought a razordon ... which seems rather difficult to paint, but the first thing i noticed is that the paint doesn' stick to thim like to other metal models. Any advice ? its like my brush is full of water ... but it isn't. Also if you have painted razordons please post yer pictures and share :D

2. Casanwhora
    Jungle Swarm

Casanwhora New Member

Did you prime the models before you painted them ?

3. tchorben
    Jungle Swarm

tchorben New Member

prime? explain to me this prime operation, please. Tiktaq'to didn't require any prepaint operation :D

4. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

With any model, but especially with metal models, it is often necessary to first clean them in warm soapy water, and then give them a coat of spray primer. Certain colors, like Undercoat Black or White (not Skull White) can be brushed on as primers as well. You will have an epic fail on your hands if you don't do these, as you noticed.

5. tchorben
    Jungle Swarm

tchorben New Member

okay thanks. So basically you recommend all models to be coated by spray paint ?

6. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Yes, but make sure it's not your garden variety spray paint. The stuff they sell at GW is especially for coating miniatures with because it has very fine particulates. If you use a different spray paint, you could end up covering up all the details on your model.

7. Aranigej
    Temple Guard

Aranigej Member

I used to use the GW spray but now I'm using another make that I buy from my local hardware store. It is a matt black spray and the result is very similar to the GW one but at about half the price.

@ tchorben - yes definitely prime your models and I recommend spray since I find it adheres to the modle better than applying it by brush. Also, as asrodig commented it would be a good idea to wash it in warm soapy water before priming.

8. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I suggest you read this thread:
    http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/why-wont-you-stupid-piece-of-iron-stick-together.1394/

It starts off talking about glue, but goes into painting later on and contains all the detailed information you need.

Definitely get your hands on some spray paint, it is soooo much faster to undercoat that way, gives a much smoother finish and sticks a lot better. It doesn't neccesarily have to be GW brand, but not all will work. Test some out on some empty sprues or old models or even bases if you buy something cheaper, because some will obscure detail while others will be fine. Also some will not go on smoothly, or paint will not stick on top of them very well. If you get another brand designed for models (like vallejo) it should be fine.

9. Raeth
    Skink

Raeth New Member

Dupli-Color Sandable Auto Primer is my favorite. Also, it is cheaper than miniature specific paints, and available at any auto parts store. With any primer just be careful about spraying too much so that you don't fill in details, keep the can moving.

10. Revered_Guardian
    Troglodon

Revered_Guardian New Member

I guess looking at this I should start undercoting.... nah im too lazy and poor ( plus i think my models look great without it... and no peeling so far!)