1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(RE)PAINTING BLOG

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by bonz, May 20, 2013.

1. bonz
    Cold One

bonz Active Member

Re: CONVERTED OLDBLOOD / (RE)PAINTING BLOG

thanks newscales,

i tried make the albino skin work up from a blue basecoat but think i started too dark to work up to pure white... :depressed: went for a creamy off white robe to add a bit of warth but still keep a light colour, unfortunately my trusty sunburst yellow has long since dried up so that wont really be an option :depressed: haha i may experiment with striping on the skinks tail those photos look pretty sweet :)

i have had two unfortunate realisations painting this model: i was in fact better at painting when i was twelve than i am now. and i may have to invest in some new paints.

oh, and ive fallen into my trap of painting all the fun models first and leaving blocks of unpainted troops never to be finished...

heres a WIP shot of the priest

_SAM6409.jpg

any feedback is welcome :smug: (as long as its not negative ;) )

Attached Files:

2. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I really like your color scheme. That looks great!

3. bonz
    Cold One

bonz Active Member

skink is now based and almost finished! a few details and hes done, should have pics up by tonight!

4. bonz
    Cold One

bonz Active Member

ok here he is, il take some pics of him beside the other guys when i get a chance

im pretty happy with it, i definately think he looks a lot more dangerous and powerful than his last incarnation... who just looked kinda cute..

all comments criticisms etc are welcome :smug: and please do post its giving me the will to actually paint!!

_SAM6520.jpg

_SAM6593.jpg

_SAM6636.jpg

_SAM6712.jpg

_SAM6736.jpg

_SAM6744.jpg

Attached Files:

5. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Looks great, painting an albino is harder than people think,
    the only think I would change, is to give him an iris. (|)
    _SAM6520.jpg

Attached Files:

6. bonz
    Cold One

bonz Active Member

@n810, yeah i was planning on not giving him an iris to give him a kind of sinister magicy look, but having seen your photoshop magic i have added one :D on that note, do you paint your irises or is ther an easier way to do them? (0.05 fineliner pen springs to mind)

for anyone thats interested the next update will probably be some repainted saurus.. i have 16 saurus and 2 terradons waiting in the wings (no pun intended :D ) so i intend to do 8 saurus then reward myself by painting a terradon... then repeat.. :smug: then i have unknown number of skinks with unknown number of weapon combinations in unknown states of broken-ness.. 8 saurus on cold ones and i think all the skink chief models.. so stay tuned :smug:

7. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Yea I have tried a few solutions, fine tip felt tip pens work prety good,
    on skinks...

saurus eyes have proved to be squintier and anreachable my my pen most of the time,
    I have resorted to a tiny amount of black paint in a very shapened tooth pick ,
    with some sucess...

Other wise I break out a super fine tip brush and hope for the best.

Usualy it easy enough to touch up the eyelids and cheek wuth the origional color.
    after the ineviadble accidents.

8. bonz
    Cold One

bonz Active Member

yeah i dont bother puttin any irises in for saurus, i think they make skinks look more intelligent though.. anyway thanks for commenting and the advice! :smug:

9. newscales
    Kroxigor

newscales New Member

the model looks great. the color looks muted a bit to me, but if that is the goal then its perfect. I would like to see a little more color on him, something that pops and stands out in the adornment or the basing maybe. However, if the blended, muted look is the desired effect, then I wouldn't change anything. very well done up model regardless :)

10. bonz
    Cold One

bonz Active Member

@ newscales, yes the model looks muted.. thats more to do with my bad photography than the colours though! :D the overall effect was to be quite muted as beside my other models he jumps out. there are a few splashes of colour though, a bright purple bag on the staff, the orange stripy lizard on his back and one or two more. im still trying to improve the photography it doesnt really show up the colour very well :depressed: thanks for commenting and thanks for your feedback :smug:

11. bonz
    Cold One

bonz Active Member

ok so here are 8 of my saurus before repainting.

i painted these a long time ago and there are a few things im not happy with and want to change

-they are too shiny (gloss varnish... :rolleyes: )
    -they look too soft. the skin looks far to smooth, i want to try get it to look tougher and scalier
    -they are too bright, i want to tone down the colour
    -they are really messy, i want to neaten them up
    -i want to change the golds and shields in particular

_SAM6775.jpg
    _SAM6776.jpg
    _SAM6777.jpg
    _SAM6778.jpg
    _SAM6779.jpg

Attached Files:

12. bonz
    Cold One

bonz Active Member

first 4 saurus now repainted and based, and they have a jungle themed movement tray! :smug: they just need eyes... :rolleyes:

_SAM6780.jpg
    _SAM6781.jpg
    _SAM6782.jpg
    _SAM6783.jpg

the colour scheme is one that is quick and easy to paint but i think looks quite good. i want to get through these guys as fast as possible as my friend is painting a beastman army and the idea is for us to both play our first ever game of warhammer, despite being involved in the hobby on off for the last 9 years :smug:

Attached Files:

13. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

Those look great and I especially like the stripping on the shields. The jungle themed movement trays are also excellent. I hope the flock holds up under the handling of gameplay.

14. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Those shields look great. How many layers of striping do you do on each one? Would you mind posting your method?

15. bonz
    Cold One

bonz Active Member

thanks guys! :smug: yeah its clump foliage reinforced with superglue so although it should hold up it still feels fragile... time will tell i guess..

and yes the shields are done from a black basecoat, a kind of star pattern that gets smaller and more centred and gets finer lines with each layer.

the colours are:

-goblin green and chaos black mixed (very dark mix) and watered slightly
    -goblin green and chaos black mixed (greeny catachan green mix) and watered slightly
    -goblin green, scorpion green and a tiny bit of chaos black
    -goblin green and scorpion green

thanks for the feedback guys it really is appreciated

16. newscales
    Kroxigor

newscales New Member

intense work on the shield, but it really shows the quality of your painting. 2 big thumbs (talons?) up

17. bonz
    Cold One

bonz Active Member

ok so i havnt been very active on the painting front lately.... :oops:

but i have been working on a bit of a conversion :smug: inspired by the 'cowboy' scar vet on cold one i deceided to make my own :smug: as if i didnt have enough hero models already.... :rolleyes:

anyway, heres some wip shots, sorry parts are undercoated from a while ago so its difficult to see! i will post up some more pics whenever i find a colour scheme for cold ones and get around to painting him :smug:

_SAM6784.jpg

_SAM6785.jpg

_SAM6786.jpg

_SAM6787.jpg

the conversion is pretty much based around the CoC champion cold one, with a standard rider body. the head was replaced with an old temple guard head i had knocking around from an older conversion (waste not want not :smug: ) i then fasioned a sort of buckler shield for him by cutting and filing a part of one of the cold one cavalry standards. an arm and shoulder guard from the saurus warrior sprue and a custom halberd type weapon made from bits of two spears, a sword and various feathers finished him off.

18. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Cheers for the shield painting method. Very cool.

With the new conversoin, he looks good, and I like the weapon, but the buckler doesn't look right to me. Too small, and doesn't really seem to fit the model (ie. the rest is all spikes and scales, and the shield's flat with a bubble). It might look different once painted, but yeah, my 2 cents. Maybe if it were attached to the middle of a regular shield, or if you green-stuffed some small scales onto the flat part?

19. bonz
    Cold One

bonz Active Member

@Old Mossy, thanks for commenting and the feedback! :smug: yeah il probably take some stick for the shield, I originally wanted to put it on a normal shield but it didnt really work and i dont have any green stuff so it was either a buckler or a normal shield.. i decided on a gold one because a wanted him to stand out from the unit of saurus rather than just looking like a normal warrior who got lost from his regiment :D there are a lot of scales on the model between the cold one and the saurus and i was hoping to have as much gold on the model (such as the champion cold one head etc. ) to show his rank. the normal saurus shield also are quite big and dominate the model a bit.. the buckler is from a lizardman sprue so i figured it should still look like something they would have crafted, i guess we'll see whether it works after painting.. i may have to change it ha ;) thanks for posting and your opinion! :smug:

20. Dyvim Tvar
    Razordon

Dyvim Tvar New Member

Looking good. I really like the paint, but I am not a big fan of the spongy moss on the bases. I think it detracts from otherwise really good stuff. The cavalry conversion is really good--not complex, but well thought out. I think I am going to duplicate that weapon ...