1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(RE)PAINTING BLOG

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by bonz, May 20, 2013.

1. bonz
    Cold One

bonz Active Member

Re: CONVERTED OLDBLOOD / (RE)PAINTING BLOG

@Dyvim Tvar, thanks for the feedback! the moss and clump foliage on the bases will probably have to be seriously toned down in future because it does cause problems with ranking up when it blocks the tails of the rank in front. i get what your saying but the bases just seem too plain without it :depressed: it does look better irl than in photographs :D ;)

thanks for your comment on the conversion :smug: i read once upon a time (possibly in a white dwarf) that a good conversion should look unique but like something that looks as though it could have been bought so thats what i aim for in my converting, keeping it simple but trying to make it look effective :smug:

on another note painting has started, not too sure about the colours on the cold one yet its my first one to paint :shifty: also my crap old paint seem to flake off constantly... :rage:

_SAM6788.jpg
    _SAM6790.jpg
    _SAM6791.jpg

Attached Files:

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

So far so good. :)

Ps. sounds like you didn't use primer the first time.

3. newscales
    Kroxigor

newscales New Member

that gold looks very good. I was worried about gold on my models so i went with that bronze color GW makes. Yours looks absolutely stunning thought. great job.

4. bonz
    Cold One

bonz Active Member

almost finished the painting, some bits still have to be done on the weapon and other small bits need to be highlighted and tidied up but here he is as he looks now :) pretty happy with this guy, any feedback is welcome :smug:

_SAM6800.jpg

5. Dyvim Tvar
    Razordon

Dyvim Tvar New Member

Pretty!

Love your gold.

6. bonz
    Cold One

bonz Active Member

very little work done since the last post, but tomorow im hoping to get my unit of saurus painted... optimistic but i will try.. also will post a group shot of all the models i have completed thus far asap :) also just bought 3 of the old oop kroxigor and am really looking forward to getting and painting them :smug:

7. bonz
    Cold One

bonz Active Member

quick update, 13 skinks are about a third of the way done.. but since i have nothing new to actually show i thought i would post some pics of my latest distraction, found in my bits box and painted it today. Although its not lizardmen i find that a bit of variety helps one to stay sane when painting numerous small blue lizards

_SAM6814.jpg
    _SAM6813.jpg
    _SAM6810.jpg

Attached Files:

8. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Good looking droid you got there. :smug:

9. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Great looking droid. The little free-hand details really make it.

10. Zwuppie
    Razordon

Zwuppie Member

Awesome you also have Tau!:) Like the DRONE ... And your lizardmen ofcourse!:)

11. bonz
    Cold One

bonz Active Member

yes, tau were my first love, soon followed by lizardmen. the moment i saw the old box cover art for both races i was hooked!

12. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

I really like your Scar Vet Cowboy - very nice work with the muted colors. I'm especially fond of the weapon you converted. And I think the buckler is great too - very American Plains Indian looking.

I disagree with your quote about 'a good conversion should still look like something that you bought' - sounds like advice from GW's marketing dept. more than an artistic rule of thumb. I say don't be afraid to let your imagination soar and see where it takes you.

My 2 cents.

13. bonz
    Cold One

bonz Active Member

Ouch. :D

You misunderstand me, I agree completely with what you're saying! i interpret the quote about models looking like somthing that could be bought purely as a technical guideline.

whatever gripes me or anyone else has about games workshop, i dont think anyone can deny that they make some fantastic models. a good conversion balances creative vision and technical skill, and many a great idea has been spoiled by poor execution. i meant was that i to attempt to make each conversion as seamless as possible, regardless of what im converting. theres nothing wrong with striving to match the quality of a high calibre miniature company like games workshop or indeed any other without being restricted to the imagination of their design team :D

that said, if someones creative vision for a unit of temple guard is saurus warriors with space marine helmets, im not going to smile and say i like it :D but then the creativity part is subjective to personal taste :smug:

14. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

Yes, I agree, a good conversion should work seamlessly with the underlying model. All I was saying is that I don't feel constrained to only use bits that are readily identifiable as coming from a GW kit, and what really "wows" me is when people take the same basic ideas but bring the expression, or aesthetic, to a new unexpected place. And the best conversions, IMO, do that AND also tell some kind of story or work as a vignette. Lately my bases are becoming mini dioramas, and I think that's what I like about your pieces the most too. The more "story" you can cram into a 20x20mm space, the better, provided it ranks up and makes some sort of sense with your army theme.

Carry on ;)

15. bonz
    Cold One

bonz Active Member

just though i'd put up a few photos!

heres an army shot of what i have painted/part painted so far ( minus several skinks )
    _SAM6821.jpg

pics of my fully completed scar vet cowboy
    _SAM6824.jpg
    _SAM6828.jpg
    _SAM6833.jpg

pics of some skinks showing the start of their rugged terrain bases
    _SAM6836.jpg
    _SAM6837.jpg
    _SAM6838.jpg

and finally a command picture! my three army (tiny warband) heroes, as yet still nameless
    _SAM6840.jpg

16. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Great job man, :smug:
    I realy love the contrast between the dark smooth shades
    and the bright but tarnished metals.

17. newscales
    Kroxigor

newscales New Member

beautiful work across the board. I wish my models looked half as good

18. Kha xa kota
    Skink

Kha xa kota New Member

Hey Bonz,

These look great. Good job. I wish I could find time to just take photos of what I have.

19. bonz
    Cold One

bonz Active Member

ok its been a long time since i've updated this.. and i hav'nt really got a whole lot to show for it, real life has been pretty crazy :(

but anyway, i thought i'd share a painted kroxigor and a WIP salamander with you :) comments and feedback appreciated as always!

_SAM7977.jpg

_SAM7978.jpg

_SAM7979.jpg

_SAM7980.jpg

20. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

Nice to see you back posting again! The new stuff looks great. I really like your pallette. Not a huge fan of that 6th edition krox, but you make it look good. Still a huge fan of the converted weapon on your scar vet cowboy :)