1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reading anything good?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Deathfrisbee2000, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Deathfrisbee2000
    Kroxigor

Deathfrisbee2000 New Member

I'm currently in the middle of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files: Grave Peril. Good stuff.

--DF2K

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I am currently reading Raymond E Feist's latest book, he is a fantastic fantasy author who I would strongly recommend to anyone who likes fantasy (ie. anyone on this forum). :)

3. Bibamus
    Bastiladon

Bibamus New Member

Plato - Gorgias is the last thing i read, gotta start reading some romanian philosophy becuase exams are coming up :rage:

4. Starblayde
    Skink

Starblayde New Member

Reading a signed copy of Songs of a Dying Earth (that my other half got me for Christmas) while I await George R. R. Martin's next installment in the Song of Ice and Fire series.

5. Cuauhtémoc
    Saurus

Cuauhtémoc New Member

Just finished "The Master and Margarita" by Mikhail Bulgakov. Great book, I'd recommend it for anyone whose looking for something serious (and hilarious too! :D ).
    I currently row towards the middle of the first of "The Dreamers" series by David & Leigh Eddings, "The Elder Gods". Awesome fantasy.

6. kroxigor01
    Ripperdactil

kroxigor01 Member

I have become to lazy for reading. I loved reading Terry Pratchett, but I seem to have read them all :rolleyes:

7. Deathfrisbee2000
    Kroxigor

Didn't he do Wizard's Apprentice?

ALL of 'em? There's a ton of Discworld books, not to mention Good Omens, he wrote with Neil Gaiman.

--DF2K

8. hellbreaker
    Troglodon

hellbreaker New Member

Why did I read this as "Who I would struggle to recommend..."?

I don't read much. My proof being that I've been reading The restaurant at the end of the universe (The second Hitch-hiker's book.) since the middle of September last year now...
    But I like it, it's funny. =P

Cheers!

9. msinosic
    Kroxigor

msinosic New Member

Not that I know of. He did Magician and numerous other great books.

Edit: I think I know what you mean. In the USA they apparently split Magician in half and made. Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master. Too many words in one book for the Americans ;)

Yes I have read the latest book Stewart. I love them all.

I have a host of other great fantasy novels and can recommend some for you all depending on what you like?

For example if you want a good assassin series with a little bit of magic thrown in read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks.
    Or perhaps you like a like a book where the author isnt afraid to kill off a main character and leave you shocked? The Song of Fire and Ice by George R.R. Martin.

10. Deathfrisbee2000
    Kroxigor

That't the guy. I think it's funny that the greatest sorcerer of all time is named Pug.

--DF2K

11. strewart
    OldBlood

Or Milamber depending on which world he is on. ;)

I want to name my first born son after Arutha. Awesome character, awesome name, just a little nerdy. :p

12. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Prince Arutha, from his lofty perch,
    Will find our troops without a search.
    His men will fall, his castle too,
    And then what will Prince Arutha do?

Hehe, ever play that old PC game Betrayal at Krondor? For those who haven't, it had these treasure chests that were locked with riddles. Basically like a combo lock except you would have to form words instead of a numeric combination. And no, I'm not nerdy enough to have a whole riddle memorized, but Google has a way of filling in gaps of memory! A good game that was done novel-style, which you either love or hate. If you really want to get immersed in the world you can read all the text that pops up with every action you take. It's a neat concept that adds a layer of immersion to the game world. As far as I remember, it roughly follows the same plotline as the Feist novel of the same name, only there is a bit more leveling up and a lot more side-questing.

As far as what I'm reading (audiobooking)... The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Every once in a while you stumble across a book that just captures your imagination and rekindles your love of the genre. Probably my favorite fantasy book since the Lord of the Rings, and the audio version has an exceptionally skilled narrator who puts you right with the characters. The only problem is that it is so good I sometimes space out at work while listening!

13. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I am currently re-reading the Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. I am on book 9 now and hope to read through book 12 by summer (I only read while on the train to and from work). I used to re-read all the books before reading the latest installment. After this run through, I will not do that again. It has taken forever this time. Good series though.

14. Lounge_Lizard
    Cold One

Lounge_Lizard New Member

I loved reading The magician, as well as Betrayal at Krondor and Silverthorn.
    I've just finished re-reading Gog, by Giovanni Papini. A very amusing book from 1931, that reeks of actuality, which is kind of ominous. :artist:

Cheers!

15. strewart
    OldBlood

Yeah I played the game, fairly recently actually. Either last year or the year before. It actually got kinda hard, but probably because I didn't spend time exploring and building my characters first. I don't think I got too much further than the second town after you go to Krondor, so not far at all. Was a fun game though.

16. Deathfrisbee2000
    Kroxigor

Just finished the final installment in Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series, First Lord's Fury. I have to admit I really got into this series.

--DF2K

17. stubacca3291
    Skink

stubacca3291 New Member

I have just finished Dust Of Dreams, the Ninth or Tenth book of The Malazan Book Of The Fallen, one of the best series I have ever read, can't wait for the crippled god to find out who is left alive, he always kills my favourite chars :(

18. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

One of the best ways to increase your odds of survival is, strangely, to max out your "bard" skill (or whatever the skill was called). There is one town roughly due north of Krondor that sells lutes. I would usually have Owyn be the designated bard for the game, since he seems to be one of the main characters. It'll take you 2 or 3 lutes to max him out, but trust me it is well worth it. Once you do this, travelling around and exploring different towns carries the reward of a nice chunk of change, since most towns have at least one tavern or inn. You can perform at each tavern once per chapter, and doing so will let you buy all those shiny swords and armor, which makes the game a bit easier.

Give it another go, I found it to be an enjoyable game, though admittedly the graphics didn't age well.

Also, don't sell your gems till chapter 3, you'll see what I mean...

19. JohnMavrick
    Troglodon

JohnMavrick New Member

Here are a couple of series I highly recommend;

Star of the Guardians by Margaret Weis.
    1) "The Lost King"
    2) "King's Test"
    3) "King's Sacrifice"
    4) "Ghost Legion" (this one was penned later upon Author's wish to give character's 'peace'

It's essentially a galactic fantacy (a term coined by Margaret Weis) which is a very enchanting and thrilling set of novels. Unfortunately they are no longer in print so finding your own copy might be a bit challenging but I'm sure if you search your local library your bound to run into it. They're good enough that I've stayed up waaaay past a prudent hour reading.

Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind.'
    1) "Wizard's First Rule"
    2) "Stone of Tears"
    3) "Blood of the Fold"
    4) "Temple of the Winds"
    5) "Soul of the Fire"
    6) "Faith of the Fallen"
    7) "The Pillars of Creation"
    8) "Naked Empire"
    9) "Chainfire"
    10) "Phantom"
    11) "Confessor"

This is a long series but it's a VERY good one! Each book keeps you reading and entrances you in the characters and plot as you progress through each new book. Luckily the series of complete so getting into it you won't be left hanging waitting for the next one to come out. In the past two years I've read through all the books and am currently on my second read through (almost finished with "Naked Empire"). I recommend these to anyone, weather they are fantacy fans or not. They are just that good.

20. Deathfrisbee2000
    Kroxigor

I'll admit I'm not much of a Weis fan. I enjoyed the Dragonlance series in middle-school, but it didn't hold up with time for me. I also tried getting into the Deathgate Saga but couldn't.

My favorite book of all time (just to put it up there so this post isn't just nay-saying) is Starship Troopers. The movie blew salty chunks, but the book was amazing.

--DF2K