1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Realistic Jungle Foliage

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Jorgik, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

OK so now with the Golden Serpent competition coming up I have thought about giving my entry a properly realistic to-scale jungle undergrowth, including plants, grasses, dirt, tree trunks and such foliage common in a jungle. And me having no ideas had to resort to you guys and at the same time make a thread to which we could all contribute and take ideas from, so we can all improve our nice display bases. What I mean by jungle foliage is something like this:

Ejemplo jungla 1.jpg Ejemplo jungla 2.jpg

See all the foliage and dense undergrowth? That´s what I see so complicated to recreate keeping in mind the scale the models are and trying to make it as accurate and realistic as possible.

Examples I have found:

jungle foliage example.jpg
    From here :)

Jungle foliage example 2.jpg
    This one is extremely realistic, from pinterest

Also many pictures of an excellent Vietnam diorama here

So what I ask is if anyone knows how to do this beauty o_O. It doesn´t need to be anything complicated, in fact sometimes the simplest techniques get the best results. Anything that you guys think of just throw it here :D.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    Bowser, NIGHTBRINGER and Warden like this.
  2. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

To start with I can already add brass etch leaves. I know they are the most realistic way to go but also one of the most expensive. Apart form that, I have no idea which companies make brass etch leaves except the small sheet of GW. Does anybody know any brand that make them?

For those who don´t know what brass etch is (the golden sheet), from GW:
    image(2).jpg

Bowser, NIGHTBRINGER and Warden like this.
  3. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

I agree, getting that kind of scale with modelling plants is hard. Most of the stuff I have bought at hobby stores is a bit bigger scale, but then again I am cheap... I have heard of brass etchings but not for vegetation before, just for space marine shoulder pads and symbols.

The Vietnam-era models are amazing! The plants ALL look in PERFECT scale with the miniatures themselves! And the mud/water effects on the front look completely realistic!

Only advice I have right now is two short videos: one I used to learn how to do water effects, and the other how to create waterfalls! (which I haven't attempted yet though)

Water effects
    Waterfalls

Jorgik, Bowser and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  4. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Bowser and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  5. Rokanos
    Kroxigor

Rokanos Well-Known Member

oh man i wish that death world kit was still available...well for a decent price anyway.

Warden and Bowser like this.
  6. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

You can get laser cut paper plants that look good, I can't remember the name of a company that does plants!

Let me think

www.realityinscale.com

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
    Bowser likes this.
  7. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

Bracnos Well-Known Member

Man I got the death world kit...I have no idea how to go about using the brass plants, so they sit collecting dust

8. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Thanks all!! I'll check all of this :)
    @Bracnos you just cut them off the sprue and shape them as you want. Then glue them and prime them to be painted.

9. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

I found another tip: thyme roots for scale trees. It looks awesomely good. The small branching roots are resistant enough as to be painted, small enough as to be in perfect scale (an average root could represent a 3cm wide stick) and it is not just a long straight stick. So perfect for modeling :smug:
    Here there's an example of usage in a Spanish page
    http://erminiatures.foroactivo.com/t823-tutorial-pap-escenario-robin-hood
    You guys can use our friend Google to translate it :p