1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Red or Orange Shield? Including Pictures

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Pussel, Nov 27, 2009.

?

Which color looks best on the shields?

1. Red

11 vote(s)
    40.7%
  2. Orange

16 vote(s)
    59.3%
  1. Pussel
    Skink

Pussel New Member

Hello everyone. I am progressing with my sarus warriors. Last time I posted I had painted 3 without shields and now I have painted 10 with shields. Only six left ;) keep in mind that this is the first warhammer regiment I've painted, besides a couple a long time ago as a kid.

Anyway, I had a question. What do you guys think about using orange instead of the standard red color on their shields? I think it works and actually lifts up the turqouise skins/scales better than the red ones. But I'm not complete sure yet, therfor I want your opinions.

Have a great weekend!

_mg_3332_62513746.jpg
    Red VS Orange

_mg_3342_62513757.jpg
    This is my first shields, used standard red but as you can see I didn't exactly follow the instructions on the painting provided at games-workshops website, and the result wasn't quite what I had expected. They are good enough for me though.

_mg_3341_62513751.jpg
    This is the ones I made today. I noticed while dyebrushing them with orange before I add darker colors in the middle of the scales that it actually looked kind of neat.

2. Eternity_Warden
    Terradon

Eternity_Warden New Member

I have never liked the way red shields or crests look on blue saurus, the very ugly red-crested GW saurus unit was actually the reason I didn't go with Lizzies as my first army...

So I think the orange looks great, very jungle-y :smug:

3. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Hmm in the first pic I like the orange better,but with the lineup I prefer the red ones. The orange makes them look very pale. They both look good though.

4. Pussel
    Skink

Pussel New Member

Yes I think it is the flash from the camera that makes them melt into the white background a bit

5. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

You could use different shield colors on different units to set them apart from each other... In other words, I like both. :pompus:

6. Pussel
    Skink

Pussel New Member

Yes that is probably a good idea, I have seen the responses and me (and my girlfriend too ^^) was leaning towards orange for this unit. I think that will be my call, thanks for the participation I will keep you updated as soon as I finish the regiment!

This monday is the last day I can order without paying for the shipping from games-workshop, so I think I will either buy a unit of skinks and a priest as general. Or replace the skinks with a jungle swarm and a razor-lizzy as I then have two core-units and can go directly to painting rare/specials :D

Any suggestions?

7. Aikar
    Saurus

Aikar New Member

I would take the red ones as I did, mostly because you can highlight them to a very top degree even ending on yellow and that really adds great detail and contrast imo.

Check mines, mainly followed GW steps but adding more depth with 2 extra red coats and in special chars like champion even a yellow dot at the very highest lights.

Notice of the orange bordering and bubonic brown ending light detail at the corners and prominent parts of the scales:

Hope it helps!

8. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

May be too late, but you can always order from Maelstrom Games with free shipping (worldwide) and 12% off UK prices.... *Cough* I suggest you just buy the models you really like the look of.

9. bryanabbo
    Saurus

bryanabbo New Member

total wargamer.uk has 15 percent off

10. Pussel
    Skink

Pussel New Member

I would just like to update how my work is going.

I am currently slowly beginning to move to a bigger apartment, (at last, painting at the TV/dinner/only table in the flat was not really that nice. Soon I will be able to dedicate a whole table to warhammer and warhammer alone ;) )

Anyway, yesterday my skink priest and my razordon arrived, and there is only three units left in my saurus regiment, so hopefully I will be able to finish them soon. I'll upload the results as soon as they are ready.

11. SlannOfItza
    Kroxigor

SlannOfItza New Member

IDK about UK prices or whatever...

But "CCGarmory.com" is at least 20% off year-round, with free-shipping in the US and free-shipping anywhere else for purchases over $75.00 or $100.00 I don't totally remember. They sell games workshop models for so cheap that GW said their not allowed to sell them online, so as a loop-hole they sell them through phone - email - or fax.

Some examples;

Stegadon - $32.00

Lizardmen Battalion Box - $72.00

Slann-Mage Priest - $28.00

Kroq-Gar on Carnosaur - $36.00

Some other examples that really caught my eye;

Vampire Counts Blood Knights - $60.00 (over the retail of $90.00)

Battle for Skull Pass - $72.00

Empire Steam Tank - $52.00

Dark Elf Malekith on Black Dragon - $46.20

High Elf Lord of Dragon - $36.00

Just awesome prices in general... :D