1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Redoing my Lizardmen army! Updated with MORE skinks!

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Mook, Mar 17, 2015.

1. GhostWarrior
    Cold One

GhostWarrior Member

Mook,

Consider your Conversion idea for the Priest stolen - love it!

On the Cold One Rider, I too have been having similar issues regarding color combinations. The problem is that there are 2 lizards (rider, mount) both of which have a hard scaly shell and a soft underbelly. My overall color scheme for the army focuses on the Purple/Green/Orange portion of the color wheel, and I just cant seem to get the CoR's right. Perhaps lightening the underbelly of the CO more to a fleshy or yellow color? Seems like it is too muted right now.

Btw, the execution for the model (especially the rider) is spot on. Love his coloring, and quality of completion for the scales, skin and armor! Well done.

2. Mook
    Skink

Mook Member

Thanks alot guys, glad you like!

For the Skink rider im thinking green skin and bluescales and ofcourse a gold gelmet with red gems for the eyes/gems.

And thanks for all the advice im getting, really helping me move forward =)

3. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Sounds good Mook, I'm like you loads of things going on at once and none finished but I am nearing the end on my skinks!

Mook likes this.
  4. Xlanax_lot
    Troglodon

Xlanax_lot Well-Known Member

Models looking awesome as allways man! @Mook

Mook likes this.
  5. Mook
    Skink

Mook Member

@Crowsfoot haha yes i prefer it that way, the whole army evolving and moving forward as a whole, great to hear about you progress! I have also started my skinks, all 40 of them haha!

@Xlanax_lot Hey Buddy! Long time no see, glad to see you still around! Thanks alot dude, means alot coming from the guy with the best painted LM army out there :D

6. Mook
    Skink

Mook Member

Not painting related but... My Lizards won there first game last night, wohoo!

Played two games against a very good player with a bad ass Ogre army, he won the first game where we rolled random deployment, screwed my gameplan completly, leaving my templeguard and slann alone on one flank facing mournfang ogres... It was a massacre loss for the lizards... Then we rolled battle for the pass wich i won, it was his first loss with his ogres after 10+ games with them, YUM!

Felt very good, even if the game started with my slann misscasting first turn, Killing 21 templeguard!! Brutal.

Playing games realy helps motivating the painting side of things, so of to the painting desk!

/out

7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Never gamed but Im going to play a small battle with my 8 year old son this week, he is painting is own High Elves Army!

8. Mook
    Skink

Mook Member

Sounds awesome crow! My own son who is five is also painting with me, hes to Young to play but that day will come (i hope haha!)

9. Mook
    Skink

Mook Member

Finnished a unit of skinks, did these in one sitting last night without a colourscheme in mind so they turned out like this haha, over all pretty pleased. Just need to add some grass flock and paint their nails (noticed after pics were tagen...grrrr.) image.jpg image.jpg

Agrem and n810 like this.
  10. Crowsfoot
    Slann

How long is one session?

I managed to get the gold done on 10 temple guard and that was a 3 hr sitting.

They look amazing Mook

11. Chicken Lips
    Carnasaur

Chicken Lips Well-Known Member

They look really good! That certainly is a different color scheme, but I works. I like the subtle change in color of the scales and the green wash! The eyes are very interesting too! You are awarded a Spiderman! :spiderman:

12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Very nice job on the skinks. They look sinister; ready to take down the warm-bloods.

13. Mook
    Skink

Mook Member

@Crowsfoot total time for these took about 6 hours, wouldhave gone faster if i had a colourscheme ready to follow, i always paint min 10 minis at a time, and im sloppy so i usualy drybrush and wash/glaze alot, glad you like them!

@Chicken Lips @NIGHTBRINGER thanks guys, apreciate it alot :D

14. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

You're faster than me.
    (take me all week to do 10)
    ok maybe 6 man/hours total ...

15. Agrem
    Kroxigor

Agrem Active Member

Holy shhhhh......kink. I really like what you have done with the models. I got to say that those are some of the finest skinks I have seen so far. Keep up the good work.

There is just one critique I have for you on your project. I see that most of the models are either washed or dipped. Which does look great. Unfortunately I feel that your slann (which is the centerpiece of most of the lizardmen armies) doesn't really meet your other work. Dont't get me wrong, the model looks great but looking at your other stuff I feel that it doesn't really get up to the same level. :)

Looking forward seeing more of your models.

BR
    Agrem

16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Really? I feel that the Slann looks really good. Excellent use of colour and shading.

17. Mook
    Skink

Mook Member

@Agrem i see your point and all critique is good critique, thats what i want :D. I am using different styles and colourschemes (wich you will see on my next skink batch haha) , there will be many other since this has become a very experimental army for me, testing out different colour schemes and teqhniques then not caring to much (always my problem) if they match the rest of the army :D

Its very nice to just grab 10 models, paint them however i want then paint 10 models completly different the next day, and with Lizardmen i see that totaly working, this will be a colorbomb of an army, in contrast to my very grim and dark VC army ;).

Thanks for the kind words and also for speaking up, apreciate it!

18. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Thats what I love about LM you have no colour restrictions.

19. Mook
    Skink

Mook Member

Whipped togheter another batch of skink skirmishers with a wierd colour scheme, now im thinking about maybe do two more of these units with yet another different colour scheme and just mix them all togheter ;)

Any advice on the next 2x10? Thinking blue bodies with red heads/mid scales and the fourth batch yellow bodies with green heads/mid scales. Im having fun with these :D

image.jpg image.jpg

20. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Look great Mook, you could reverse the colour scheme to complement the ones you have done

So red body blue crest, green body purple crest, then they will all look coherent on the table

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015