1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing Hardened Superglue

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by TheSkeptic, May 15, 2017.

1. TheSkeptic
    Chameleon Skink

TheSkeptic Active Member

So, basically, I recently acquired an old oxyotl model. He came to me in pretty bad shape (Neither of the arms were properly in their sockets, there were tonnes of extra little metal bits, a foot was bent upward somehow, and the previous owner hadn't taken the metal tabs off either arm. There was also a lot of extra bits I had to scrape off), and while I've mostly fixed him up and gotten rid of all the excess bits (I accidentally took off that ring on his head and I had to damage one of his feet a bit to get it into a decent shape, but y'know, omelettes, eggs, breaking), but I'm presented with a bit of a dilemma, in that his arm sockets are totally filled with fully hardened superglue. I'm pretty new to the hobby, so I have no idea what good ways there are to dissolve superglue when it's like this. I tried going at it with a knife, but that didn't work at all, so I'm at a bit of a loss. So, I come to you all to ask: How do I dissolve hardened superglue?

Bowser likes this.
  2. Jason839
    Salamander

Jason839 Well-Known Member

You could try Simple Green or whatever product you use to strip paint off your miniatures. Often that causes the glue to break down and might make it easier to remove.

TheSkeptic and Bowser like this.
  3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Metal models are very easy to restore. Soak him in nail polish remover (never do this with plastic models though!). Leave it overnight and by morning the hardened super glue should have become soft and gummy. You can then simply remove it using dental tools or carefully with a hobby knife.

4. TheSkeptic
    Chameleon Skink

TheSkeptic Active Member

Might have to go on an excursion to the mall to acquire some nail polish remover, but otherwise sounds like it'd work Nightbringer. Thanks!

NIGHTBRINGER and Bowser like this.
  5. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

You can also try sticking him in the freezer for a bit,
    the cold makes the supper glue more brittle.
    and then you can try and pry off the arm with like
    a dull knife blade wedged in the joint.

sometimes it works.

Bowser likes this.
  6. Winky
    Jungle Swarm

Winky New Member

Super clean or purple power will weaken glue. It's also a good stripper.

Bowser likes this.
  7. DeadlyRecluse
    Chameleon Skink

DeadlyRecluse Well-Known Member

Metal models are pretty tough so I tend to use the most aggressive water soluble solvent I have in the house when stripping or removing glue. I've had great success with both 99% isopropyl alcohol and nail polish remover, even brake cleaner can work in a pinch if your prepared to do a good bit of rinsing before priming. I would rinse them regardless of whatever you use as not all nail polish removers are equal, and some leave behind a film or other chemicals that can mess with your priming

NIGHTBRINGER and Bowser like this.
  8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Good advice. I always rinse in water afterwards and I've never experienced a problem.

DeadlyRecluse and Bowser like this.