1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Removing thick paint

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Gexmofia, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Gexmofia
    Skink

Gexmofia New Member

A few years past i heard some guys talk about removing thick paint off of models and the best way to do it is to let them soak in bleach

Can anyone confirm this?

2. slannfrog
    Cold One

slannfrog Member

read this.
    http://www.lustria-online.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1778

3. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

I've never used bleach before, but I often use Pine Sol. It works pretty well, as long as you soak your models in it for a really long time.

4. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

There are lots of different things to try, I can't say I have heard of the bleach one before. I can't imagine it doing any harm so its worth a try, might have fun with the superglue as well though. Remember to do a test model first.

5. BezZeMad
    Cold One

BezZeMad Member

I personally use Dettol for stripping paint.

Just leave the model in overnight and then attack the mini with an old toothbrush.

Remember to use washing up gloves though as Dettol can make hands rather... flaky.

hope this helps, Bez

P.S. Don't know if Dettol is availible on your side of the World pond though,

P.P.S. Dettol also works for plastic minis, although I have never tried painting one after giving them a 'Bath'.

6. Scarloc
    Chameleon Skink

Scarloc New Member

I use simple green to remove my paint, it works on plastic and metal models. Just let it soak for 2-3 days and then go at them with an old toothbrush.

7. Gexmofia
    Skink

Gexmofia New Member

Thanks guys for the ideas. I tried the bleach and it did work but it took like almost 2 weeks and the plastic model seems more flexible which i dont think is good haha.

The next time im out ill ask a bud to pick up that green stuff because im banned from my home hardware store :shifty:

8. strewart
    OldBlood

LMAO that is sure to be a good story, willing to tell us why? :p

9. Gexmofia
    Skink

Gexmofia New Member

ok well a while ago i was trying to make a pipe bomb and some of the ingredients to a pipe bomb is soildox (a weilding thing) and sodium nitrate (what they use in dynamite). So i walk in the store and ask the niciest guy i could find where to find my supplies. At first he tells me without hesitation and then as I am paying for it the same guy i asked for the supplies walks up to me. He looked really nervous and asked me why i need that set of things, so i tell him that my dad is a weilder and he needs to weld a..... door! (l0l). Then my friend outloud said that we can trust him and thats its part of a pipe bomb.. So the once "nice guy" grabbed the stuff out of my bag as if i was being mugged and out of no where came this sylvester stallone scream telling us to sit down. And to a conclusion the dude stole my 15$ worth of stuff and he gave me a 2 year ban from home depot :depressed:

10. slannfrog
    Cold One

slannfrog Member

And he should. how old are you anyways? building pipe-bombs now-n-days? you're lucky you JUST got banned from the store.

11. Gexmofia
    Skink

Gexmofia New Member

i am 16, Back then i never really knew what a full size pipe bomb could do so i was surprised when he gtfo me. But NOW i can see that it can colaspse whole buildings and terrosrists mainly use pipe bombs i heard.

12. strewart
    OldBlood

Lol good times. You need to be extremely careful messing around with energetic materials or even just highly flammable stuff. I was kinda dissapointed a couple of months ago when I got a licence to purchase explosives (for uni) but then realised any of the 'fun' things I could have done were pretty dangerous and, lets face it, less fun than igniting things with high powered lasers at uni. :)

13. Barotok
    Terradon

Barotok New Member

I like watching explosives just as much as the next guy in town, but seriously, what were you thinking? A pipe bomb? I don't have enough fingers and toes to name the conflicts that have happened and are happening in different countries around the world where these weapons are used. I don't think I'd whine about getting 'mugged' for $15 worth of materials considering you probably should have been arrested and thrown in jail. I agree 100% with Slannfrog, you're lucky. Any time I've seen kids mix with anything explosive (from dry ice to cherry bombs and worse) I've always seen them or some innocent bystander get hurt.

Sorry if I come across opinionated, it's not intended to step on anyone elses point of view.

14. Gexmofia
    Skink

Gexmofia New Member

I agree 100% with you Barotok with everything you say, the guy that freaked out was probbaly doing the right thing and i was lucky receiving the consenquences that i did and not others.

When i do dangerous stuff i always go to my moms 60 sum acers of land in the middle of nowhere and in a very safe place. When i egnite stuff i use a fuse long that leads to my lookout to the reaction area so that i dont have to run. My lookout is a roof thing for the back part of a truck and is cememented into the ground, and the top and sides have this black rough stuff sprayed on it, my dad said it would make it non flamamble and more durable.

And depending on the experiment is how far we move the reaction area back, ive moved it anywhere from 2 meters to close to i think 40 meters. But my main cost overhead is fuse, ive spent over 200$ on that soildly.

Im proud and happy to say that i have never had a close call with my hobby but i do have awesome stories. I think im very safe and that my territory is planned out nicely so the chances of mistake are close to non :). I havent been doing it for all that long so hopefully ill be safe in the future and wont try a flourine experiment he he..

I may have gone too deep into this disscusion considering this is a lizardmen forum lmao

15. Dumbledore
    Ripperdactil

Dumbledore New Member

blablabla naughty naughty blabla...

A pipe bomb sounds jokes, I went to the states to see some family and my cousin was the one who entertained me. Entertaining me consisted of running round the local suburbs at night blasting out illegal fireworks followed by running home as fast as we could when we heard police sirens (which inevitably always happened). The highlight was when my cousin got his hands on a tiny amount of wet start industrial explosive and we blew up a large compost heap with it.

Go for that kind of fun. Pick up the idea and run with it, just watch your fingers.

(...moral highground indignation blabla... emotional rant about warzones blabla)