1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Returning to the fold

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Dancing with Saurus, Nov 23, 2012.

1. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

Damn, this site needs a "like" button like Facebook :)

2. Dancing with Saurus
    Skink

Dancing with Saurus New Member

Alan the Slann is almost complete (I've just got the base to finish). I'm pretty pleased with how he's turned out especially the orange because I thought it would be a nightmare on a black basecoat. Alan is limbering up for next weekend's opening skirmish with my mate's High Elves :rage: .

Slaan1_zps8e38c926.jpg

Slann2_zps8abb1a05.jpg

Slaan3_zps0c601668.jpg

3. CaptainKirk
    Saurus

CaptainKirk New Member

Wow your Slann looks amazing! I really like the colors on his Palanquin!

4. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Oh wow thats the best Panaquin I have seen in a very long time. :jawdrop:

5. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Absolutely fantastic. The palanquin looks stunning. Wow, the more I look at it, the more I think I'm going to have to repaint my palanquin.

The slann has a lot of depth, well painted. I like the horizontal slashes across his skin as highlights. What do you call that technique?

One thing is, Alan's little Buddy is very dark on both sides. Maybe his fin could be a little brighter?

6. Dancing with Saurus
    Skink

Dancing with Saurus New Member

@CaptainKirk - Thanks for the great comment! I decided I wanted the palanquin to be an ivory one to match some of my armies sandy colours. The colours weren't really planned I started painting one of the arm rests and didn't really have an idea of how the colours would continue over the rest of the piece.

@N810 - That's really high praise many thanks. It did take a long time and actually the amount I could paint dropped because it involved quite a lot of concentration. There's not a lot of shading on the on the palanquin itself (vines excluded) which could have got a bit messy.

@Old mossy - Repaint your palanquin!? Wow.

I don't know if there's a name for the 'line technique' but in my mind I was thinking that the Slann's skin might be taught and stretched from holding his sizeable stomach in place.

More typically I would have used the centre of the stomach as an area to highlight gradually getting brighter in the centre but that didn't seem to fit once I painted the rest of the sandy middle section.

I think you're right about Alan's little buddy (lol - love it!). I wanted him to be dark and a little bit melevolent and freakish looking i.e. don't mess with this little dude because he'll claw your eyes out. your comments chimed with what I was thinking so I've actually gone back to him gone a bit lighter in the shading and repainted his fin yellow. He's also now got blue buboes which looks better than it sounds. I'll post another photo once I've completed the base so you can see the changes.

- - - -

Thanks again for all the great comments. I think he's probably one of the best things i've painted and he was definitely a bit of stretch.

Next up are my cold ones (I may end up gaming with riderless cold ones but i'm sure my opponent will allow it), my converted Salamander from months ago plus some crew. At this point i'll be pushing a 1200/1300 pt army (if a bit illegal) which is reasonably balanced. The next really exciting project is my Steggie :D .

Ta,
    DWS