1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Returning to the game, looking for advice

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by noxdryas, Jun 17, 2017.

1. noxdryas
    Jungle Swarm

noxdryas New Member

Hello everybody,

I'm returning to the game after a decade or so of not playing and have decided to brush the dust off my old Lizardmen army. Much has changed since I last played (many new factions and units, allegiances, the ability to deploy mixed armies, Lizardmen are now Seraphon and have different rules, etc.) and I was hoping you guys could offer suggestions of effective 500-2k point armies I can deploy using the models I have with minimal investment into new ones.

Here are the models I have (I "translated" the old Lizardmen units into their current Seraphon equivalent as needed):

Slann Starmaster x 1
    Saurus Oldblood x 1 (maul and shield)
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One x 1 (lance and shield)
    Skink Priest x 2 (club and staff)
    Kroxigor x 3 (2 with mauls, 1 with Moonhammer)
    Saurus Knight x 8 (7 with lances, 1 with standard)
    Saurus Warriors x 21 (19 with clubs, 1 with instrument, 1 with standard)
    Skink x 44 (23 with javelin and shield, 20 with boltspitter and club, 1 with boltspitter and shield)

Here are some armies I've come up with using these models:

500 Point Army
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One (100)
    Skink Priest (100)
    10 Saurus Warriors (100)
    5 Saurus Knights (120)
    10 Skinks (80)

500/500 points

1000 Point Army
    Saurus Oldblood (100)
    Skink Priest (100)
    10 Saurus Warriors (100)
    10 Saurus Warriors (100)
    5 Saurus Knights (120)
    3 Kroxigors (180)
    20 Skinks (160)

960/1000 points

1500 Point Army (basically just deploying all the units I own, I know this list is probably the weakest/least focused and I won't be using this outside of extremely casual, getting-back-into-the-game games)
    Slann Starmaster (260)
    Saurus Oldblood (100)
    Skink Priest (100)
    Skink Priest (100)
    10 Saurus Warriors (100)
    10 Saurus Warriors (100)
    30 Skinks (240)
    10 Skinks (80)
    5 Saurus Knights (120)
    3 Kroxigors (180)

1480/1500 points

A couple questions and comments I have:

1. Skinks- I've read through some of the posts here and have noticed that people who are looking for cheap/effective starter armies are often advised to run a skink army- is this something I should look into? Also, I've noticed most of the army lists here run skinks with boltspitters and shields- should I try to convert all my skinks into boltspitter/shield users? Or can skinks wielding boltspitter/club or javelin/shield be as effective as their boltspitter/shield variants if used properly?

2. Leader- I would like to run my Slann at some point, but from what I understand, he is not optimal in sub-2000 point games. That said, I've seen many lists here sporting a Battlemage as a wizard leader. What advantages does a Battlemage offer over a Slann that makes them so popular?

3. Moving forward- Eventually, I'd like to be able to field effective 1.5-2k (or higher) point armies. To this end, I plan on purchasing some new models to add to my collection, but would prefer not to have to break the bank in doing so (unfortunately, that means nothing like Celestial Hurricanum). From what I've read here, it seems like Bastiladons and Chameleon skinks are two types of units that can find homes in a wide variety of Seraphon army types, and the ranged damage would be nice to have alongside my currently melee heavy set-up. EotG and Troglodons could be good, if I decide to run with the Slann... any form of artillery or behemoth could be a welcome addition. All the new starhostsAt any rate, it's a little overwhelming because I'm tempted to go out and buy all of them, but I must resist. So, for you veteran Seraphon generals out there, what do you think is the cheapest way for me to put together an effective 1.5-2k army by adding to the models I already have?

I know this has been a bit long-winded, but thanks for bearing with me and thanks for the suggestions!