1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Ripperdactyl Riders vs Terradon Riders

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Snoopdeville3, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

In my experience there's usually some opening, that lets you strike with your rippers since turn 1.
    BUT yes, it's absolutely possible to face a smart opponent, that protects the key units and doesn't let you target 'em with Death from above.

In that case, it can be difficult to wait for a better chance, because units move, the toad is not so quick, and you risk to lose your precious rage... sometime, it could be better to go for a secondary (but still worthwhile) target.

Example: I've got 3 rippers, and I would like to kill Settra, but he's shielded by a unit of 3 (or even 4) chariots. I cannot wait, because when the Tomb Kings will start to move, my toad will stay far behind, so i charge the chariots: not an optimal target, but I'm still going to gain something, in terms of inflicted wounds

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    Bainbow likes this.
  2. Snoopdeville3
    Razordon

Snoopdeville3 Well-Known Member

Awesome advice guys. I definitely need to pick up the Seraphon Book. To many formations I dont know about!

3. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

Otzi'mandias Well-Known Member

I would do terradons - the rock-dropping ability is hilarious on units, especially units that you fly over to get to something else. The bolas are useful for ranged and melee combat (I assume that you can use them in combat during the shooting phase as it gives no minimum range) and they make excellent harassers.

However from what youve said, the rippers would be better for u as they are vicious in close combat. Shooting is ok, but the real strength to them is area denial. Stick a blot toad in the middle of a zone where you dont want the enemy to go and have a unit of maybe 5 rippers ready to swoop down and shred anything that comes near.

This will be the most useful thing for your army I think, but dont immediately dismiss terradons. It might be worth getting a unit of each as they are so different to each other. Its so hard to tell which is best when you have no scenario in front of you - just go with your gut (and pay attention to anything @Bainbow, @StealthKnightSteg and @Phoedinn say - they know what they're on about, trust me)

4. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Bainbow Well-Known Member

Rippers are beasts in combat, but a defensive army doesn't need any more melee. Shooters would be more valuable to add a level of support.

Snoopdeville3 likes this.
  5. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Phoedinn Well-Known Member

Bainbow and SteakthKnightSteg yes....but I'm just newish guy who doesn't know when to shut up! Ignore everything I say unless backed up by someone else :p

StealthKnightSteg likes this.
  6. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

StealthKnightSteg Well-Known Member

Crowsfoot likes this.
  7. Snoopdeville3
    Razordon

I have 6 that I can make... I like the idea of being able to shred things in melee but also having the ranged ability. I guess we will have to see! Thanks again all! This is very helpful!

8. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

My knowledge is only about painting I'm a complete novice at AOS

9. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I have 3 of each as well, just for the option of using either unit, plus they are great models.

10. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Phoedinn Well-Known Member

Yeah, for a small army (50-60ish wounds) 3 seams to be plenty in the games I play. Plus they are pretty easy to summon. If you do decide to use rippers though try to set them up instead of summoning as you can't set up the Toad for summoned units.

11. Snoopdeville3
    Razordon

Good point! I may make one of each. We usually do 75 wound games. I cant start he rippers off and summon teradons need be. I dunno lol still undecided but we will see!

12. Killer Angel
    Slann

I have been summoned by the Steg's engine! :p

The good thing with small armies, is that it's harder to defend from rippers... and 3 of them can shred to pieces a unit.
    If you lose 9 wounds of rippers, and the enemy loses 20 wounds of a unit, on a total of 50, you are at a good point.
    That said, yes, you need to field a unit of rippers to place the toad. But every summoned ripper will benefit from the toad, so, if you plan to have rippers, you must have a unit of them since the beginning.

13. Snoopdeville3
    Razordon

Sounds good I will take your advice!

14. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

Otzi'mandias Well-Known Member

The only problem I have found is that the wings end up a bit flat - paint wise. But hey, maybe im just doing it wrong :p

15. Hero606v2
    Skink

Hero606v2 New Member

I've used the Shadowstrike Starhost with the Rippers but also use a Skink Chief and try to get him nearby to the unit I want to obliterate.
    2+ with reroll to hit
    2+ with reroll to wound

Last two games played had them inflict 291 & 381 hits on the first turn. I don't bring that one out in friendly games anymore.

16. Killer Angel
    Slann

Rippers are nasty, but there are a couple of things I don't understand, here.

How do you get +2 to hit and wound? Shouldn’t it be "only" +1 +1?

Secondly, be careful : you can activate the chief ability during the hero phase, and it works on a skink unit within 10 "
    ... if you're using the formation, the rippers are hidden in the clouds: they're not on the battlefield, so they’re not an eligible target for the chief's command ability.

17. Snoopdeville3
    Razordon

Is there any rule that specifically says they cannot be a target of a spell when they are in the clouds?

18. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Bainbow Well-Known Member

They're off the board, there are no spells capable of affecting anything off the board.

19. Snoopdeville3
    Razordon

Oooo gotcha thqnks

20. Snoopdeville3
    Razordon

Wait is this some kind of formation that they start the battle off the board?