1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. RipperDactyls.

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by VampTeddy, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Lizardmatt
    Troglodon

Lizardmatt New Member

It isn't a Clarification, it's the rule itself.
    Why would it imply anything else?
    Is the Chiefs mount a Ripperdactyl? I'll grab my rule book later and walk through it all with you.

-Matt

2. hdctambien
    Terradon

hdctambien Active Member

The second part of the rule says:

"When fighting in close combat against a unit with a blot toad marker, the Ripperdactyl's Frenzy grants it D3+1 extra Attacks, instead of just 1"

It seems to me that this is the rule for the "Blot Toad Marker" more-so than the "Toad Rage" rule. It's explaining what it means for a unit to have Blot Toad placed on it.

It also seems to say that the Blot Toad effect is tied to the Ripperdactyl's Frenzy, which is a rule that the Character Mount version does have.

However, (and this is getting pedantic) the usage of the word "the" is interesting. "The Ripperdactyl's Frenzy" seems to be referring to the frenzy of the Ripperdactyl that has the Toad Rage rule, where I would rather see it say "A Ripperdactyl's Frenzy" to refer to any ripperdactyl. Much like it says that "a blot toad" will cause the extra frenzy attacks rather than "the blot toad" which would seem to mean that Ripperdactyl units are only affected by the Blot Toad that they placed.

So, does a character mount Ripperdactyl get extra Frenzy attacks from a Blot Toad? To paraphrase former President Bill Clinton: It depends on what your definition of "the" is.

3. Lizardmatt
    Troglodon

Lizardmatt New Member

Which is why I would like to see it FAQ'd. If "the" is the ripper model who placed the marker, we're in trouble because the unit of Ripperdactyl riders places the marker, the model does not.
    If "the" is referring to the whole unit, then we're only gaining D3 attacks for the unit.

Or, "the" is to define that it's just the Ripperdactyl that gets the bonus attacks and re-rolls, even if the skink(s) become frenzied (berserkers sword, or lore of slaanesh can do this).

With all that said, I put my chiefs on terradons now. I don't want my chief to be forced to chase, I want to keep him close to prevent my Krox and Cohorts with Krox from being forced to chase.

-Matt

4. laribold
    Cold One

laribold Active Member

Right. I've been using Rippers for a while now since taking up Lizardmen with the new book and I like them. Sure, they can die easily without doing much, but when they do perform...wow!

Up until now I've only been running one unit of 3, but I'm tinkering with my list at the moment and have a conundrum that I can't quite work out.

I've enough points for 6 Rippers but don't know how best to allocate this. Do I go for 1x6 or 2x3?

The way I see it is...
    1x6
    Pros:
    More wounds to absorb shooting/damage on the way in.
    More likely to remain effective in combat after initial attacks.
    8th edition seems to reward bigger units as they are more likely to hold onto their VPs

Cons:
    Large unit with a fair amount of points in it.
    One bad frenzy role/pursue could see them out of position.

2x3
    Pros:
    Double the toad markers make it less obvious where each unit is heading
    More units mean opponent can't concentrate on one until and will have to split fire to deal with them both
    With two units, at least one is likely to get through to the target
    More deployment drops with vanguard.
    More chance of getting into a flank.

Cons:
    Less able to take damage and still be useful.
    More easily destroyable and therefore give up their VPs
    More difficult to keep both within Ld bubble to control frenzy

I was hoping that writing it out would help me make a decision one way or the other... but it hasn't really!

So, any thoughts suggestions on the 1x6 or 2x3 debate, people?

Ta!

5. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

yup ..go 3 units.

They are frenzied so they dont care for panic tests
    if its 3X3 or 2 units of 4 or 5 dosnt matter pointvise, its just an advantage for you to have more depoyments
    and things to move around.

aslo:
    you get more toadmarkers.