1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Have you ever felt that your miniature cabinet is missing something? Don't fret, we have you covered.

Take a look at the awesome bust's offered by 3DArtDigital, they will look awesome on display.

Click here for more information.

Dismiss Notice

Blog Road to Golden Demon 2019

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by neveroddoreven, Apr 17, 2019 at 6:53 AM.

1. neveroddoreven
    Chameleon Skink

neveroddoreven Well-Known Member

Oh boy, exciting times. I've got tickets to Warhammer Fest, my hotel's booked, so that could only mean one thing - I'm returning to Golden Demon. Yikes! I've got about a 23 day deadline, and a budget of £0. I've given up video games and sleeping and fatigue is now starting to set in. So I'm starting this blog to hopefully keep my morale up as I work every possible hour I can to get done on time.
    I'm aiming at doing three entries this time. The last time I entered was 2011 and 2012 and I submitted two entries each time.

Let's start with some lizardy goodness. The catergory is Age of Sigmar unit, and this entry is a scaled-down version of a passion project I've had on the backburner for a couple of years. It's a skirmish warband on a display base ideally open enough to use in a variety of games, Frostgrave and mordheim for example. There'll be an Oldblood, a Priest, and four Skinks. The colours are based on their portrayal in Total War Warhammer 2.

Saurus Oldblood.jpg
    This guy was already done, and I've shown him before. I'm really satisfyed with how it turned out, on a technical level it's the best thing I've ever painted, so he's definately going in.

Skink1.jpg
    The first Skink came together really fast, it only took me two days to do. In the game the blowpipes are much larger and held with both hands and I really liked the way that looked so I did it.

Skink2.jpg
    Alough I have the colour formula and method nailed down now, I just can't resist experimenting. So we have black extremities on this one. I think it needs a second pass, to look a little more mottled and less obviously painted.

Skink Progress.jpg
    The others are yet to be done. The brown parts on the one on the right are what the white scales look like before they look white. He'll end up just like the first one with the blowpipe. As for the other one, I'm still undecided so I'm leaving it to last. I was thinking a paler light blue, but that might make him look too seperated from the rest. Needs some more thought.

Would love to show more, but I'm going to get back to it.

Warden, Aginor, NIGHTBRINGER and 7 others like this.
  2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Wow, I hope you win something your effort deserves it :)

Schwaaah likes this.
  3. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Bastiladon

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

:eek: I'm in awe and bow before the lord of awesomely painted models.

Good luck and may your fatigue pass.

Schwaaah likes this.
  4. ravagekitteh
    Stegadon

ravagekitteh Well-Known Member

Absolutely astonishing! That’s an incredible level of skill, you definitely deserve to win for that! Phenomenal!

Schwaaah likes this.
  5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Good luck in the Golden Daemon competition. You've got some stunning models!

6. Acrocanth
    Kroxigor

Acrocanth Well-Known Member

They're looking phenomenal, hang in there and maybe get a little more sleep :p

7. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Awesome!
    Good luck getting that Demon!

8. neveroddoreven
    Chameleon Skink

neveroddoreven Well-Known Member

Plenty of time for sleep later, for now I have coffee!

3rd Skink is done, got some time off work so I'm focussing on the Priest now. There's a dilemma to solve with that but I'll address it later.
    Here's the display base so far, mostly done but I might add in some more vegetation like a bigger plant or more vines. Mostly milliput and cereal box card.
    See all the green stuff plants and leaves? You know when you're working with green stuff and you always have a little left over? I sculpt little plants and dead leaves onto an expired bank card, then pop them off and use them on bases.
    Display Base Progress.jpg

9. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I can almost see how awesome this will become already! :)

10. Warden
    Skink Priest

Warden Well-Known Member

Looking forward to see this done!