1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saddest moment in any book, tv show or game you have played/read/watched

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Xholankha the lost one, Jun 22, 2016.

1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I was totally unprepared for this level of sadness when I first sat down to watch this...

Bowser and Y'ttar Scaletail like this.
  2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

And here is some pretty heavy s#*$ when watching from a young kid's perspective...

Bowser likes this.
  3. Bluefire
    Cold One

Bluefire Well-Known Member

Game you say?

Pokémon mystery dungeon : Explorers of time. Grovyle. Sweet mother of Sotek, that was sad.

Bowser likes this.
  4. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

Otzi'mandias Well-Known Member

The saddest thing I've ever seen was at part of a play I went to watch. I forget what it was called (EDIT - the Madness Musical) but it's all about the two different paths leading from a choice the main character makes - run away from the police and abandon his girlfriend to get arrested, or stay and take the blame for her. Throughout the whole thing, his dead dad is watching what he is doing and commenting.
    At the very end, the main character from the "Good choice" (facing the music) stops and talks with his dead dad.
    DAD: Son, I have to go now. Look after your mother.
    MAIN CHARACTER: Ok, dad. I love you.

It's really short and underplayed, but it had me in tears. It was a great play.

Bowser likes this.
  5. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

Jeez @NIGHTBRINGER are you TRYING to make me cry at work? My wife and I watched Up one boring day thinking "Pixar movies are always good for a chuckle and an interesting story". I don't think I've ever been so sad in my entire life. I've been less sad at relative's funerals.

Another sad moment in fiction was when my wife and I saw a theatre production of The Secret River - a story about white settlement in Australia and the settler's interaction with Aboriginals in the Hawksbury area. The exact story is fictional, but it was based off events that actually happened not too far from where I live (well about 50km, but in Australia distance that counts as "around the corner"). Lets say the settlers were a pack of [insert tirade of curse words here]. Very very sad story about some of the more shameful aspects of Australian history.

Bowser and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I had no idea what I was in for either. I was completely surprised. It's amazing how they were able to generate such a strong emotional reaction with only a few minutes of screen time.

Bowser likes this.
  7. Rednax
    Cold One

Rednax Active Member

I feel like this is breaking the serious tone of the conversation but I'm going to say it anyway.

My eyes moisten just a little whenever bacon runs out. :(

8. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I recently read something super sad. Brace yourselves:

Paradoxical Pacifism and Rednax like this.
  9. Paradoxical Pacifism
    Skink Chief

Paradoxical Pacifism Well-Known Member

A kamikaze pilot's internal battle

The Cockpit (1997)

10. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

My goal is to have my work make people's lists....and drink their delicious tears.

Dogs are the closest thing we can find on this Earth to truly know unconditional love. Dogs are the best way to make tear jerkers. Saddest example I know is Futurama's "Jurassic Bark." I tried to emulate thi

Game of Thrones had lots of tragic deaths, but Game of Thrones, seasons 4 and 5 had the most tear jerkers for me, and it's where the series as a whole peaked in my opinion.

When Lady Breanne left for vengeance 30 seconds before Sansa lit her candle for help in the context of all the unspeakably awful things that happened to her.

When Danyrs had to chain her dragons.

When Tyrion had his heart broken again and killed both his lover and his father.

When Jon was betrayed by the Night's Watch.

Prince Mahrlect Shireen of House Baratheon.

Dobby's death in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows was certainly sad.

Honorable mention to this scene in the 90s cartoon Reboot. Were there sadder things on TV. Yes. Were there sadder cartoons. Yes. But the amazing thing here is that Reboot started out as a super happy slapstick action show and became really dark really fast. I mean it'd be like if Scooby and the gang went to a haunted house and the fake ghost man brutally murdered Thelma.

Quasi tangent. I really liked the side character superhero, the Question, and I met him for the first time in Justice League Unlimited. The Question had a very short run of comics, and I thought, I can buy all of them in color graphic novels for about $60, so I did. It was rich in tear jerkers and mind mahrlects with just enough tiny rays of hope to keep me slogging through the misery. It's really a great inspiration for me. My comic book collection is small. For all I know that's the tip of the iceberg.

The intro to Gargoyles was pretty sad for a G rated cartoon. Beats Bambi and Lion King.

EDIT: Add an honorable mention season 1, episode 18 of Star Trek Deep Space Nine. This episode is what propelled Star Trek for me for a show that is a nice diversion to something I had to binge watch.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    Paradoxical Pacifism likes this.
  11. Y'ttar Scaletail
    Troglodon

Y'ttar Scaletail Well-Known Member

In Morkskittar's Escape from Hell Pit rpg, the players had to build a beast to be their character to escape. Fenn was originally a wolf combined with Tyranid senses, a troll's stomach, skin replaced with troll skin, and Tyranid augmented legs. Whilst not quite a dog, he was very loyal to his 'pack' (aka the other escaping beasts.) Turning a fight with what was effectively a Dark Young of Shub-Niggurath, Fenn managed to just about win at the cost of almost all of his health points. The two other beasts with him decided to abandon as another Dark Young advanced. Knowing that Fenn was probably going to die anyway and that he would try and protect the troll-vomitting mole-creature following behind...I decided to milk it for all it was worth...And to the tune of Decretum

Blood dripped on the cavern floor as Fenn panted.

His vision blurred and unblurred as images of his past and present flickered to him. Sights and sounds long forgotten now whispered to him. He felt the rough tongue of a parent smooth fur that no longer existed, he felt the blades of his master cut through his flesh, he heard the chittering of the master calling him.

He gave a deathly rattle and looked up at the last tentacled beast that circled him. For a moment he heard the chittering of a thousand beasts like him, a chitinous horde guided by a single beautiful mind. He looked side to side for them, the bones in his neck grinding painfully. Then they were silenced and he found himself very alone.

Then there came a scratching noise followed by a heave as the tentacled beast was struck by vomit. Out of the corner of his blurred eye, Fenn saw the master's mole beast attack and try to escape.

Packmate

Fenn gave a low growl and leapt forwards. He would buy time for his pack to escape.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica is quite an infamous example, it seems like a cutesy magical girl show...until the third episode. I mean...it's erm not dark at all er...you should totally get invested with the characters and their lives. :p

12. Paradoxical Pacifism
    Skink Chief

Paradoxical Pacifism Well-Known Member

Also this from Generation War.

A pretty dark three part movie that showcases the adventures of five German friends in World War two.
    Fantastic character development, and vividly shows the sufferings average Germans had to endure during this horrific time period.

13. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

When I first saw Revenge of the Sith, seeing most of the Jedi die in Order 66 and the Republic become Darth Sidious' Empire was really sad, as I grew up with Republic vs Separatists not Rebels vs Empire and was used to seeing the Jedi in their prime at that point. For a long while, that was probably the saddest moment I had seen.

Mind you, when I first went to see Rogue One at the cinema, seeing all the team die one by one was also rather sad, as you get to follow these characters as they get to know each other throughout the film and then, for me at least, it is pretty sad to see them all start getting killed off at the end, as in my view, not only were these characters original and new, they were also believable right from the start - I didn't need so-called 'character development' to provide a reason to attach myself to them because I already sympathised with them, because they were so believable. For example, I was honestly willing Baze to go on fighting and shooting the Death Troopers, to fully avenge Chirrut's death at their hands, and was pretty sad to see him take one shot too many and go down before being blown up by that frag grenade, because he failed to fully avenge his best friend's death.

Paradoxical Pacifism likes this.
  14. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Definitely up there for me:
    Sesame street: "Goodbye, Mr. Hooper"

15. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

ravagekitteh Well-Known Member

Brooks was here...