1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Salamanders, on a Budget

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Pritt, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Pritt
    Skink

Pritt Member

Thought I'd bash together some salamaders today as I had a couple of tails left over from a box of Chaos demons. I need something a bit more shooty in my army, but at £18 a model the salamanders aren't a cheap unit.

I've actually ordered a third tail, so I can get a unit of 3 salamanders. Handlers will just be normal skinks with longer spears!

20160302_180500.jpg

Started with these left over
    from the Screamers of Tzeench box, and some old "cow" cold ones

Assembled the cold ones and cut their tails about halfway up, then slightly cut down the roots of the tails to flow nicely. I also stuck some screamer bits on their heads, but wants sure about them and puled them straight back off.

PhotoGrid_1457016043620.jpg

Finished off with a bit of greenstuff to smooth it all in, and to fill the giant gaps in the old cold one models...

20160302_205714.jpg

20160302_205720.jpg

They are going to be red with orange bellies and scales, will update as I receive the third tail and get the three of them painted up!

I've been thinking about adding fins or a frill (think Dilophasaurus), but I quite like how they look as they are.

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Have you thought about adding neck frill or a dorsal sail ?

Pritt likes this.
  3. Pritt
    Skink

Pritt Member

I just edited the post to add that I was considering this, then saw this reply!

In a word, yes. Might have a go tonight.

Warden and Bowser like this.
  4. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Phoedinn Well-Known Member

Oh those are great salamander bodys! I tried using flesh hounds for mine...it became pretty tricky making them un-evil XD

5. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

This is brilliant! I was doing something similar with these "cow" cold ones! I was going to make mine razordons. (Spikes are easy;)) but still have them on the shelf. Can't wait to see yours turn out!

Pritt likes this.
  6. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

They look quite promising!

7. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

I got the feeling that people disliked the old Cowzilla Cold Ones but everyone seems rather fond of them. Personally I love them and wish we never got the Derpasaurus we have now. I'm really happy to see someone making good use out of them!

8. MomoTheKiller
    Skink

MomoTheKiller Member

If you want to get these "DILO" neck things try to make them from piece o plastic, you can use one which is in a bottle :) Just buy mineral water ;) (it's healthy) then get some green stuff, draw edges with marker or pen, add some gree stuff and done :) as reference you can take Khorne blood hounds. They are awesome as Salamanders as well, with a bit of cleaning - Khorne glyps or adding some Serpahon ones on top - which can be found in Troglodon Box (parts of glyps attached to tail)

[​IMG]