1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Salamanders

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Wolfun, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Wolfun
    Skink

Wolfun New Member

So I really don't like the Salamander models. Probably because I'm totally <3 for Dinosaurs, and the Salamander doesn't look nearly as cool as the picture in the army book.

So what do other people use/suggest for a replacement?

I was thinking of Flesh Hounds, and maybe finding some Dimetrodon toys online and putting the sail from them on the back of the hounds.

Any other suggestions?

2. Didymus
    Chameleon Skink

Didymus Active Member

How about the old salamanders? (I prefer them over the current ones)

img5550tm4.jpg

3. oldblood62
    Skink

oldblood62 Member

Those are nice lookn! I'm with you the old ones are much better!

4. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I was going to use razordons (nice models, crap rules) and add a fin along their back with greenstuff to look a bit more like sallies, then paint all the horns to be like they are on fire.

Also, 3000 posts! :meh:

5. Didymus
    Chameleon Skink

Didymus Active Member

i was considering doing the same thing, but i'd just mess it up :p

6. Xul
    Temple Guard

Xul New Member

I love the old sallies models. the new ones look like they don't misfire too often (they are skinny, as they don't eat too much) :) I just don't like the new ones.

7. Wolfun
    Skink

Wolfun New Member

I'm not nearly skilled enough to convert the razordons, even if they do look awesome.

Old Salies look good, but I like the Jurassic Park/Frilled Dragon inspired neck frill. I suppose it'd be easier to fashion one of them out of greenstuff, though...

Anywhere good to get OOP models?

8. TheRolfgar
    Chameleon Skink

TheRolfgar New Member

Ebay is a good place to get the old sallys.

Currently I bought the bodies and heads of the DE cold ones off of one of the bits sellers there. Once i get some free time I will try to convert them into sallys. If they come out terrible I'm only out 8 bucks. If they come out great I'll post a pic in the modeling forums.

:beaver:

9. eggory
    Saurus

eggory New Member

id love to see them might try something like that myself

10. Memento Mori
    Skink

Memento Mori New Member

Am I the only one that likes the new Salamander models then? lol!

Those old ones do look pretty sweet though.

oooh, are those the old jungle swarms too?

11. Overhamsteren
    Skink

Overhamsteren Member

They used to sell two kinds of blisters, serpent swarms and lizard swarms, you get the same models today but you just get a mix of serpents and lizards in the jungle swarm blister.

12. Memento Mori
    Skink

Memento Mori New Member

Sweet, just found them on the GW site. Suprisingly, they are a direct order item. (sarcasm on the last bit there, bloody GW!) ;)

13. Tomo009
    Jungle Swarm

Tomo009 New Member

Don't get the hate for the new models, look a lot better than the old ones IMO. The old salamanders have a nice sail, but their faces are atrocious, look really cartoon-y compared to the rest of the range. The new models are just missing that giant sail which would be awesome.

14. hellbreaker
    Troglodon

hellbreaker New Member

I remember the display pictures from the 7th ed army book to like the current Salamanders.
    The 3 I have (old ones) are well enough, even though I'd like a 4th. I'm a man for even numbers, and 1 does not count.

Cheers!

15. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I modified some D&D Rage Drakes by adding a sail and reapainted/rebased them.
    I think they make prety good Salies. :D

16. Khakorlot
    Saurus

Khakorlot New Member

I'm thinking about grabbing a box of flesh hounds for mine, they're scaly, have fins (albeit not the dorsal ones) and look suitably vicious.

17. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I have been planning on making a movement tray for my Salamanders for a while now. This is what I threw together last night. I took form core board and cut it out. Then I glued plasticard to the bottom to give a solid base. I still need to base them, but this is what it looks like now:

SallamanderMovementTray.jpg

The circular cut allows the salamanders to pivot for the best shot without moving them from their current location. Going forward, I would probably move the handlers back just a little bit as sometimes the salamander's tail will hit a handler when pivoting.

18. Gojira
    Cold One

Gojira New Member

Cool idea. I made my salamander base to hold 3 of them, but now I wish I had made it modular so I can run them in separate units when the comp allows. About the circular bits and the pivoting. Salamanders can't pivot before they shoot. They are stuck shooting in their forward arc and only at stuff they can see, so not really sure why you need the circles.

19. ArmyC
    Skink

ArmyC New Member

I am considering using Cold Ones as Salamanders. I'll chop the legs a bit to get them low to the ground. I could add dorsal fins, but probably won't. $20 per salamander is too expensive inho.

I already have the handlers and have more CoC than I can use.

20. powellnf
    Skink

powellnf New Member

I'm with ArmyC on this one- I just got a couple batallion boxes, but don't plan on running CoC very often and certainly not 16 of them: I plan on bulking them up a little bit, making them less lithe and agile looking, and adding dorsal sails and neck frills to make them suitably fluffy. Think of baryonyx meets spinosaurus meets dilophosaurus.

Cheers,
    Nick