1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Sallys vs Razordons

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Eyeless1, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Eyeless1
    Saurus

Eyeless1 Member

Is there a sally vs razordon thread? I searched and couldnt find one of the current edition. But is there one i didnt see?

If not, could you wise ones confer some of your knowledge to a lowly skink chief?

When would you take sallys vs razordons?

2. owain_b
    Saurus

owain_b Member

I take sallies over razordons every time. They are just so much better and work well against just about all comers. I would say I have only used razordons a couple of times since the new book and have been unimpressed both times, never disappointed with rallies though.
    Think I'd only take razordons if I was left with not enough points for a sally. Razordons May work better against something like ogres as templates don't work so well against the large bases, high toughness and multi wound ogres, but I've never played against ogres so I haven't tried using sallies against them, but I'd still be tempted as the panic check would be good against ogres low leadership

3. Agrem
    Kroxigor

Agrem Active Member

This pretty much summarizes my feelings also. In addition if you liked the salamanders in the old book you cannot but love them in this current book. I mean the S4 upgrade to the flame template is so huge bonus for them and they can tear up most of the R'n'F units now.

BR
    Agrem

4. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I think there is one but I don't know where it is.

Pros of Salamanders
    They deal more damage to most things
    They work well solo (Razordons need the buddy system)

Pros of Razordons
    They are cheaper
    They get a stand and shoot
    With their 18 inch range, they can get more shots easier, they can even shoot at things beyond their likely charge range
    They can be buffed by Hand of Glory
    Razordons can hold out well in a builidng

Put everything together I prefer Salamanders over Razordons but I will take a pair of Razordons before I purchase a third Salamander. Razordons are good at covering your other Skirmishers from enemy chaff hunters, the very same units that are good at killing Salamanders. In fact I like Salamander/Razordon teams so much that I end up rarely taking Stegadons.

Razordons tend to outperform Salamanders against Ogre armies since Ogres are hard to do lots of damage to with flame templates.

Razordons tend to outperform Salamanders against Chaos Dwarfs since most of the army gets a bonus ward save versus flaming attacks.

Razordons tend to perform equal to Salamanders against Dwarfs since it's hard to get a Salamander to line up a shot but the shots are gratifying when they work. It's easy to take down Gyrocopters with Razordons but there is little else to do with Razordons.

I would generally advise against Salamanders or Razordons against Warriors of Chaos or Vampire Counts, but that's my opinion.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  5. rantapanda
    Kroxigor

rantapanda Member

BS 3 just doesnt hit squat. Usually you are looking for move+overrange so you are hitting on sixes. May the old ones be with you if you are shooting at skirmishers. It would be tolerable if the shots were poisonous but they are not. And its hard to use them for double flee as well. Skinks outperform razordons by miles, no reason to put them on the board at all. Use Chameleons or regular core Skirmishers instead. Salamanders have their use and are pretty nice.
    I had 4 of them against Beastmen the other day (2+2). They roasted around bajillion bestigors and gors, along with fiery convocation.

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Razordons have the Quick to Fire special rule, so they are not penalized for moving and shooting.

Scalenex likes this.
  7. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Skinks tend to outshoot Razordons (though Razordons do better against armored targets), but Razordons can provide useful flank attacks. A unit of Skink skirmishers attacking a flank will feed your enemy free CR more often than not.

Course Salamanders can fight just as well, just pointing out that Razordons are not useless. Though I do agree that Skink Skirmishers tend to be a better choice since they come out of Core. I ALWAYS take Skink Skirmishers and I SOMETIMES take Razordons.

8. rantapanda
    Kroxigor

rantapanda Member

oh right my mistake