1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9th Age Saurian Ancients ETC 2016 lists

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Pinktaco, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

Attached Files:

2. Saldoravia
    Jungle Swarm

Saldoravia New Member

Pretty surprised with the frogs and warlords.. and sky-riders. Let us know how the jungle dwellers go

3. meatpop_13
    Skink

meatpop_13 New Member

What does a unit of 40 skinks and 4 kroxigor even look like in practice? Is it just 10 units wide? Or is there some other configuration I'm missing...

4. Rokanos
    Kroxigor

Rokanos Well-Known Member

Interesting lists. Seems to be some pretty common things, but each list is relatively unique. Will be interesting to see how the Ancients do.

5. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

Interesting lists. Which ones came far and which one did not really work out that well? I sortoff knew that Salamanders were undervalued, they are so good when you know how to use them. Also a lot of weird units, why would anyone field 15 Sauri in one unit? It is also interesting how many Spearbacks are fielded, i thought that they were pretty bad from just reading their rules but it seems that they are pretty decent. Anyone has any experience with using them?

6. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

These are just the list. ETC isn't until August.

It bothers me that some people see the SA army as a juicy army to play against and an army with few truly good (competitively speaking) units.
    With that said I also think our army is balanced in the way that we can no longer produce an extreme list, unlike many other armies.
    We just sit there right smack in the middle of the road. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but if all the other armies go about this with extreme builds it may be a bit of an uphill struggle to play the SA army.

Just speculations from my part though.

7. meatpop_13
    Skink

meatpop_13 New Member

Is there usually coverage of ETC? Like, can you tune in and watch it on twitch for example?

8. Haemoglobin
    Ripperdactil

Haemoglobin 9th Age Army Support

A lot of these lists really are built for ETC hence the units like 15x Sauriian Warriors and other things you probably won't really field in a singles tournament.

And Pinktaco you are absolutely right about the SA lists. SA lacks the ability to build really really hard lists. We can't make anything like the UD Terracota deathstar, the gutstar, the ghoulstar, etc etc. I prefer SA to be like this, I don't like the whole min-max thing where you put half your points in a single unit and then win due to either destroying your opponent or by preserving the unit and the points. Its a bit annoying to see how SA seem to be right in the middle but lack solutions against these kind of maxed builds.

I think that the list using the 2 large Caiman units is one of the stronger CC lists. A lot of chaff and try to nuke a target with a Caiman unit backed up with magic.

Sad to see that there isn't a single Carnosaur to be seen in the ETC lists. This does have to do with the fact that there are a lot of lists using double Warmachines etc. It is not an entirely SA problem, but more of a problem with Monsters in general.

9. Haemoglobin
    Ripperdactil

Also I am pretty sure that there will be some kind of live coverage. Not entirely sure how though as it is not finalised I think.

10. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

Tbh, i think LM has always been like that. We were sortoff the middle of the road list that could be really strong with our toolkit of a Slann that can deal with anything that is thrown against us with some skill and luck and our varied list. I always felt as if the Empire and the Lizardmen were pretty alike in our lack of really OP options while we do have variety to deal with things, and that does make this list very fun and rewarding to play if things go well. TLDR: nothing wrong with being in the middle of the pack.

11. Saldoravia
    Jungle Swarm

Saldoravia New Member

I like that we all have similar thoughts on where the SA are at the moment. I watched a stream of OnceBitten talking about their aim to reduce the use of deathstars.. maybe they're still working on it?

Haha I'm also disappointed about the lack of Carnos, nothing beats it in my mind (maybe not on the tabletop though haha)

12. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Coverage of ETC is being worked upon but it's difficult :/

I hope we can have some people on the ground doing interviews, following games etc.
    Twitch is probably not as likely..

I hope that we in the future can work more on all of that.
    Most people at ETC are there to play. It's hard to find people who are willing to go there, spend what is a short vacation doing things related with dolls. I mean, they don't exactly get payed to take the trip.

I hope it's easier for our tournament in Herfor, Germany.

13. meatpop_13
    Skink

meatpop_13 New Member

I'm not very familiar with ETC so pardon in advance if this is a noobish question - what would "built for ETC" imply? Like, what about ETC would cause a unit to be desirable in ETC but not in a normal game?

14. Saldoravia
    Jungle Swarm

Saldoravia New Member

When does the tournament start?

15. Yrtomin
    Saurus

Yrtomin Member

Etc is a team tournament, there are a whole lot of teams from around the world, with 8 players in each. This means they have more control over what army plays against what, so you can make counter armys, like armies that counter monster mash or that are built to stand as crazy armies as possible and try to tie. Basically everyone is also trying to play very safe and around objectives since no one wants to lose by too much.

16. Haemoglobin
    Ripperdactil

Sorry for the late response!

As mentioned in the post before mine, ETC environment plays a lot with defensive lists and units that are not/less of a risk. Armies are paired and every army in a team has a purpose. This purpose can be to go for a minor win or a minor loss. Certain armies are better at being defensive and going for a minor loss against a different army that is very agressive. You are part of a team and often your captain wil ask you to build a certain kind of list and have a certain playstyle. For instance you might be asked to go on the defensive and you will then be paired up against lists that the other armies in your team will have issues beating.